PDA

View Full Version : Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Maine Hockey Fan
05-29-2013, 10:38 AM
I am really pleased with the Choice of Red Gendron as the next head coach of the Maine Hockey Team. I hope to see the Alfond sold out like it used to be in the past. The best choice was made. We need to give Red time to get the program back on track. Can't wait for the season to start.

Shirtless Guy
05-29-2013, 11:20 AM
I like the choice. But I wish Corkum to stay on as top assistant. It goes without saying he has earned it. And I would look now towards hiring another good assistant to compliment these two. This could be outstanding if we can keep Corkum on crew with Gendron and get a strong recruiter type. I will give big thumbs up. Corkum should stay on because there isn't much for him to lose and there won't be a very long number of years(to wait-given he has made his money and/or bones). Wish he stays on. But know if he can't. But wish he would to be a part of a success story. Corkum could make it happen. To me, the best thing to give me hope as a Mainer would be Gendron and Bobby working it out. That would be a remedy to fill the seats. Think about it.I'm sorry but it is very difficult for an assistant coach who didn't get the HC job to remain on staff. He may have earned it but it would be extremely difficult for Corkum to not get bitter about the situation and poison the locker room. I know Maine isn't Michigan Tech but that happen once at MTU where Sertich retired and basically said hire Maroste, his top assistant. MTU chose to hire Jamie Russell and there were many bad stories about Maroste driving wedges between players and Russell. It was not a fun experience.

irishfan85
05-29-2013, 11:48 AM
Am I wrong to think that if Kerluke/Corkum had any intention of staying on they'd have been at the press conference?

BassAle
05-29-2013, 11:49 AM
I think Corkum is a long shot to stay on. Red needs to bring on whomever he thinks brings the most to the table long term and not worry about continuity for the players (something that will really only be an issue for one season). Corkum has the extra baggage of being on board for the entire NCAA drought.

Wish him the best, but those are the breaks when you were an assistant to a fired coach.

amherstblackbear
05-29-2013, 11:52 AM
Am I wrong to think that if Kerluke/Corkum had any intention of staying on they'd have been at the press conference?

That was my impression. Following what shirtless wrote . . . it would be the happiest of endings if Corkum were enthusiastic about staying and Red was able to coax Grant back for a year or two to get things rolling . . . but I don't really see either.

Red's been gone for 20 years. I believe him when he says that he thinks Maine is a special place . . . but two decades away says that most of his contacts in the business, and friends, are out of state. My strong hunch is we see a clean slate.

Drew S.
05-29-2013, 11:58 AM
That was my impression. Following what shirtless wrote . . . it would be the happiest of endings if Corkum were enthusiastic about staying and Red was able to coax Grant back for a year or two to get things rolling . . . but I don't really see either.

Red's been gone for 20 years. I believe him when he says that he thinks Maine is a special place . . . but two decades away says that most of his contacts in the business, and friends, are out of state. My strong hunch is we see a clean slate.

After reading what some of the players said yesterday, I think its better if he goes. You don't want a situation where the players are more loyal to Corkum and are listening to him over Red. It's to high risk in my opinion.

Harry Cleverly
05-29-2013, 12:59 PM
Just stay away from anymore Yale guys. I see some quotes on here how Red will bring Yale's great conditioning to Maine. That said, Yale's fantastic conditioning program was in place 4 years before Red arrived at Yale. I am sure he will take a page from the notebook with him though. He was credited for seasoning the very young Yale D-Corps this past season, and turned Yale's Achilles Heel into an asset I met Red at Yale's Team Banquet last month and he is as genuine and down to earth as he looks. My good friend has three sons who are the stick boys for Yale and when they heard he was leaving, they were absolutely devastated. BTW, Reds not so secret nickname in the Yale stands was Captain Kangaroo! Best of luck to a great Coach.

Captain Kangaroo ... I thought the same thing, and haven't been to a game at Yale in a decade.
Gendron has very good credentials as an assistant coach, but it is always a roll of the dice if good assistants can make good head coaches. Some do, some don't.

There are very few quick fixes, outside of Bazin and Lowell. So Mainiacs will need to give the Captain some time to right the ship.

irishfan85
05-29-2013, 01:02 PM
Read in one article Gendron saying how the genius of Walsh was that he hired good people and let them do their work. I think Gendron knows he'll need a good staff.

Pink Pony
05-29-2013, 01:04 PM
Read in one article Gendron saying how the genius of Walsh was that he hired good people and let them do their work. I think Gendron knows he'll need a good staff.

Candidates?

walrus
05-29-2013, 01:05 PM
I think they are done, would guess they are cleaning out their desks as we speak. I would think Red would want his own guys in there.

gscott13
05-29-2013, 01:16 PM
I think they are done, would guess they are cleaning out their desks as we speak. I would think Red would want his own guys in there.

i agree. i think he wants his own guys in there and given that neither were in attendance yesterday, one can only assume that to be the case... red's comment "To dismiss them without talking to them would be inappropriate" suggests that the decision has been made to dismiss them.

i also agree that when you've got a couple players saying "we wanted bob," you have little choice but to cut ties....

rufus
05-29-2013, 01:17 PM
The players comments about practices are pretty telling if you ask me
http://bangordailynews.com/2013/05/28/sports/umaine-sports/black-bear-hockey-players-excited-to-play-for-gendron-but-also-liked-bob-corkum/?ref=relatedSidebar

Yeah. The entire tone of that article says a lot about where this team has been the last six years or so. "Make us play the right way", "raise the compete level", "not sit back and react to whjat the other team does". As well as red's comment about how he "can't do it all himself".

all bear
05-29-2013, 01:30 PM
Candidates?

Throw these out....some not reasonable, in no particular order:

Guy Perron
Jean Yves Roy
Eric Weinrich
Jim Tortorella
Tim Whitehead :)
Peter Metcalf
Greg Hirch
Campbell Blair

gscott13
05-29-2013, 01:34 PM
Throw these out....some not reasonable, in no particular order:

Guy Perron
Jean Yves Roy
Eric Weinrich
Jim Tortorella
Tim Whitehead :)
Peter Metcalf
Greg Hirch
Campbell Blair

i have a feeling grant will be in the mix as a volunteer in some capacity....

irishfan85
05-29-2013, 01:37 PM
Grant as a volunteer - even if he is in Florida - will be same as Dave Alexander on Skype. :rolleyes:

Drew S.
05-29-2013, 01:42 PM
Grant as a volunteer - even if he is in Florida - will be same as Dave Alexander on Skype. :rolleyes:

Same? Much better IMO.

How about Lucas Lawson or Prestin Ryan? They're both from Canada and I would think are either done playing or close to it.

all bear
05-29-2013, 01:42 PM
i have a feeling grant will be in the mix as a volunteer in some capacity....

Whoops, forgot about the most important guy in Maine hockey...my bad. Who's the kid from Waterville, defenseman that owns Rivalrys....name slips my mind.

gscott13
05-29-2013, 01:45 PM
Whoops, forgot about the most important guy in Maine hockey...my bad. Who's the kid from Waterville, defenseman that owns Rivalrys....name slips my mind.

libby

Priceless
05-29-2013, 01:45 PM
Candidates?

I'm hoping for Guy as top assistant. He was the GA my freshman year and was an assistant under Whitehead. He has no loyalty issues to TW but already has ties to the current team as he recruited some of them. He is currently a scout for the Avalanche. With their change in head coaching, it will be interesting to see if Guy decides it is time to move on.

Obviously everyone wants Grant back, and every person who spoke at the presser yesterday mentioned him. When Jeff Cox asked Coach Red about him, his response was: I'll build a golf course in here if that's what it takes to get Grant back. I don't think he would come back as an assistant, but a consulting role would be realistic.

I hear the new Director of Hockey Operations has a familiar name but I'll let the reporters confirm that first.

gscott13
05-29-2013, 01:46 PM

pay no attention to the nearly 40+ years of experience he has over alexander, or the fact that he assisted dubuque and their goaltenders won two championships in three years.... that was done largely via skype and a couple of weeks onsite during preseason training camp....