X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

Originally posted by pmcdonald View Post
    Article in today's Portland Press Herald by Steve Solloway about Jim Montgomery titled, "He's living in the moment, and the moment's not in Maine".
    Montgomery just led the Dubuque Fighting Saints to the USHL Clark Cup title for the second time in 3 years.
    Montgomery stated that he was never asked to pursue the hockey coaching job at the University of Maine.
    Steve Solloway must not have much to write about this morning if he's still publishing about Monty. Old news... Next...

The task in front of the committee now is to name the best coach of the lot they've been handed, and it will be next week. The thing that continues to amaze me is the secrecy with which the committee has done the search. Most on this Forum are pretty smart UMaine hockey fans (excluding the occasional UNH or BC troller) as well as certifiable InterNut cases. There's not been one good leak anywhere. Just alot of speculation. If Larry was a sleuth, he'd be out of business. No one has been able to verify one candidate coming or going to or from Orono or Portland for meetings or interviews. Not a sniff.

One last thought: If the Denver job didn't come up so suddenly and unexpectedly, Montgomery is the odds-on favorite in Orono and would probably been named by now. IMHO. The Denver job came out of nowhere and he snapped at it. Good for him. Abbott and crew never expected that wrinkle.

Comment

So this alleged search is actually still going on? Is Corkum hiding somewhere or something?

Comment

Question: Have any of the returning Maine players:

a. transferred schools
        b. flunked out
        c. made an early departure of any kind

I am not aware of any.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
          Just say the Denver job came up and he couldn't pass it by even though he was also interested in te Maine job.
          "Did Maine contact you about their head coaching position?"

"The Denver job came up and I couldn't pass it by even though I was interested in the Maine job."

Comes off as pretty evasive. Personally I want to be able to read the truth in an article regardless of what it is. If you are tired of reading his reality of what happened in this situation, then don't be mad at him...be mad at the people that insist on writing the same articles over and over and asking himt he same recycled questions time and again.

Again, he's not the one asking for these stories to be written or calling up the reporters to air some agenda he has with Maine.

Comment

Honest question, would Corkum have taken on the gig of Ivan Hlinka if he honestly thought he'd be named permanent head coach? My only fear is them hiring Gendron or Tortorella over Corkum. Tortorella would be Whitehead2. He's a D3 coach!!

Comment

You are very shortsighted if you think there aren't D3 coaches out there that are completely and totally capable of running successful D1 programs. Likewise there are D1 coaches out there that would struggle to run successful D3 programs.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                Wait, you mean if someone asks you a question you have to answer it?
                ****ed if you do, ****ed if you don't, I guess?

Comment

Originally posted by WIrinkrat View Post
                  You are very shortsighted if you think there aren't D3 coaches out there that are completely and totally capable of running successful D1 programs. Likewise there are D1 coaches out there that would struggle to run successful D3 programs.
                  I'm OK with Division III coaches who would be aggressive and go to the ends of the earth to find good hockey players like Shawn and Grant used to do. What I don't want to see is the D3 mindset that just having good citizens and good students will be satisfactory. Yale has proven that you can win NCAA titles with good student-athletes STILL. Timmy's constant excuse was "We do good in class room blah blah blah..." You can do both.

Comment

• Originally posted by WIrinkrat View Post
                    What about USHL or D1!Assistant Coaches, or NHL coaches?

Coaches come from many different backgrounds.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleA View Post

a. transferred schools
                      b. flunked out

I am not aware of any.
                      Nope. Fairly certain 3/4 or more of the team will make the honor roll for the spring semester.

The only flight risk remains Devin Shore, and that seems incredibly unlikely. He seems at home in Orono and is really enjoying the college experience by all accounts.

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
                        Honest question, would Corkum have taken on the gig of Ivan Hlinka if he honestly thought he'd be named permanent head coach? My only fear is them hiring Gendron or Tortorella over Corkum. Tortorella would be Whitehead2. He's a D3 coach!!
                        Norm Bazin was a D3 coach before Lowell hired him.
                        Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                        "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
                          he also spent 11 years as a DI assistant... tortorella is a career DIII guy (with a short stints as a DI asst) which is the point i think they were trying to make... torts wasn't even the best DIII coach in maine during his time at Colby (Meagher/Bowdoin)
                          Last edited by gscott13; 05-23-2013, 01:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScottK View Post
                            So was George Gwozdecky

Comment

BU's schedule was announced today.

A highlight of this year's Hockey East schedule will be BU's second appearance at Frozen Fenway. After kickstarting the event back in 2010 with a victory over BC, the Terriers will take on Maine on Jan. 11 in the nightcap of a doubleheader that also features a contest between defending league champion UMass Lowell and Northeastern.
                              This verifies the game at Fenway will take the place of the league game at BU in November.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleA View Post

a. transferred schools
                                b. flunked out

I am not aware of any.
                                It appears that most of the returning players want Corkie and if he doesn't land the position it would be doubtful any would leave.

Comment

Working...
                                X