X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
    I hope for Bob's sake that if they lowball him he rejects.
    I honestly don't think he has the leverage to do that. He's "all in" and it's obvious he wants the job, and I'm sure UMaine (or any other program in a similar position) will take advantage of that, give him a nice raise from his current deal, but nothing approaching what Whitehead or others with similar head coaching experience can demand.

Corkum would take the job IF offered, with nominal negotiations, and then just go to work figuring he'll earn his big payday when (not if) he turns the program around. That's how folks in the coaching ranks see these things.

Do you think Corkum could look hiimself in the mirror after THE JOB was offered to him, and he passed it up just for money??? You don't quibble when the "chance of a lifetime" comes knocking.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
      Does Grant have much for ties with the current Maine administration? I think that could be the biggest reason they haven't been in touch.
      It doesn't matter if they've been in touch or not. he lives right in Bangor, and he's one of the foremost hockey minds in the country, it's a no-brainer to want someone like that weeding through your potential coaching candidates. What he used to look for in players, heart and hockey sense, he could just as well judge in a potential next coach.

No brainer though. I guess that's wht the university didn't go for it.
      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Just want to say that make sure all you fans let the AD and the school know that you are expecting them to leave no stone unturned in finding the best available coach that will turn your program around not in four years but the day he takes the reins. At least your school is conducting a national search, just hope that they are taking it as seriously as possible...if not, just point them towards Lake State as the prime example of what happens to a once dominant program who decided to scimp on what really matters and got its just desserts.

Comment

Would Maine ever stoop to hiring a coach with ties to UNH? Dave Lassonde (now at Denver), Brian McCloskey (now UNHwomen's coach) and Scott Borek (former Colby HC & currently ***'t at UNH) all jave solid
          resumes......just wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by FRICKER View Post
            Would Maine ever stoop to hiring a coach with ties to UNH? Dave Lassonde (now at Denver), Brian McCloskey (now UNHwomen's coach) and Scott Borek (former Colby HC & currently ***'t at UNH) all jave solid
            resumes......just wondering.
            Very, very, very, very doubtful. Closest I could ever see would be Jim Tortorella and he's a Maine guy anyway, and would be considered a real long shot. Dont forget, its UHN not UNH
            sure why not

Comment

With the last figure of $195k paid to TW for his Final Year of his 3 yr deal what do people think that Maine would pay on the High end..? I don't see Maine going more then between 800k & 850k for a 4 yr Deal...and that would be for a say a Gwozdecky type Coach/with a resume of Frozen 4's and winning Programs in a long term base.

Comment

Article on search. Some good points made.

http://www.kjonline.com/sports/maine...013-04-20.html

Comment

Why would Maine want to hire the guy who ran Lake State into the ground? We've already had one of those.
                  What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                    With the last figure of $195k paid to TW for his Final Year of his 3 yr deal what do people think that Maine would pay on the High end..? I don't see Maine going more then between 800k & 850k for a 4 yr Deal...and that would be for a say a Gwozdecky type Coach/with a resume of Frozen 4's and winning Programs in a long term base.
                    I agree with your assessment on what would likely be offered to a Gwoz type coach - although Gwoz would probably want a little more than that - but for Corkum or someone of that profile (i.e. career assistant w/no D-1 HC experience), my guess is they'd top out at 3 yrs. and @ $450K-$500K.
                    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                      I'm kind of with runsub here, though I'm not sure who's really to blame. It could be as simple as Larry getting along well with Jimmy, and being able to get him to comment by phone or email. Maybe talking to Jimmy is an easy article.

To the point of *this* article -- it does seem strange that Standbrook wasn't the very first person Maine contacted regarding the search.

Still, I do think it's getting to be time for Jimmy to stop making public comments regarding Maine hockey -- and for Larry to stop asking. The miscommunication surrounding Maine's search isn't all on Abbott. Jimmy's comments about never being contacted may have been literally true, in the context of the specific question he was asked, but they were misleading nevertheless. If he were really interested in the job, he could have been more proactive when he DID speak to Abbott. He could have told DU that he needed a couple days to sleep on the offer, and quietly gotten Maine on the phone.

Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge Jimmy making what he thought was a good career move re: Denver. I'll root for him there. But don't need to hear about how he bleeds Maine blue. He can't have it both ways.
                      Man, not sure where your brain is at. So, because this "tardy" program can't figure out what they want(knowing full well what they are going to do) in time and we lose a guy. A guy that - wants the job, is qualified, has the top accolades of any player every to wear the jersey.... after all that you don't need to hear about how he bleeds Maine blue. ??? And he can't have it both ways. ???

Something is definitely rotten in the state of...

Garbage. Use some logic in this situation - or else stick with your IndianaPio full time and realize the bridge you set on fire as you walk along it. Stick to a position. You can't have it both ways.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                        Man, not sure where your brain is at. So, because this "tardy" program can't figure out what they want(knowing full well what they are going to do) in time and we lose a guy. A guy that - wants the job, is qualified, has the top accolades of any player every to wear the jersey.... after all that you don't need to hear about how he bleeds Maine blue. ??? And he can't have it both ways. ???

Something is definitely rotten in the state of...

Garbage. Use some logic in this situation - or else stick with your IndianaPio full time and realize the bridge you set on fire as you walk along it. Stick to a position. You can't have it both ways.
                        One has to consider the possibility, though painful as it is to long term Maine fans, that maybe Jimmay was more interested in the DU job when it became available than the Maine job. Maybe Jimmay was trying to let his loyal fans down gently by putting some blame back on the university for not contacting him, knowing full well the Mainuhs would not appreciate his going elsewhere. So he bleeds blue to a point where it interferes with his own interests.
                        sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by all bear View Post
                          One has to consider the possibility, though painful as it is to long term Maine fans, that maybe Jimmay was more interested in the DU job when it became available than the Maine job. Maybe Jimmay was trying to let his loyal fans down gently by putting some blame back on the university for not contacting him, knowing full well the Mainuhs would not appreciate his going elsewhere. So he bleeds blue to a point where it interferes with his own interests.
                          Bingo.

I'm not saying this entire situation doesn't smell rotten. What I *am* saying is that Jimmy is probably trying to have it both ways. He was never coming to Orono. But he gets to keep his Maine cred by making sure the blame falls on Steve Abbott (who, granted, is an easy target).

Clearly, Jimmy has no problem talking to the media. He's a GD pro at it. If he really in his heart of hearts wanted the Maine job, he could have put all kinds of pressure on Maine. He didn't. He only started making public comments after he had the DU interview lined up. He's where he wants to be, and that isn't Orono.

I think Jimmy supporters are right that Maine might have had a shot at him if they'd acted faster. I just think it would have had to have been a whole lot faster. As in, firing Whitehead last december faster. Even if Maine had announced a shortlist immediately after letting Whitehead go, they'd still have been going up against DU with their search, and Jimmy would still be a Pio.

edit:

My thinking has changed since I came up with the Pio username. Back then, it looked like this was complete and utter incompetence by the administration. Then I asked myself, why would Jimmy say that nobody from Maine had spoken to him the very same week that . . . wait for it . . . someone from Maine had spoken to him? Even if it wasn't officially about the job . . . he has to know that - at best - he's splitting hairs. And he's splitting hairs in a way that deflects attention away from him and on to Abbott. That's not a very classy thing to do.

Maybe Larry either misquoted him or put his words out of context. Yeah, that's it. Larry hasn't exactly won any Pulitzers for investigative reporting . . . Jimmy's probably annoyed with him, too. There's just one problem: if Larry's using Jimmy to portray the administration in a bad light, this is a very recent development. From afar, it seems like the guy has bent over backwards not to challenge Maine. Then Larry published another article quoting Jimmy. Then another.

I don't want to speculate what Jimmy's game is, here . . . or what his motives are. But this thing doesn't exactly reflect well on him, either. At this point, honestly, I think he should focus on winning the USHL title, and then move on to his new job. Continuing to comment on Maine doesn't reflect well on him. Purely my opinion. Others may see it differently.
                          Last edited by amherstblackbear; 04-22-2013, 09:56 AM.
                          1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

As a Denver fan and a Maine resident, I would love to see Gwoz get the job in Orono!! Selfish reasons aside, Gwoz is the man and would be a huge catch for Maine. He is a proven winner, classy, well spoken and colorful (see "dasher dance" against at North Dakota, or the walk across the ice to question a lame ref and then the ensuing ejection). He puts a huge emphasis on academics and good behavior on and off the ice. In the Championship game against Maine in 2004, he benched Lukas Dora, our third leading scorer for breaking a team rule (we never did find out what happened there) Anyway, after watching him for 19 years, I can't say enough about this coach. He turned around the program at DU and he can do the same at Maine. As we always said on the "ALL things Denver" thread, "In Gwoz we trust"
                            "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                            Tom Serratore

Comment

I posted this link over on the Yale page too, but I thought the folks from Maine would like see what Red Gendron has been up to lately. If you want to fast forward near the last minute he has a good story about his time at Scott Pellerin's wedding and a discussion he had with Garth Snow and Keith Carney.

http://road2thepros.com/2013/04/21/r...ience-to-yale/

Comment

Originally posted by Larson210 View Post
                                I posted this link over on the Yale page too, but I thought the folks from Maine would like see what Red Gendron has been up to lately. If you want to fast forward near the last minute he has a good story about his time at Scott Pellerin's wedding and a discussion he had with Garth Snow and Keith Carney.

http://road2thepros.com/2013/04/21/r...ience-to-yale/
                                Im beginning to think ole Red is the second coming of Grant Standbrook .
                                sure why not

Comment

Working...
                                X