This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dover4345 View Post

Second, someone asked why he was the lowest paid coach in the league...first, no one knows how much he makes---so that statement is an assumption. Second, even if he is, he was on his first nhl contract...it's not a lack of commitment on the islanders part---they gave him an opportunity and he made the most of it---now they will pay him. It makes complete and logical sense that he was one of the lowest paid coaches in the league---it was his first nhl gig! With time and success he will get more of a say in the decisions that are made.

I know the Islanders have made a lot of questionable moves to say the least...but for once things are going well...even they are smart enough to realize that...they will keep their coach....Garth will do everything in his power to keep him, pay him, and accommodate him...
    That would be me. Its been reported that he has the lowest salary of any head coach, and I have no reason to doubt it. As for getting more control over decision making, you're the one making assumptions. The fact is that the Isles hedged their bets from day 1 by restricting Cap's responsibilities to coaching the players he's been given. He hasn't had the authority to pick his own staff, and the Isles have gone so far as to give one of his assistants more control over personnel than he has, as head coach. I agree Cap has earned more responsibility, but that doesn't mean he'll get it.

If the Isles offer Cap a good contract, I would be shocked if he leaves. But if they keep hedging their bets, Cap has to know that he's one losing streak away from seeing Doug Weight take his job (it's how Cap got the job, after all).

If it were Detroit, I'd give Ilitch the benefit of the doubt. The Red Wings are a great organization. The Isles? No. Who knows what they'll do. That's the only reason I have any hope that something might come of this.
    1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

• Re: Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
      of course, maine's next coach will have as many national championships as umile...

listen, you act as though people aren't realists that hiring cap is a long shot... and in the absence of any kind of official names being reported (remember, larry's articles have essentially included nothing more than his guesses as to candidates, and frankly, what he reads here), people are going to speculate on a myriad of options... some will be plausible, some, not so much... the only thing we know for sure is that corkum is a candidate...

that said, your opinions on the matter are no more speculative than anyone else's... how do you know capuano isn't interested? how do you know gendron is? right now you don't, no more than i do. while i think cap would be a good fit, i, like you doubt he'll be leaving the isles, but is it completely outside the realm of possibility? only cap knows that.

one thing is for certain, the search committee has been exceptional at keeping their mouths quiet on the matter....
      I'm still holding out hope for Scotty Bowman!

Comment

• Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
        That would be me. Its been reported that he has the lowest salary of any head coach, and I have no reason to doubt it. As for getting more control over decision making, you're the one making assumptions. The fact is that the Isles hedged their bets from day 1 by restricting Cap's responsibilities to coaching the players he's been given. He hasn't had the authority to pick his own staff, and the Isles have gone so far as to give one of his assistants more control over personnel than he has, as head coach. I agree Cap has earned more responsibility, but that doesn't mean he'll get it.

If the Isles offer Cap a good contract, I would be shocked if he leaves. But if they keep hedging their bets, Cap has to know that he's one losing streak away from seeing Doug Weight take his job (it's how Cap got the job, after all).

If it were Detroit, I'd give Ilitch the benefit of the doubt. The Red Wings are a great organization. The Isles? No. Who knows what they'll do. That's the only reason I have any hope that something might come of this.
        The only thing that has factually been reported is that the islanders do not share contract details...there is no evidence that he is the lowest paid coach...there is no evidence that his contract is up...no one knows...it's an assumption...

Secondly, it is confirmed that both red Gendron and Jim Tortorella are both interested and have interviewed. USHR.com stated both to be official candidates...from my experience that is not a gossip site---those guys generally have their pulse on things...just recently they broke the mike bavis resigning story---it turned out to be true...they seem to be in the rinks...they seem to speak to the coaches...we know that those two are being considered....

Comment

Originally posted by dover4345 View Post
          The Islanders almost took out the most talented team in the NHL. They have a young team with some fantastic draft picks yet to even make their NHL debut.
          Nice try. The Islanders didn't do any such thing. They lost a series to Pittsburgh 4-2, got outscored 25-17 and got shut out twice by the lacklustre Fleury, the League Ranked 19th goaltender in the NHL.
          Was Cap responsible for getting them back in the playoffs? Yes.
          Did they get a terrible draw in the 1st Round? Yes.
          Is Cap's future with the Isles safe, secure, cemented for the next several years? No. NFW.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
            How many big-time coaching opportunities are there around Bangor?
            One.

Comment

• Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post

Look, I'm not saying its totally impossible that capuano is hired...I just think it is highly unlikely. It does not make financial or professional sense. Everything this guy has done in his career indicates that his goal is to win a Stanley cup, not an NCAA title...it just makes no sense to me that as soon as his career is beginning to take off that he would take a huge pay cut and drop back a couple levels...

If he had young kids I would still consider it a long shot---but we're talking about a guy whose kids are both in college. I just think its an incredibly optimistic idea...

Yes, I am a unh fan. I'm not trying to get into a ****ing contest... I get it...we have no national titles---you guys have 2...I'd take that...that said, the state of our program is currently much better.

It is my belief that Maine needs to hire a college guy with a large network. They need to start getting players again. The level of talent has dropped off significantly.

Comment

• Originally posted by DoubleA View Post
                Nice try. The Islanders didn't do any such thing. They lost a series to Pittsburgh 4-2, got outscored 25-17 and got shut out twice by the lacklustre Fleury, the League Ranked 19th goaltender in the NHL.
                Was Cap responsible for getting them back in the playoffs? Yes.
                Did they get a terrible draw in the 1st Round? Yes.
                Is Cap's future with the Isles safe, secure, cemented for the next several years? No. NFW.

First off----yes, they did almost beat them...anyone watching that series would acknowledge that...looking at the overall score is not a good indicator of how the series went...the islanders got stronger the series went on and were a bounce away from game 7...

Secondly...if cap did come to Maine he would likely be given a 5 year contract. 190k X 5 years is 950k... There is no guarantee that he would make it past 5 years... College is far different than pro hockey. If he hired the wrong assistants and was not able to get players he would likely be out after his 5 years...

If his contract is indeed up, he is due for a raise. He now has leverage...does he have job security? No. Could he get a 2 year deal right now? Most likely...2 years X 1 million a year is a guaranteed 2 million....

What would you do? Seriously....any person with any sense would take the 2 year deal worth 2 million. It's best for his career, it's best for his family, it's just better...

He will get a longer deal at Maine, no doubt...but the numbers just don't add up---along with throwing away e everything he's worked his whole life for....

Comment

First off----yes, they did almost beat them...anyone watching that series would acknowledge that...looking at the overall score is not a good indicator of how the series went...the islanders got stronger the series went on and were a bounce away from game 7...
                  I watched the series. Yes, admittedly, the Isles played pretty well. So if they got so much stronger as the series went on that they lost games 5 and 6 (Game 5 a shutout, Game 6 at home) how is that almost beating the Penguins? That is NOT almost beating anyone. Duh.

Hey, I almost made a hole-in-one last Saturday on 13 at CAGC. But the ball went one foot wide of the hole and 15' past. Then I two-putted for a par. Good hole.

Comment

Methinks UHN fans should spend more time worrying about how to get rid of Umile and estabilish a program of stepping up in the big games versus worrying about who takes the reins at Maine with their established history of winning and accomplishments, not to mention occupied trophy case. So in other words, get the F outta here.
                    Last edited by all bear; 05-22-2013, 06:26 PM.
                    sure why not

Comment

Look, I'm not saying its totally impossible that capuano is hired...I just think it is highly unlikely. It does not make financial or professional sense. Everything this guy has done in his career indicates that his goal is to win a Stanley cup, not an NCAA title...it just makes no sense to me that as soon as his career is beginning to take off that he would take a huge pay cut and drop back a couple levels...

If he had young kids I would still consider it a long shot---but we're talking about a guy whose kids are both in college. I just think its an incredibly optimistic idea...

Yes, I am a unh fan. I'm not trying to get into a ****ing contest... I get it...we have no national titles---you guys have 2...I'd take that...that said, the state of our program is currently much better.

It is my belief that Maine needs to hire a college guy with a large network. They need to start getting players again. The level of talent has dropped off significantly.
                      What a waste of bandwidth, their isn't a Maine poster on here that doesn't think Cap is longshot, nor is there anyone who doesn't know the talent level has dropped in Orono.
                      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                        What a waste of bandwidth, their isn't a Maine poster on here that doesn't think Cap is longshot, nor is there anyone who doesn't know the talent level has dropped in Orono.
                        +1....long Holiday weekend ahead,after that everything will be in place. Good or Bad...????

Comment

Alain Vigneault is available!

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                            John Tortorella also played ball at Maine, utility infielder I believe, primarily third base. I don't think he was the greatest ballplayer, but Winkin said he was a hellluva bench jockey.
                            Well I struck out on this one! Was at Maine for John's senior year but missed his baseball prowess. Let's hope I don't strike out on my other prediction which I first put forth and now everyone else is talking about!;-)

Comment

• Originally posted by all bear View Post
                              Methinks UHN fans should spend more time worrying about how to get rid of Umile and estabilish a program of stepping up in the big games versus worrying about who takes the reins at Maine with their established history of winning and accomplishments, not to mention occupied trophy case. So in other words, get the F outta here.
                              Classy post. Btw, your history is built on recruiting scandals and unethical behavior. Since Maine was caught the program has been in a slow decline back to reality. Get mad if you want but it is true. Deal with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wildcat13 View Post
                                Classy post. Btw, your history is built on recruiting scandals and unethical behavior. Since Maine was caught the program has been in a slow decline back to reality. Get mad if you want but it is true. Deal with it.
                                Since Maine was caught it won a second national championship and made 6 frozen fours!

Comment

Working...
                                X