X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

Originally posted by revoman View Post
    You accept the USAH position to meet the kids and to open up recruiting doors for those that have not already "committed". As I recall, Walsh did quite a bit with some of the USAH developmental teams as well...
    Yes, I would agree with this...That said, Corks was a coach on last years squad...Not a single player on that team even considered coming to Maine...

If people are upset with he candidate list they should not blame salary. There are plenty of coaches out there who put opportunity in front of salary. I heard one poster say to forget about facilities and start paying the coaches more. Well, the reason good coaches (Jim Montgomery) do not want to go to Maine is because they do not have the infrastructure in place to sustain success. They used to, but not anymore. Its is kind of like walking into a job with the noose already around your neck. The expectations are super high up in Orono and the fans expect a top four team. Is the infrastructure in place to consistently be a top four team with BC, BU, Notre Dame, UNH, and UConn in the league?

Getting a kid to go all the way up to Maine is tough as it is. It is even tougher when your facilities are incredibly far behind your competition. This is going to be a tough job for whoever gets the job. I think that is why the list is not as good as some people would like it to be. Monty would have never gone to Denver if he felt he could sustain success at Maine. It was not about money, it was about where can he have success as a head coach?

Comment

Originally posted by dover4345 View Post
      Is the infrastructure in place to consistently be a top four team with BC, BU, Notre Dame, UNH, and UConn in the league?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        As a Wings' fan, it's been frustrating in recent seasons to see some talented, older teams come up short in close series losses, with a big slice of blame to be attributed to an inexperienced Howard learning the ropes at the NHL level. But last year, and especially this year, Howard has emerged as a top-tier NHL goalie, and I firmly believe he's been the team MVP this season ... and that's on a team with guys named Datsyuk and Zetterberg, so that's no small feat. Right now, with a very green defense (arguably at least as green overall as the B's defense) he is the guy who has given them the confidence to play their game, knowing if they mess up, Howard will probably bail them out. That hasn't been the case really until this season, but right now I wouldn't trade Howard for anyone. His mechanics right now are virtually flawless.

I was thinking the same thing recently about Nyquist as the "Datsyuk of the future", and it's important to remember that Datsyuk wasn't always the same two-way player he's now become. Like Babcock says in the video on this thread, when you have guys like Yzerman and Lidstrom, and now Datsyuk (and Zetterberg and Kronwall) to learn from, you almost have to be brain dead not to pick something up from their good habits. If Nyquist can spend some extra time in the weight room, the sky's the limit for that kid ...
        While we are singing Jimmy’s praises here, during the broadcast of Detroit’s game the other night “Doc” Emrick mentioned that Jimmy hadn’t forgot his roots. At the beginning of the youth hockey season last fall back in New York Jimmy bought blue hockey shirts for all the players; he’s not only a great player but an outstanding individual, something most Maine fans already knew.

Comment

• Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
          Hire the NY Islanders Head Coach and get it over with.

Comment

Originally posted by dover4345 View Post
            Is the infrastructure in place to consistently be a top four team with BC, BU, Notre Dame, UNH, and UConn in the league?
            Did you just say UConn will be a HE power? Bahahahahaha!

Originally posted by Priceless View Post

UConn must be the thimbleful we can't see behind the BC bowl.
            bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
            SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
            All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
            A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
              Did you just say UConn will be a HE power? Bahahahahaha!

UConn must be the thimbleful we can't see behind the BC bowl.
              There are better players in connecticut than NH, Maine, and Vermont combined---so yes, I think that gives them a nice advantage.

Their athletic department also has more money than those three schools combined.

A nice rink with all top notch faciltiies WILL be in place in the next 4 or 5 years.

So to answer your question, yes I think UConn is a school that will be a contender in 5-10 years.

Comment

And the athletic department continues to be a joke.........at least the national media is questioning how things operate up there, unlike the Puppet Paper (BDN).

Comment

• Abbott was on the PM Jab tonight and pretty much reiterated what was in the BDN article... He's confident that they will be announcing a new coach in the next week, the unnamed finalists all have a common theme about them, and that they have taken their time to make sure they get it right because of how important the role is to both the team and the athletics at maine in general...

He did seem sincere in his words and didn't seem to be faking it

Comment

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
                    the unnamed finalists all have a common theme about them
                    They're all hockey coaches?

Comment

Some more chatter:

http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2013...anders-coaches

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                        Just a gut feeling from an admitted outsider, but I think by the end of the month, Gendron is going to be the guy. Tortorella being a close second (appropos for a current UNH guy I suppose ). The longer this has gone on, the less likely it's going to be Corkum, but in fairness, I'd have expected a more impressive cast of candidates. But Gendron has been a part of a lot of successful teams/programs, and that's usually not a coincidence. If I was choosing among those 4 candidates, that's the guy I'd be picking.
                        And the fans go crazy with excitement. Bonfires!!! Burning motorcycles!!!

If it's any of those guys, They'll have to win, win right away, and win a lot if there's to be a revival in the enthusiasm for the Maine hockey program.
                        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post

If it's any of those guys, They'll have to win, win right away, and win a lot if there's to be a revival in the enthusiasm for the Maine hockey program.
                          You forgot "and hope jimmy struggles in denver"

Comment

It will be Capuano. All signs pointing to it.
                            sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by all bear View Post
                              It will be Capuano. All signs pointing to it.
                              *****http://cdn1.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/Magic-8-Ball-movie.jpg******

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post

Not if Capuano is hired. BTW wasn't Capuano a two sport athlete? Or am I think of Tepper. Anyways, Capuano would bring an enthusiasm. And it might be a win-win where Corkum stays on as top assistant. That could be just what the doctor ordered.

Having said that, I won't hold my breath as that seems way to hopeful. Given it took so long to get to this point, our luck hasn't been good. So anything more than a snail behind the bench could be aan improvement. But, one can hope, and I do think that would be a deadly scenario. Capuano with Corkum as a top assistant with a careful choice of a solid recruiter. That would be an overhaul.

Comment

Working...
                                X