This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

Oftentimes when you've made that kind of money, you find you dont need it. Sure its nice, but there are a lot of other things in life more important. Sure, its nice to have, but being close to the family and living in a more laid back community definitely has its pluses. Doesnt Jimmay still maintain a camp on Lucerne ? Heres a guy making booko bucks from NY keeping his roots in rural Maine.
    sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by Pink Pony
      I agree home is where his heart is. I bet Jack goes home.
      Wonder what his brother David is doing nowadays
      sure why not

Comment

These are heady days for the Isles. No, it's not as prestigious as coaching in Madison Sq Garden, but the Isles are back in the playoffs, have a star to build around, and are moving out of the mausoleum, to the city. It would be an odd time to say "**** this," to put it mildly.

It really would have to be a deliberate lifestyle change. But it happens, so who knows?
        1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

You make it seems as though his coaching in the NHL makes it impossible to watch his kid play ball...what do you think he is doing now? Watching his kid play ball.

Do you think the time committment will be less at UMaine? Are you nuts. Time committment at Maine is far more than in the NHL. Right now he gets paid WAY more, and only has to worry about hockey. Thats it. Coach hockey. He doesnt do the draft, he doesnt sell tickets, and doesnt pick the team--he just coaches. At Maine he will have to leave home often to recruit (if hes any good), raise money, coach hockey, deal with faculty, etc... There is saying in pro hockey---"Its an awfully long season, but the days are really short."

If he wants to spend time with his family the best route would be to coach in the NHL for a few more years, make your money, and retire young... Not coach at Maine for the next 15-20 until your hair has fallen out...

Id say there is about a 1% chance of him being the next head coach...at best...

Comment

Originally posted by dover4345 View Post
            You make it seems as though his coaching in the NHL makes it impossible to watch his kid play ball...what do you think he is doing now? Watching his kid play ball.

Do you think the time committment will be less at UMaine? Are you nuts. Time committment at Maine is far more than in the NHL. Right now he gets paid WAY more, and only has to worry about hockey. Thats it. Coach hockey. He doesnt do the draft, he doesnt sell tickets, and doesnt pick the team--he just coaches. At Maine he will have to leave home often to recruit (if hes any good), raise money, coach hockey, deal with faculty, etc... There is saying in pro hockey---"Its an awfully long season, but the days are really short."

If he wants to spend time with his family the best route would be to coach in the NHL for a few more years, make your money, and retire young... Not coach at Maine for the next 15-20 until your hair has fallen out...

His kids will be all grown up in a few years. $200K in Eastern Maine is plenty of money to live a decent life. Hopefully he has some put away from coaching in the NHL the last few years too. I agree the time commitment at Maine is a lot, but at least he is seeing his family everyday and sleeping in his own bed most nights. I will have a lot of respect for him if he takes the job.
            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

I have no idea whether this is fantasy or reality. I too would typically dismiss any coach in the NHL going back to college. Though there are some (Andy Murray the latest) who have gone that route. But there are lots of extenuating circumstances for Jack. His family has grown up during the 20 years he has been coaching and I am sure separation from his family who live in Bangor when he is coaching has to have been tough.

What I don't understand is why every post of yours is an insult? What is insulting is stating he has more time as an NHL coach than he would at Maine! Dinner 4 or 5 nights a week with his wife in Bangor and his kids attending U.Maine would mean he could see them whenever he wants. His lifestyle would be much more "normal" than going September to May living on Long Island away from his family.

So here is what we know.

Contract with Isles is up. No doubt job is his if he wants it, and most would want to stay and Garth would certainly reward him. However here are other indisputable facts. Family lives in Bangor, son will play for Maine baseball next year, daughter attends U. Maine too. Shawn Walsh was one of his greatest role models, and he works for an organization in the Islanders that is very Maine centric. When Tim was let go Abbott indicated there were several candidates within the Maine family that they would be looking at, and that there was a need to reenergize the fan base, and at the same time bring in someone with head coaching experience. Now I ask you would the list of candidates you were hanging your hat on do that??? Gwoz would be the only one and you stated he was along shot. Corkum does not do that, and the other person who I think it could be if not Cap, Cronin also does not do that.

Jack does that! WHich is why I find the announcement of him being inducted into the Hall of Fame class of 2013 interesting. He is deserving! But it also serves to generate awareness of his Maine pedigree and his current status as an NHL coach. Abbott comes from the world of politics, and this is a perfect political move, and would lead to even more excitement should he be named. Again I am just using logic on this. I have no inside knowledge, but I have been observing this for awhile without posting and when the banquet passed without an announcement it did not take a Mensa candidate to understand that if it were Corkum it would be a done deal and he could assume the mantel in time for the banquet and when the kids left.

By the way not far fetched that if it is Cap, Corkum stays. They were teammates at Maine and this could be a 5-year deal. WHo knows? Stranger things have happened in hockey! Did you hear the one about a team in game 7 being down 4-1 only to tie it by scoring 2 goals and the goalie pulled and then winning in OT! Never mind no one would believe it!

I am betting this time next week we will have recommendations by the committee and it will be either Cronin or Cap, and until then, as someone who watched Jack play and was in Lake Placid for his Final Four (was not frozen in those old days) I will keep the dream alive. As for David according to Wiki he lives in Cranston, RI and coaches youth hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by BobF View Post
                I have no idea whether this is fantasy or reality. I too would typically dismiss any coach in the NHL going back to college. Though there are some (Andy Murray the latest) who have gone that route. But there are lots of extenuating circumstances for Jack. His family has grown up during the 20 years he has been coaching and I am sure separation from his family who live in Bangor when he is coaching has to have been tough.

What I don't understand is why every post of yours is an insult? What is insulting is stating he has more time as an NHL coach than he would at Maine! Dinner 4 or 5 nights a week with his wife in Bangor and his kids attending U.Maine would mean he could see them whenever he wants. His lifestyle would be much more "normal" than going September to May living on Long Island away from his family.

So here is what we know.

Contract with Isles is up. No doubt job is his if he wants it, and most would want to stay and Garth would certainly reward him. However here are other indisputable facts. Family lives in Bangor, son will play for Maine baseball next year, daughter attends U. Maine too. Shawn Walsh was one of his greatest role models, and he works for an organization in the Islanders that is very Maine centric. When Tim was let go Abbott indicated there were several candidates within the Maine family that they would be looking at, and that there was a need to reenergize the fan base, and at the same time bring in someone with head coaching experience. Now I ask you would the list of candidates you were hanging your hat on do that??? Gwoz would be the only one and you stated he was along shot. Corkum does not do that, and the other person who I think it could be if not Cap, Cronin also does not do that.

Jack does that! WHich is why I find the announcement of him being inducted into the Hall of Fame class of 2013 interesting. He is deserving! But it also serves to generate awareness of his Maine pedigree and his current status as an NHL coach. Abbott comes from the world of politics, and this is a perfect political move, and would lead to even more excitement should he be named. Again I am just using logic on this. I have no inside knowledge, but I have been observing this for awhile without posting and when the banquet passed without an announcement it did not take a Mensa candidate to understand that if it were Corkum it would be a done deal and he could assume the mantel in time for the banquet and when the kids left.

By the way not far fetched that if it is Cap, Corkum stays. They were teammates at Maine and this could be a 5-year deal. WHo knows? Stranger things have happened in hockey! Did you hear the one about a team in game 7 being down 4-1 only to tie it by scoring 2 goals and the goalie pulled and then winning in OT! Never mind no one would believe it!

I am betting this time next week we will have recommendations by the committee and it will be either Cronin or Cap, and until then, as someone who watched Jack play and was in Lake Placid for his Final Four (was not frozen in those old days) I will keep the dream alive. As for David according to Wiki he lives in Cranston, RI and coaches youth hockey.
                Well, one can wish.

I suppose I like this thought, JCap with Corkum and a later to be named goalie coach.

But you mentioned something about using logic vs. emotion.

Logic would tend to temper these expectations.

However, logic can't forgive not giving Jimmy an interview.

Hope you are right. But I think you if have to read back on that Q&A with Jimmy, you would realize one of two things... he was set aside and disregarded - or he is a liar. I tend to believe in a guy that gave everything he had every time he was on the ice over some suit behind a desk that milks his way through life. Why? I do not know... actually I do, because this is business as usual in the real world. Milk what you can when you can with little regard of the implications. Sort of disgusting, but it is what our business practices have been breeding.

Color me unemotional and more logical.

Comment

• Originally posted by BobF View Post

So here is what we know.

Look, I'm not trying to insult you. I'm just being realistic and speculating about actual candidates. Capuano is not one. It's a complete pipe dream. Andy Murray was unemployed when he took the western Michigan job...he was fired and needed work. No coach has ever walked away from an NHL job to be a college coach. Now, before I go down that path I will state this... His kids ARE grown. He has two kids off in college and while I do not know if they are living in the dorms, my guess is that they probably do...and if they don't they probably aren't home for dinner, they have social lives and are going to be enjoying college. This isn't the case of a guy away from two young kids and missing them grow up---that is the picture you are trying to paint, but it's not reality...

What is real is that when his kids were young he was off coaching the Pee Dee Pride and the Mississippi sea wolves in the east coast league....he missed a lot of his kids childhood to pursue a dream...guess what that dream was? Coach in the NHL and win a Stanley cup. Cap wants to win a cup. He got a haste of that this year. He has made a lot of sacrifices in his life to get where he is right now and you expect him to throw it all away for what? To make far less money, but he gets to live in Bangor? If cap wanted to be in Bangor he could have done it long ago. He would not make the switch after his most successful year as a coach and when his value is at its highest.

Even talking about this is foolish...1percent chance....that's all...he's not a candidate. He has not applied for the job. He's not going to apply for the job. I will cease posting if he takes the job, you have my word on that.

There are many people with Maine ties who are real candidates. Red Gendron is one of them. Used to coach at Maine. Has NCAA titles and Stanley cup rings. He is an actual candidate. Jim Tortorella is a former Maine goalie who is the all time winningest coach at Colby and has been at unh the last 2 years. He is an actual candidate. Corkum is a real candidate. He's a umaine alum...so there you have it...Maine connections...

Increasing fan support? Only Monty would have done that and when he made those comments probably had Monty in mind...

I get your a Maine fan. I get that capuano would make splash...but it's not happening and isn't worth talking about because its that unrealistic. There is so much to like about where the islanders are at. I'm sure caps wife is with him as much as he wants her to be...money makes the world go round my friend

Comment

• Originally posted by BobF View Post

So here is what we know.

No college head coach has walked away from his job...wanted to clarify that...also, Cronin won't want the Maine job...he too has a great gig that he is happy with. I happen to have had quite a few conversations with Greg Cronin and I can say that there is a reason he left northeastern. Cronin didnt just decide to leave northeastern, he decided to leave college hockey. He wants to be a pro coach...he is pursuing that. Toronto is also young and promising...don't hold your breath for him...not happening...focus on the guys who are actually applying, not the ones you would want...

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                      Well, one can wish.

I suppose I like this thought, JCap with Corkum and a later to be named goalie coach.

But you mentioned something about using logic vs. emotion.

Logic would tend to temper these expectations.

However, logic can't forgive not giving Jimmy an interview.

Hope you are right. But I think you if have to read back on that Q&A with Jimmy, you would realize one of two things... he was set aside and disregarded - or he is a liar. I tend to believe in a guy that gave everything he had every time he was on the ice over some suit behind a desk that milks his way through life. Why? I do not know... actually I do, because this is business as usual in the real world. Milk what you can when you can with little regard of the implications. Sort of disgusting, but it is what our business practices have been breeding.

Color me unemotional and more logical.
                      Jimmy was not denied an interview. What jimmy said was that he was not contacted by Maine. Do I think Maine should have immediately picked up the phone and called him and offered him the job as soon as whitehead was fired? Yes. But at that time the Denver job was not available.

I believe that jimmy is trying to play both sides of the fence here... Appear loyal to Maine, but at the same time looking out for his own interests.

Again, dealing in reality, the Denver job is better. Better location, better facilities, better funding, better, better, and better.

If jimmy wanted Maine HE WOULD HAVE CALLED the AD...he simply stated that he was not contacted. I'm sure Maine had not contacted anyone at that point. Abbott surely felt that this was a premiere job that opened up and that he would be able to sit back and hire whoever he wanted. It was a mistake, no doubt...but even if he had contacted Monty he would still likely be at Denver.

Comment

If jimmy wanted Maine HE WOULD HAVE CALLED the AD...he simply stated that he was not contacted..
                        CHN: The Maine AD (Steve Abbott) said there was some contact early on.

Montgomery: I reached out to him. It was never them contacting me. I want to make that clear.

CHN: You can see how some people are perplexed by that, considering your status as an accomplished alum at Maine.

Montgomery: I'm very quizzical and perplexed like you are. As an alum of a proud program, I will help in any way I can.

CHN: Are there problems there that would prevent the program from getting back to where it once was?

Montgomery: I personally believe that with leadership, the proper leadership, you can win anywhere. Look at what Lowell has done, Merrimack, what Providence has done in a couple short years. Then you can look at the CCHA and what Ferris did last year. Is it easier at Minnesota, Michigan? Yeah. But you still need leadership.

Here is the link Einstein:

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...montgomery.php

I'm sure Maine had not contacted anyone at that point. Abbott surely felt that this was a premiere job that opened up and that he would be able to sit back and hire whoever he wanted. It was a mistake, no doubt...but even if he had contacted Monty he would still likely be at Denver.
                        You are sure, huh? And you know Abbot SURELY felt this and that.

If you weren't female I would be more blunt. But...

... actually, go back to something you ARE good at, being a UNH fan.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                          CHN: The Maine AD (Steve Abbott) said there was some contact early on.

Montgomery: I reached out to him. It was never them contacting me. I want to make that clear.

CHN: You can see how some people are perplexed by that, considering your status as an accomplished alum at Maine.

Montgomery: I'm very quizzical and perplexed like you are. As an alum of a proud program, I will help in any way I can.

CHN: Are there problems there that would prevent the program from getting back to where it once was?

Montgomery: I personally believe that with leadership, the proper leadership, you can win anywhere. Look at what Lowell has done, Merrimack, what Providence has done in a couple short years. Then you can look at the CCHA and what Ferris did last year. Is it easier at Minnesota, Michigan? Yeah. But you still need leadership.

Here is the link Einstein:

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...montgomery.php

You are sure, huh? And you know Abbot SURELY felt this and that.

If you weren't female I would be more blunt. But...

... actually, go back to something you ARE good at, being a UNH fan.
                          I believe he is being truthful. I believe he let him know he was interested. I do not believe he was denied an interview. I believe they did not get back to him quick enough or make him an offer right away, like he would of liked. If he wanted the Maine job he'd have it. He wanted Denver.

That's a tough pill to swallow, but it's the truth...

Comment

I believe he is being truthful. I believe he let him know he was interested. I do not believe he was denied an interview. I believe they did not get back to him quick enough or make him an offer right away, like he would of liked. If he wanted the Maine job he'd have it. He wanted Denver.

That's a tough pill to swallow, but it's the truth...
                            I have to agree. If the Denver job hadn't opened up Jimmy would have been a finalist at Maine and possibly the favorite. Abbott and Jimmy talked about the program, but not the job. I think Abbott thought he could take his time and get anyone he wanted, especially Jimmy (who really seemed interested). Then the Denver job became available, and other than the fact that Jimmy has ties to Maine it is a better coaching gig. And they moved faster and pulled the trigger while Maine hadn't even started their search. Better facilities, more money, and probably an easier road to success. What would you do?

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                              I have to agree. If the Denver job hadn't opened up Jimmy would have been a finalist at Maine and possibly the favorite. Abbott and Jimmy talked about the program, but not the job. I think Abbott thought he could take his time and get anyone he wanted, especially Jimmy (who really seemed interested). Then the Denver job became available, and other than the fact that Jimmy has ties to Maine it is a better coaching gig. And they moved faster and pulled the trigger while Maine hadn't even started their search. Better facilities, more money, and probably an easier road to success. What would you do?
                              I want to know why Maine's athletic department has regressed so much in the past decade???? Not only in terms of winning programs, but also in the way that they operate.......everything moves at a snail's pace and they don't seem concerned with their public image or what anyone thinks (other than a few big donors). They are behaving very strangely for a public institution in a small rural state.

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
                                I want to know why Maine's athletic department has regressed so much in the past decade???? Not only in terms of winning programs, but also in the way that they operate.......everything moves at a snail's pace and they don't seem concerned with their public image or what anyone thinks (other than a few big donors). They are behaving very strangely for a public institution in a small rural state.
                                They will evaluate your claim for a few months, then form a committee to investigate your claims. After the committee recommends a few answers, the athletic department will form focus group to determine a proper response, which will be issued in just a few short years.

Comment

Working...
                                X