This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
    I'm kind of with runsub here, though I'm not sure who's really to blame. It could be as simple as Larry getting along well with Jimmy, and being able to get him to comment by phone or email. Maybe talking to Jimmy is an easy article.

To the point of *this* article -- it does seem strange that Standbrook wasn't the very first person Maine contacted regarding the search.

Still, I do think it's getting to be time for Jimmy to stop making public comments regarding Maine hockey -- and for Larry to stop asking. The miscommunication surrounding Maine's search isn't all on Abbott. Jimmy's comments about never being contacted may have been literally true, in the context of the specific question he was asked, but they were misleading nevertheless. If he were really interested in the job, he could have been more proactive when he DID speak to Abbott. He could have told DU that he needed a couple days to sleep on the offer, and quietly gotten Maine on the phone.

Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge Jimmy making what he thought was a good career move re: Denver. I'll root for him there. But don't need to hear about how he bleeds Maine blue. He can't have it both ways.
    Does Grant have much for ties with the current Maine administration? I think that could be the biggest reason they haven't been in touch.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Re: Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

To the point of *this* article -- it does seem strange that Standbrook wasn't the very first person Maine contacted regarding the search.
      Listen, I know I wasn't paying as close attention as I did in the old days when Grant separated from UMaine ... but there was a separation, right? And Grant has been working with other teams/programs since, correct? And as Drew just mentioned, he may not have current ties with UMaine and/or its hiring committee? We don't know that UMaine didn't consider asking Grant about being on the committee (or not), do we? But please tell me ... exactly what would have been in it for Grant?

Still, I do think it's getting to be time for Jimmy to stop making public comments regarding Maine hockey -- and for Larry to stop asking. The miscommunication surrounding Maine's search isn't all on Abbott. Jimmy's comments about never being contacted may have been literally true, in the context of the specific question he was asked, but they were misleading nevertheless. If he were really interested in the job, he could have been more proactive when he DID speak to Abbott. He could have told DU that he needed a couple days to sleep on the offer, and quietly gotten Maine on the phone.
      More proactive ... how? Begging for the UMaine job, and in doing so, bypassing a pretty nice opportunity for what appears to be a lot more money and better resources in Denver?

I understand both of these guys had some special times up in Orono, but there seems to be an overriding assumption here that there is an attachment, if not on obligation owed to UMaine by these guys ... and I'm happy to be shown the error(s) in my thinking here, but I'm really struggling to try to see why that's the case.

P.S. - BTW, who is this Spock guy? Is he on the committee, or is he a candidate??
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
        Does Grant have much for ties with the current Maine administration? I think that could be the biggest reason they haven't been in touch.
        The Maine Administration not knowing who Grant Standbrook is and what he stood for during Maine Hockeys better times...give me a break...if they feel that they needed ties to Standbrook then we are really in trouble with this outfit at the "U".

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
          then we are really in trouble with this outfit at the "U".
          Welcome to the party, pal!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
            Listen, I know I wasn't paying as close attention as I did in the old days when Grant separated from UMaine ... but there was a separation, right? And Grant has been working with other teams/programs since, correct? And as Drew just mentioned, he may not have current ties with UMaine and/or its hiring committee? We don't know that UMaine didn't consider asking Grant about being on the committee (or not), do we? But please tell me ... exactly what would have been in it for Grant?
            Compensation? Influence? What difference does it make?

As for ties . . . as far as I know, Maine hockey doesn't have direct ties to Peter Metcalf, either, and he's (1) been separated from Maine hockey for longer than Grant has, and (2) had substantially less history with Maine hockey than Grant to begin with.

I gotta be honest with you - I'm having a really hard time understanding why it might be confusing that Maine should have invited Standbrook. Whether or not he accepts is a separate issue.

More proactive ... how? Begging for the UMaine job, and in doing so, bypassing a pretty nice opportunity for what appears to be a lot more money and better resources in Denver?

I understand both of these guys had some special times up in Orono, but there seems to be an overriding assumption here that there is an attachment, if not on obligation owed to UMaine by these guys ... and I'm happy to be shown the error(s) in my thinking here, but I'm really struggling to try to see why that's the case.
            I think you're out of the loop and missing the context*. My post was a subtle suggestion to the big Montgomery supporters among us (read: not you) that maybe all the Montgomery-to-Orono talk was wishful thinking to begin with.

*There was an article earlier this spring that suggested Montgomery was super interested in the future of Maine hockey, interested in the job specifically, and that he was shocked (and hurt?) that nobody ever spoke to him about it. As a result of that article, the nutcases nearly lynched Steve Abbott. Further reporting suggested that Montgomery's comments may have been a wee bit lawyer-istic. What do you know -- he and Abbott did speak the same week that Whitehead was fired. What did they talk about? Neither Abbott nor Montgomery will say, but I'm guessing it wasn't about American Idol or the weather.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not endorsing how Abbott has handled things. But I'm also increasingly convinced that Montgomery is actually a better politician than Abbott is. He certainly seems to have the speaking out of both sides of his mouth thing down. Unless the BDN has been taking him wildly out of context. But if that were the case, why would Montgomery still be talking to the BDN?
            Last edited by amherstblackbear; 04-20-2013, 02:10 PM.
            1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Compensation? Influence? What difference does it make?
              Serious question - at this point in his career, does Grant want/need either (especially the "influence"? part)?

As for ties . . . as far as I know, Maine hockey doesn't have direct ties to Peter Metcalf, either, and he's (1) been separated from Maine hockey for longer than Grant has, and (2) had substantially less history with Maine hockey than Grant to begin with.

I gotta be honest with you - I'm having a really hard time understanding why it might be confusing that Maine should have invited Standbrook. Whether or not he accepts is a separate issue.
              Do we know for a fact that UMaine didn't consider inviting him or did invite him, but he signaled/told them outright "thanks but no thanks"?

I think you're out of the loop and missing the context. My post was a subtle suggestion to the big Montgomery supporters among us (read: not you) that maybe all the Montgomery-to-Orono talk was wishful thinking to begin with.
              Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

I could be wrong re: not inviting Standbrook to be on the committee. I thought it came from one of Larry Mahoney's "Hey, I talked to Jimmy again" articles in the BDN. My reading was that Montgomery expressed surprised that Maine didn't invite Standbrook -- emphasis on invite.

Again, whether or not Grant accepts -- and whatever his motivations for doing so (or not) -- that's his business. It's the suggestion that he wasn't asked that's provocative.

To be extra, extra clear - I'm not criticizing Montgomery for taking the DU job. He told the Denver Post it was the job he wanted . . . and I believe him.

To the extent that I'm criticizing Montgomery, I'm criticizing him for continuing his "Hey, don't blame me -- I'm the good guy here" public relations routine in the Bangor Daily News.
                Last edited by amherstblackbear; 04-20-2013, 02:22 PM.
                1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                  ..........Do we know for a fact that UMaine didn't consider inviting him or did invite him, but he signaled/told them outright "thanks but no thanks"?
                  I don't think we know anything about what has taken place. All conjecture.

Comment

I'd bet they didn't invite Grant as I don't believe he is around as he lives in Fla. most of the year. I think once he walked away that was it. Tim surely didn't want him around and I'd bet he can take a hint
                    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

If they wanted Jimmy for the job, or if they even thought of him as a top 1 or 2 candidate they would've called him the minute they fired Timmay. IMO their plan all along was to hire Bob. I can only imagine his salary will be substantially lower than 190K. Maybe they like what he had to say all along...ie. before Tim got canned. At this point I hope Bob does get the job. I personally don't see anyone else out there (that we have a legitimate shot at) that makes me excited. The program will improve with Bob. That's all I care about. It's not gonna be an overnight turnaround. We can pizz and moan all we want about the process, search bs, whatever. We can't control ANY OF IT! Jeezus all everyone wanted was Tim gone. He's gone. Better days are ahead. So chill peeps. Re-read what Bob said in his post. It's everything I want in a coach. Yes, did I want Jimmy...of course I did. But there wasn't an automatic nation championship packed in his suitcase either. Corkum bleeds Maine as much as anybody else. And being as close to the whole fiasco as he's been, I'm sure he wants to turn it around a h e l l of alot more than some outsider ie Gwaz, or some BC asst. Whatever happens, it d am n well can't get worse.

Comment

I hope for Bob's sake that if they lowball him he rejects.

Not just in terms of his salary but also his budget for replacing himself (or Kerluke). He's not walking into a great situation. He should at least demand what needs to have a fighting chance.

Comment

I was also amused to read Montgomery tout Standbrook as the guy who was best able to promote Maine hockey. Considering Maine was able to get a commitment from exactly one Dubuque Fighting Saint in Montgomery's three years there, yeah, Montgomery himself may not be Maine's best promoter.
                          If you thought a kid might be a good Division One prospect and you knew him and cared about him and also knew his parents, and thought that in the right hands, he might have a chance to make it in pro hockey someday, would YOU have encouraged him to spend 4 years getting "developed" by Timmay?!

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                            I'd bet they didn't invite Grant as I don't believe he is around as he lives in Fla. most of the year. I think once he walked away that was it. Tim surely didn't want him around and I'd bet he can take a hint
                            He's been spending some time in Dubuque during hockey season and I've bumped into him a couple of times at the Alfond over the last few years and during that time I've only been to a total of about 4 or 5 games. Maybe a lucky coincidence concerning he and I choosing the same games to go to and having some of the same friends, but from what I've seen, he's still been around Maine hockey, at least as a spectator/fan.

Comment

I wonder if Montgomery felt or expected that the Maine job would be more less given to him. When, after talking with Abbott, he found out that there would be a selection committee and their decision would be final, he lost a lot of interest. That is to say , he didnt want to take the chance of being rejected, though possibly a small chance. So when the DU job opened up, he jumped on the opportunity hoping he wouldnt have to go through a more regimented and drawn out process at UMaine. I guess we may never know for sure. unless he recounts the whole story in the BDN. But, having said that, agree with ABB, enough already. It sucks when there are 2 guys who bled blue as much as Montgomery and Corkum did and you cant have both behind the bench.

I hope some day to watch Maine and Denver in a National Championship game in a city like, oh say Boston...
                              Last edited by all bear; 04-20-2013, 05:45 PM.
                              sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by all bear View Post
                                I wonder if Montgomery felt or expected that the Maine job would be more less given to him. When, after talking with Abbott, he found out that there would be a selection committee and their decision would be final, he lost a lot of interest. That is to say , he didnt want to take the chance of being rejected, though possibly a small chance. So when the DU job opened up, he jumped on the opportunity hoping he wouldnt have to go through a more regimented and drawn out process at UMaine. I guess we may never know for sure. unless he recounts the whole story in the BDN. But, having said that, agree with ABB, enough already. It sucks when there are 2 guys who bled blue as much as Montgomery and Corkum did and you cant have both behind the bench.

I hope some day to watch Maine and Denver in a National Championship game in a city like, oh say Boston...
                                OK...but this time: Maine 1 Denver 0 ...!

Comment

Working...
                                X