X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
    Since 2000: Gwoz, 8 NCAA tournaments, 2 Frozen Fours, 2 titles.

Hakstol's only been at North Dakota since 2005, and he has 8 NCAA tournament appearances and five Frozen Fours.

Jackson's been back since '06 and he has as many Frozen Fours as Gwoz.

For comparison's sake, since 2000, for Umile 11 NCAA appearances and 2 Frozen Fours. Jack Parker, 8 NCAA appearances, 1 FF, 1 title. Don Lucia, 9 NCAA appearances, 4 Frozen Fours, 2 titles.

So I don't know, is Gwoz really the second most successful coach the last 15 years behind York? Because Damon's skate was in the crease and then they closed in 05?
    It was Hamilton's skate and Damon had the layup. If Hammys skate had been outside the crease, little Derek would have missed the bunny Such was Timmay's luck. Maine would have gone on to lose anyway.
    sure why not

Comment

Gwoz would have a better NCAA record if it weren't for WCHA first-round upsets in 2003, 2006 and 2007. It is what it is though.

I haven't updated my decade list through this season yet, but as of last year, Denver's rank was #4 behind BC, North Dakota and Michigan. They were 2nd in win % and win % vs the top 10, 4th in wins, T-6 in NCAAs and Frozen Fours and 2nd with 2 NCAA titles. He also gets the recruits. Currently there are nine Denver alums in the NHL - seven were 1st or 2nd round draft picks. Seven current members of the Pioneer roster are drafted and two commits are on the CSS list.

It isn't often a top-notch coach becomes available on the open market. The last might have been York (he had already won a title). This is a once in a generation chance. If Maine doesn't take it now, a Wisconsin or Michigan State will next season.

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
        Since 2000: Gwoz, 8 NCAA tournaments, 2 Frozen Fours, 2 titles.

Hakstol's only been at North Dakota since 2005, and he has 8 NCAA tournament appearances and five Frozen Fours.

Jackson's been back since '06 and he has as many Frozen Fours as Gwoz.

For comparison's sake, since 2000, for Umile 11 NCAA appearances and 2 Frozen Fours. Jack Parker, 8 NCAA appearances, 1 FF, 1 title. Don Lucia, 9 NCAA appearances, 4 Frozen Fours, 2 titles.

So I don't know, is Gwoz really the second most successful coach the last 15 years behind York? Because Damon's skate was in the crease and then they closed in 05?
        When Minnesota missed the tournament three years in a row under Lucia, it was a huge deal because it was the first time that had happened since 1972-1973. It's freaking Minnesota. Best talent pool in the country. Gwoz took over a Denver program that had only made the NCAA tournament once in the previous 20 years. Is his accomplishment more impressive? Absolutely.
        1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Whether Gwoz is 2nd 3rd or 4th best, I'm not too concerned, he is the best available among proven coaches. Now maybe their is a young stud out there(Fishman sure likes that guy at a d3 school) but I'll love to have Gwoz for a few years.
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Come on guys, get real. Heres a guy Gwozdecky who gets the boot out of Denver because he keeps wanting more and more money and you think that attitude will sit well with the University of Tightwad I'm Freaking Broke Maine? Dont make me laugh. No matter how you slice and dice it it aint gonna be Gwoz. Too provincial, its gonna be Corkum.
            sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by all bear View Post
              Come on guys, get real. Heres a guy Gwozdecky who gets the boot out of Denver because he keeps wanting more and more money and you think that attitude will sit well with the University of Tightwad I'm Freaking Broke Maine? Dont make me laugh. No matter how you slice and dice it it aint gonna be Gwoz. Too provincial, its gonna be Corkum.
              He got the boot because he was going to get a retirement pension that was big bucks once he hit 20 years. I think you are correct that it won't be him though. I'm not convinced Corkum is the guy

Comment

• Originally posted by all bear View Post
                I'm not doing this to be real. I'd be shocked if Maine even made him an offer. I'm just trying make sure that, if the committee decides against him for the reasons you mentioned, that they realize how small-time they're being. As long as they level with us about hoping they get as lucky as possible with the hire, for as little investment as possible . . . my work is done.

I hope I'm wrong, but it sounds like the committee is trying for a duct tape solution because they don't want to hire a plumber.

Maine Athletics: Eh. That should work well enough. For a while. Probably.
                1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                  I'm not doing this to be real. I'd be shocked if Maine even made him an offer. I'm just trying make sure that, if the committee decides against him for the reasons you mentioned, that they realize how small-time they're being. As long as they level with us about hoping they get as lucky as possible with the hire, for as little investment as possible . . . my work is done.

I hope I'm wrong, but it sounds like the committee is trying for a duct tape solution because they don't want to hire a plumber.

Maine Athletics: Eh. That should work well enough. For a while. Probably.
                  If nothing else with social media nowadays, which we didnt have 20 years ago, at least we get to voice our wishes and concerns. They might not read it, or choose to ignore it, but at least we have a sounding board as long time fans of this program. So, continue to give em hell and dont let off the pedal. If nothing else, this so called search committee had better do their due diligence, and do it correctly, especially if they are going to take several months to come to a conclusion.
                  sure why not

Comment

The suspense is killing me!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Its a sad day for Maine hockey and really for all of UMaine, Arnie Davis passed away this morning. He was 93 years old, lived a full life from what I knew. For a lot of you he might have been known as the Potato man as he was quick to buy baked potatoes for opposing fans to welcome them to Alfond. I think either he or his son supplied the taters that were used in the Alfond concessions. I know he was involved in Potato farms in Maine and in North Dakota. He loved Maine hockey but he also loved most other sports at Umaine. He used to drive the 170 miles or so down from Easton to Football, Hockey and BBall games. He did it just a few years ago on a regular basis, he was a true fan of Maine athletics. He was also a proud alum.

When we first met He treated my then young son like gold always had some joke to tell him or some kind of potato pin to give him. My son really enjoyed getting one of Arnies cards, anyone who got one will know what I mean. It was always a pleasure to chat with Arnie before a game and I missed that the last few seasons, RIP Arnie.

Comment

That is wicked sad, Wally.
                        My fondest memories of the Alfond all involve Arnie, who hooked me and a few fellow UNH fans up with 1998 Frozen Four tickets and then every time I went up thereafter, he bought me a potato, and talked with me for a while. I have a bag of Maine Potato pins in a box somewhere, as well as a stack of his cards

RIP Arnie, you were one of the best. I know some of his family used to read this stuff, and if anyone still does, please accept my condolences

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                          Its a sad day for Maine hockey and really for all of UMaine, Arnie Davis passed away this morning. He was 93 years old, lived a full life from what I knew. For a lot of you he might have been known as the Potato man as he was quick to buy baked potatoes for opposing fans to welcome them to Alfond. I think either he or his son supplied the taters that were used in the Alfond concessions. I know he was involved in Potato farms in Maine and in North Dakota. He loved Maine hockey but he also loved most other sports at Umaine. He used to drive the 170 miles or so down from Easton to Football, Hockey and BBall games. He did it just a few years ago on a regular basis, he was a true fan of Maine athletics. He was also a proud alum.

When we first met He treated my then young son like gold always had some joke to tell him or some kind of potato pin to give him. My son really enjoyed getting one of Arnies cards, anyone who got one will know what I mean. It was always a pleasure to chat with Arnie before a game and I missed that the last few seasons, RIP Arnie.
                          Rest in peace Arnie. Your cards were always your's. Thankful for the potato/s.

Comment

I met Arnie about 12-13 years ago. I was in the second last row of the visitor section at Alfond and I heard a guy ask someone behind me if they knew a 'Murray', my original board name. He bought me a potato and we became friends. My wife and I drove up to PI to visit Arnie and Joyce and always enjoyed their company. He loved his God, his family and he bled blue. Shortly after my wife passed I was invited to his granddaughter's wedding. The family had chairs with name cards taped to them. There was one with my name on it next to Joyce and Arnie. It was a grand day.
                            He was a true gentleman and will be missed.
                            Originally posted by mookie1995
                            bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                            Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                            Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by all bear View Post
                              IT may not be Gwoz, but I don't believe it will be Corkum either! I think we may be surprised and pleased and I think it may be someone that none of us are talking about. I have to believe that when they made the decision on Tim it was because they had a conversation with someone who said he wanted the job if it became available. We all know now that Abbott and Montgomery had conversation pre-dismissal. It was only after the dismissal that Jimmy made it known that he had a previous OUI and then expressed frustration that he was not called for an interview and said he had no official conversation. Let's use logic now. Maine let Jim go to Denver because they already knew who they wanted. Jimmy in his heart likely wanted the Maine job more than the Dnever job and was disappointed Maine was not as high on him as he was on Maine.

I have to believe, have to, that we would not go this long if it is just to Corkum. I think it will be someone with extensive head coaching experience and who has a history at Maine, and it is one of two guys. I have a hunch and we should know more by the end of this week. If it is Corkum it is either because there was a change of mind, or because we have really screwed up the process.

Comment

• Originally posted by BobF View Post
                                IT may not be Gwoz, but I don't believe it will be Corkum either! I think we may be surprised and pleased and I think it may be someone that none of us are talking about. I have to believe that when they made the decision on Tim it was because they had a conversation with someone who said he wanted the job if it became available. We all know now that Abbott and Montgomery had conversation pre-dismissal. It was only after the dismissal that Jimmy made it known that he had a previous OUI and then expressed frustration that he was not called for an interview and said he had no official conversation. Let's use logic now. Maine let Jim go to Denver because they already knew who they wanted. Jimmy in his heart likely wanted the Maine job more than the Dnever job and was disappointed Maine was not as high on him as he was on Maine.

I have to believe, have to, that we would not go this long if it is just to Corkum. I think it will be someone with extensive head coaching experience and who has a history at Maine, and it is one of two guys. I have a hunch and we should know more by the end of this week. If it is Corkum it is either because there was a change of mind, or because we have really screwed up the process.
                                Your smoking something if that's how you really think it went down with Montgomery. Do I think Maine felt they could get Montgomery should they fire whitehead? Yes...do I think that made firing whitehead easier? Yes...was it a serious curveball when Gwoz got fired? Yes...

Jimmy is a bright guy. He wants to succeed as a coach and win titles. He has a better chance to do that at Denver---that's why he's there. Has nothing to do with hurt feelings or emotion. Denver's infrastructure is far superior to Maine. I'm not saying its going to happen, but Maine has the potential to be the next Lake Superior...I think if they hire corkum that is sure to happen.

There is no secret guy that Maine has in mind and has had in mind the whole time. It will go to one of the guys being discussed---Gendron, Tortorella, corkum...osieki and Gwoz are both long shots for different reasons...

Comment

Working...
                                X