X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

Originally posted by rufus View Post
    Jimmy was the only one who would have brought that buzz, from the get-go, just from the name. Pellerin might be another, to a lesser extent. Anyone else, meh.
    If the fanbase wouldn't get excited over Gwozdecky . . . that doesn't say very much for the fanbase. Just sayin.
    1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post
      No.

He obviously doesn't have that power because he went to Ferguson to do the firing.

Because he had to get President Ferguson's OK and, as I said in the message you quoted, there was at least one prominent booster (believed to be Ted Alfond) that was supporting Tim. He had to make sure he had all his ducks in a row.

Because the university made the mistake of hiring the last coach without a search and wanted to at least give the appearance that they were on the ball.

I know exactly what I am saying. Why would Steve or anyone else in the athletic department give a crap about wasting anyone's time? Seriously? They are (reportedly) bringing in other coaches to give the appearance that they are on the ball. Hopefully if someone blows their socks off they would hire them, but I don't expect it.
      You do not have inside info. You are making a bunch of assumptions. How do you know Abbott needed the blessing of the pres? You do not know that...not at all...

They are looking for an upgrade on corkum. They are not wasting time, energy, and resources to "appear on the ball." That would be absolutely ********.

You make it sound like they need to go through this sham because they did not have a search committe when they hired whitehead? I got news for you, whitehead was a good hire! Norm Bazin is talked about like a god right now, well Timmy had the same level of success in the early going as bazin. He was a bounce away from a national title! I'd be very surprised if the next coach wins like Timmy did. Timmy was actually doing great until corkum and kerluke joined the staff.

Abbott is looking for an upgrade on corkum. He is interviewing people in hopes of finding better. If he wanted corkum, he'd just hire him. Corkum has proven that he is a poor recruiter and poor evaluator of talent.

Last year he coached the Ivan hilinka team as an assistant. Some of the top uncommitted prospects in the country were on that team---guess how many committed to Maine? Zero. So either corkum wrongly evaluated them or they didn't want to play for corks. He was at the festival last year evaluating all the 95s in the US...the top 200 95 born players in the US....guess how many he has landed for Maine? Zero...well, one...but that is cloonan who is a Timmy lovall layup.

This is not an attempt to appear on the ball. They want a coach who has proven ability as a coach, recruiter, and evaluator of talent...these are essential qualities needed for a head coach...corks should go coach pro where player evaluations and recruiting are not part of the process.

Comment

Originally posted by dover4345 View Post
        You make it sound like they need to go through this sham because they did not have a search committe when they hired whitehead? I got news for you, whitehead was a good hire! Norm Bazin is talked about like a god right now, well Timmy had the same level of success in the early going as bazin. He was a bounce away from a national title! I'd be very surprised if the next coach wins like Timmy did. Timmy was actually doing great until corkum and kerluke joined the staff.

Abbott is looking for an upgrade on corkum. He is interviewing people in hopes of finding better. If he wanted corkum, he'd just hire him. Corkum has proven that he is a poor recruiter and poor evaluator of talent.
        Whitehead did well at first. That is a fact that is undisputed. Opinion varies on why he had success, but he had Shawn Walsh's players for the first few years and then had Grant Standbrook, one of the best assistant coaches of all-time, for the first several years. His downfall coincided with Coach Standbrook leaving, not Kerluke and Corkum showing up.

It is spelled Lovell, not Lovall.

I think Corkum would be a better hire than Tortorella. I'm not sure who I'd take if I had the option of Gendron vs. Corkum.

Gwozdecky, Leaman, Osiecki are the only three I'd take in a heartbeat over Corkum and it appears at least two of them are not coming to Orono.
        https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
        Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

How do you know Abbott needed the blessing of the pres? You do not know that...not at all...
          fwiw, where the hell do you think the money to buy tw out came from... if nothing else, the one thing that HAS been well documented, has been that Ferguson gave the final blessing by opening the checkbook to accomplish the buyout...

abbott may very well have wanted to fire him, but without the $195k+/- or so, he couldn't actually make the move...

"Abbott said the decision to fire Whitehead was not easy, and ultimately was made by university President Paul Ferguson, in consultation with Abbott."
          http://www.pressherald.com/news/UMai...l?pagenum=full

Comment

• Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
            Whitehead did well at first. That is a fact that is undisputed. Opinion varies on why he had success, but he had Shawn Walsh's players for the first few years and then had Grant Standbrook, one of the best assistant coaches of all-time, for the first several years. His downfall coincided with Coach Standbrook leaving, not Kerluke and Corkum showing up.

It is spelled Lovell, not Lovall.

I think Corkum would be a better hire than Tortorella. I'm not sure who I'd take if I had the option of Gendron vs. Corkum.

Gwozdecky, Leaman, Osiecki are the only three I'd take in a heartbeat over Corkum and it appears at least two of them are not coming to Orono.

No doubt stanbrook was good at bringing in players...but Timmy was the one coaching them up. He proved that if he had a capable assistant he could have success.

By saying the downfall came when stanbrook left, you are acknowledging that kerluke/corkum could not fill his shoes. Personally I think they should have kept Timmy and he should have gased the assistants. When those guys came to Maine the players stopped coming. 05/06 was the first year Timmy had all of his guys, and none of Shawn's...they won 28 games that year. The next year they went to the frozen four. Those teams were built off of grant and Timmy's work together... Problem is kerluke came in and wasn't even close to grant....then corkum came in and offered zero help recruiting....and Timmy took the fall. If you think MAine currently has the same level of talent they did from 03-07 your nuts. The drop off has been significant. To me, that is the fault of the assistant coaches. Again, I don't understand how corkum spent so much time with some of the top uncommitted players in the entire country and could not get one of them to Maine. That says something, no?

And I am aware that the president was the been involved in firing whitehead from a funding perspective, but I don't think he had anything to do with the decision. I think Abbott gased him and told the president about the decision.

If Abbott wanted to hire corkum he could do it. No one would stop him. This is like a top recruiti visiting your school, and the telling you that he doesn't want to rush his decsion. The recruit then proceeds to look for better opportunities elsewhere. Maine is actively looking for a better coach than corkum. They are not "reportedly" interviewing other candidates, they ARE interviewing others. Abbott has gone on record stating that he plans to interview guys. Why do that if corkum was the guy? Look at Ohio state, they liked their assistant and hired him right away. If Abbott liked corks he would just save the time and energy and hire him.

I am sure corkum is good guy. I am sure he knows the game. But the bottom line is he doesn't understand how to evaluate players and land the top recruits. Yes, a good assistant could bring him top guys---but he is still going to have to seal the deal. When stanbrook brought whitehead players he was able to do this. Corkum does not have the ability to sell and he has not proven that he has the ability to coach either. Nothing positive has happened to Maine hockey since he has joined the staff...that is why I am a harsh critic of his...where has the success been? Why not bring in a guy who has demonstrated success as coach? Gendron, osieki, and Tortorella have done this...heck, even Sean Tremblay has done it....

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
              I'm hoping for Gwozdecky but I'm not holding my breath.
              The cost of having a guy like Gwoz is well worth the investment to get the Black Bears back on track. He's the best choice for the job and if they don't take him, they're too salary conscious.

Comment

Below are the awards given out at last night's banquet:

Most Honored Opponent Award: Scott Wilson (UML)

Coca Cola 3-Star Award (who also won for Hockey East): Martin Ouellette

Stein Award: Mike Cornell

Unsung Hero Award: Mark Nemec

Richard Britt Perseverance Award: Connor Leen & Tyler Walsh

Howard Neville Rookie of the Year: Devin Shore

Jack Semler Most Improved Player: Martin Ouellette

Shawn Walsh Defensive Player: Mark Nemec

Harold Alfond Most Valuable Player: Martin Ouellette

Comment

No doubt stanbrook was good at bringing in players...but Timmy was the one coaching them up. He proved that if he had a capable assistant he could have success. ...
                  Yeah he was successful at running Grant and Guy out of town also. How do know Grant wasn't the one coaching them? I'll guarantee he was coaching the D and the Goalies
                  I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post

Because the university made the mistake of hiring the last coach without a search and wanted to at least give the appearance that they were on the ball..
                    All the posts you made saying how great Tim was, all the stats trying to prove him better than Jerry and Jackie, all the times you posted about all the frozen fours, now its a mistake. Kind of odd
                    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                      Yeah he was successful at running Grant and Guy out of town also. How do know Grant wasn't the one coaching them? I'll guarantee he was coaching the D and the Goalies
                      You are quite right in that TW showed Standbrook & Perron the door and not in a very nice way...it's the type of moves that was his down fall...he hated and I mean hated the notion that of anyone that had back gorunds with Shawn Walsh to speak of,he was more or less concerned about himself in that this was HIS Team and in no way was it going to be run or compared to the SW ERA...and he did that...he nose dived this Program to where it's in bad shape and needs a boost in rebuilding/retooling and bringing in recruits to start back the recovery,that in a few years Maine Hockey will be in "ALOT BETTER" shape then when TW was shown the door with a years PAY. I have no ill will towards TW in only he was OVER MATCHED for this Program...he didn't want to be that it's Maine Hockey,he was more the 9 to 5 and whatever happened..happened and we'll get better tomorrow.

Comment

Are you guys still "looking" for a head coach? Perhaps waiting to see who doesn't get the uaa job?

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                          All the posts you made saying how great Tim was, all the stats trying to prove him better than Jerry and Jackie, all the times you posted about all the frozen fours, now its a mistake. Kind of odd
                          Hiring Tim wasn't the mistake. Not having a search was.

Comment

It's more expensive to let 1200 seats go unfilled than it is to hire someone like Gwozdecky. Fact.

I know he's a rental. But even if Maine runs another search in 7-8 years, they'll be in a better position to do so if they're back to being a nationally competitive program.

Can Gwozdecky take Maine there? Who knows. But name a more successful coach over the past 15-20 years. Okay, Jerry York. But who else? Jeff Jackson? No way. Dean Blais? Nope. Red? Lucia? Parker? Hakstol? Blasi? No, no, no, no, and no. These guys don't go on the market very often. If the committee isn't interested in pursing the possibility of landing a coach of that caliber (and pursuing it hard, if there's any interest on Gwoz's part) it's malpractice.
                            1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              Are you guys still "looking" for a head coach? Perhaps waiting to see who doesn't get the uaa job?
                              Both teams don't have the same coaches interested.

Gwodzdecky and Osecki are the best available for both teams.

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                                Can Gwozdecky take Maine there? Who knows. But name a more successful coach over the past 15-20 years. Okay, Jerry York. But who else? Jeff Jackson? No way. Dean Blais? Nope. Red? Lucia? Parker? Hakstol? Blasi? No, no, no, no, and no. These guys don't go on the market very often. If the committee isn't interested in pursing the possibility of landing a coach of that caliber (and pursuing it hard, if there's any interest on Gwoz's part) it's malpractice.
                                Since 2000: Gwoz, 8 NCAA tournaments, 2 Frozen Fours, 2 titles.

Hakstol's only been at North Dakota since 2005, and he has 8 NCAA tournament appearances and five Frozen Fours.

Jackson's been back since '06 and he has as many Frozen Fours as Gwoz.

For comparison's sake, since 2000, for Umile 11 NCAA appearances and 2 Frozen Fours. Jack Parker, 8 NCAA appearances, 1 FF, 1 title. Don Lucia, 9 NCAA appearances, 4 Frozen Fours, 2 titles.

So I don't know, is Gwoz really the second most successful coach the last 15 years behind York? Because Damon's skate was in the crease and then they closed in 05?

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                                43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                                104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                                3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Working...
                                X