X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

Originally posted by Hockeyman99 View Post
    Hockey banquet is on Friday. Will we have an announcement prior? It would be a nice stage for the new coach.
    Nope, but I bet he'll be there anyway

Comment

From an email I just received:

Tickets for the 2013 Black Bear Summer Cruise are on sale now! It's your chance to meet and talk with your favorite Black Bear student-athletes and coaches while cruising beautiful Casco Bay! The Third Annual Black Bear Cruise sets sail on Friday, June 7th at 6pm, departing from Portland. Tickets are only $25 per person, and the cruise includes hearty hor d'oeuvers, soft drinks, cash bar, free raffle prize ticket, and great silent auction items! If you have any questions or would like to make a reservation over the phone, call the Athletic Development Office at 207-581-1130.
      Wonder if we'll have a hockey coach on board...

In a related note, I used the address listed on goblackbears.com to ask a question about season tickets and the email bounced for a bad address. Another sparkling example of the bang up job our athletic department is doing!

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        Nope, but I bet he'll be there anyway
        Why are you so convinced Corkum is going to be hired? I'm not and I've talked with a few people with knowledge of process who feel very strongly that it is not Corkum's job. I do think he'd do a better job than expected if hired.
        https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
        Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
          Why are you so convinced Corkum is going to be hired? I'm not and I've talked with a few people with knowledge of process who feel very strongly that it is not Corkum's job. I do think he'd do a better job than expected if hired.
          If it's not Corkum it better be someone with strong ties to the program from the past, and they better be ready to produce results immediately.

Coach Whitehead should have been let go a long time ago, and if Corkum's chances are hurt by the fact that he was a member of the Whitehead era regime then it certainly would be a travesty. The UMaine Athletic deparment has failed miserably ever since it signed on to that Learfield communications and didn't give WZON a chance for a counter proposal and things have never recovered.

Corkum deserves a chance, but I guess we have to trust a process that seems to have been flawed from the beginning...

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
            The next coach is expected to have ties to the Maine program. He is also expected to have experience coaching, preferably at the D-I level: Corkum fits the bill on both.

We also have the dysfunctional unit that is the UMaine athletic department. They kept TW around and allowed him to become a lame duck at the end of the season. Based on what I heard, Abbott was ready to fire him after the Vermont series November 30+December 1. Supposedly the only reason he didn't is because a prominent booster (believed to be Ted Alfond) was a huge TW supporter. Then, when the season concluded, they took three weeks (which ended up being 15 days) for an "evaluation" of the program. During that time the NCAA tournament continued and Denver shocked everyone by firing Gwozdecky. This did not move the Maine athletic department into action and the supposed top choice, alumnus Jim Montgomery, went to Denver. The reason for this is supposed to be incompetence, and I admit at first I thought it was, but upon further reflection and discussion with others, it became clear that it wasn't incompetence, but part of the plan. Despite the desires of a group of fans, Jim Montgomery was never on the radar to be the coach at Maine.

Steve Abbott is a politician, and a fairly successful one. You don't become COS for a US Senator by being incompetent or stupid. It sure looks like events have transpired in such a way for Corkum to be named the permanent head coach. In addition to what has transpired in public, I have also had discussions with people close to the program and other hockey alumni that have led me to believe Bob Corkum is the choice. It would be shocking if he is not. I have been lobbying for Gwozdecky because I believe he would lead Maine in a new direction and when it is run well, the hockey program can turn more than enough proft to make his salary expectations justifiable. In the end, I expect the university to continue its recent, shortsighted practice of chasing money and being cheap.

As I have said, Bob may well be a very good choice. After everything that has transpired - letting TW coach the second half, the "evaluation" which is universally considered a farce, naming Corkum the interim coach, this committee - it is going to be very hard to convince a lot of us that isn't what the university had in mind the whole time. In which case, why not just come out and tell us? Why insult us? We may not all be smart enough to have a Harvard degree, but we didn't just fall off the turnip truck either.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeyman99 View Post
              Not sure if Jim has the personality to jump start the program. He's a tactician like Tim. Great x and o guy.
              I knew both Torterella brothers casually back in the day (as in playing pool with them a several times at Corbett Hall when we were all freshmen.)

It's been a looong time to be sure, but Jimmy was nothing like John back then... John was a powder-keg at every waking moment, and Jimmy was always far less emotional, except when he was yelling at his D-men during games.

I haven't seen John in 30 years, but I talked to Jimmy at Hamilton when Colby was in town for a game a few years ago, and he seemed to be the same gracious and reasonable guy as he always was... Question is: does Maine want "gracious and reasonable"?

If you fine fellows want another Shawn Walsh, you need look no farther than Utica NY, and Gary Heenan. He is on the UAA short-list, and I'm glad that he hasn't landed there so far, because it doesn't appear that that coaching vehicle is going anywhere soon.

At Maine, it might be a very different story. Heenan is twice as ruthless as Walsh ever was, and just as Irish, and I guarantee that he won't be caught bending the rules. He'll win there or die trying, and he can recruit, especially in his native Ontario.

I doubt that he's on the radar at Maine, but he ought to be. He'd been hamstrung by his own school in terms of recruiting until the past two years, then he promptly went to the D-3 FF when the handcuffs were off. I have not doubt whatsoever that he's gonna make a big splash somewhere in D-1 at some point. He out-Shawns Shawn himself.

I'm OK with Corkum, but Heenan is the most driven/astute hockey coach I've ever met. I hope that by some wild circumstance he garners a look at Orono.
              Last edited by Fishman'81; 05-10-2013, 02:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                The next coach is expected to have ties to the Maine program. He is also expected to have experience coaching, preferably at the D-I level: Corkum fits the bill on both.

We also have the dysfunctional unit that is the UMaine athletic department. They kept TW around and allowed him to become a lame duck at the end of the season. Based on what I heard, Abbott was ready to fire him after the Vermont series November 30+December 1. Supposedly the only reason he didn't is because a prominent booster (believed to be Ted Alfond) was a huge TW supporter. Then, when the season concluded, they took three weeks (which ended up being 15 days) for an "evaluation" of the program. During that time the NCAA tournament continued and Denver shocked everyone by firing Gwozdecky. This did not move the Maine athletic department into action and the supposed top choice, alumnus Jim Montgomery, went to Denver. The reason for this is supposed to be incompetence, and I admit at first I thought it was, but upon further reflection and discussion with others, it became clear that it wasn't incompetence, but part of the plan. Despite the desires of a group of fans, Jim Montgomery was never on the radar to be the coach at Maine.

Steve Abbott is a politician, and a fairly successful one. You don't become COS for a US Senator by being incompetent or stupid. It sure looks like events have transpired in such a way for Corkum to be named the permanent head coach. In addition to what has transpired in public, I have also had discussions with people close to the program and other hockey alumni that have led me to believe Bob Corkum is the choice. It would be shocking if he is not. I have been lobbying for Gwozdecky because I believe he would lead Maine in a new direction and when it is run well, the hockey program can turn more than enough proft to make his salary expectations justifiable. In the end, I expect the university to continue its recent, shortsighted practice of chasing money and being cheap.

As I have said, Bob may well be a very good choice. After everything that has transpired - letting TW coach the second half, the "evaluation" which is universally considered a farce, naming Corkum the interim coach, this committee - it is going to be very hard to convince a lot of us that isn't what the university had in mind the whole time. In which case, why not just come out and tell us? Why insult us? We may not all be smart enough to have a Harvard degree, but we didn't just fall off the turnip truck either.
                With what you say then TONIGHT's Banquet should be the Gossip/Rumor Mill icing on the Cake on who should and who shouldn't be the Maine Coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                  With what you say then TONIGHT's Banquet should be the Gossip/Rumor Mill icing on the Cake on who should and who shouldn't be the Maine Coach.
                  Is the OZ going to be introduced as the next Black Bear coach?

Comment

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post

Do you realize how stupid and illogical you sound? Do you also believe that 9/11 was staged by the US government?

Abbott is the AD and has the power to fire and hire whomever he wants. If he wanted to fire Tim whitehead in favor on bob corkum why wouldn't he have just done that?

Why waste the time of the "committee" when in fact you supposedly already have your guy?

Why make Tortorella, Gendron, and others drive up to Orono and interview if you supposedly already the answer on campus?

The logical thinking is that the job will likely not go to corkum. If he was what they were looking for they would have already hired him, they wouldn't be parading other coaches in... No one that is normal would just waste everyone's time like you are suggesting---it makes zero sense. You really need to take a step back and think about what you are saying....

Comment

Originally posted by dover4345 View Post
                      Do you realize how stupid and illogical you sound? Do you also believe that 9/11 was staged by the US government?
                      No.

Abbott is the AD and has the power to fire and hire whomever he wants.
                      He obviously doesn't have that power because he went to Ferguson to do the firing.

If he wanted to fire Tim whitehead in favor on bob corkum why wouldn't he have just done that?
                      Because he had to get President Ferguson's OK and, as I said in the message you quoted, there was at least one prominent booster (believed to be Ted Alfond) that was supporting Tim. He had to make sure he had all his ducks in a row.

Why waste the time of the "committee" when in fact you supposedly already have your guy? Why make Tortorella, Gendron, and others drive up to Orono and interview if you supposedly already the answer on campus?
                      Because the university made the mistake of hiring the last coach without a search and wanted to at least give the appearance that they were on the ball.

The logical thinking is that the job will likely not go to corkum. If he was what they were looking for they would have already hired him, they wouldn't be parading other coaches in... No one that is normal would just waste everyone's time like you are suggesting---it makes zero sense. You really need to take a step back and think about what you are saying....
                      I know exactly what I am saying. Why would Steve or anyone else in the athletic department give a crap about wasting anyone's time? Seriously? They are (reportedly) bringing in other coaches to give the appearance that they are on the ball. Hopefully if someone blows their socks off they would hire them, but I don't expect it.

Comment

Well in 2 weeks we will all know for sure...imo I think that Corkum is 50/50 at being named the Head Coach,but I also feel that Gwozdecky is not out of the Picture yet. Oh well...interesting times in Orono,Maine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                          Well in 2 weeks we will all know for sure...imo I think that Corkum is 50/50 at being named the Head Coach,but I also feel that Gwozdecky is not out of the Picture yet. Oh well...interesting times in Orono,Maine.
                          What about OZ or even Gwozdecky?

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                            I'm hoping for Gwozdecky but I'm not holding my breath.

Comment

Originally posted by Pink Pony View Post
                              What about OZ or even Gwozdecky?
                              Or even YOU?

Comment

One of the criteria for a new coach was someone who can create a spark among the fanbase, re-energize and bring some excitement back to the program.

Now I'm sorry, but the names bandied about so far don't seem in the least to meet that criteria. As much as I respect Red as a coach, and his obvious qualities, as much as I personally like Jim Tortorella and his record as a coach, it just doesn't seem like naming either one of them is gonna do much among the fanbase other than "at least he's not TIMMAY". To generate any kind of buzz among the faithful, they'd have to win, and win right away. Don't even get me started on Osiecki(big yawn among the Maine faithful.

Corkum may be in the same boat, as his naming won't generate instant buzz, but at least we know him, and know what he will do as a coach. Whether it's successful, who knows, but based on his media message, we like the approach he's gonna bring.

Jimmy was the only one who would have brought that buzz, from the get-go, just from the name. Pellerin might be another, to a lesser extent. Anyone else, meh. Wins and losses will be the determining factor. I think people are willing to give Corkum the benefit of the doubt in that department while he tries to right the ship. Anyone else, especially outside of the Black bear family, maybe not so much.
                                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Working...
                                X