X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
    over in the uconn thread their is talk that the job has been offered to cavanaugh
    Looks like he's going to be a Huskie...surprised that Gwozdecky didn't get the job at UConn...well now it's down to UAA & Maine....

Comment

• Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
      Looks like he's going to be a Huskie...surprised that Gwozdecky didn't get the job at UConn...well now it's down to UAA & Maine....
      There wasn't enough commitment from admin at UConn for Gwozdecky to feel comfortable taking the job. Plain and simple.
      https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
      Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
        There wasn't enough commitment from admin at UConn for Gwozdecky to feel comfortable taking the job. Plain and simple.
        That should make the folks at Hockey East comfortable.

Someone with knowledge of the committee's work says fired Ohio State coach Mark Osiecki is the front-runner for the Maine job. This is, to my knowledge, the first "leak" about anything the committee is doing. I don't buy it for a minute, but it is what it is. I have been all over Twitter saying it should be Gwozdecky, but I still think it'll be Corkum. None of my usual sources has any idea who the new coach will be or when it will be announced.

Comment

This was just posted on the BDN website

Maine athletic director Steve Abbott said Monday that the hockey search committee had begun interviewing candidates and he hoped to have a list of finalists within two weeks.

Sources have indicated that two of the candidates who have been interviewed are Jim Tortorella and Dennis “Red” Gendron. Tortorella is a former Maine goalie and current University of New Hampshire assistant coach and Gendron is a former Maine assistant coach and current Yale assistant.

Another name that was mentioned was Scott Pellerin, Maine’s first Hobey Baker Award winner (1992) and the current head coach of the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, the American Hockey League affiliate of the New York Islanders.

Abbott said he couldn’t discuss any developments.

Comment

I like the Osiecki leak, if for no other reason than its utter randomness - nobody but nobody was talking him up. Which almost makes it believable. I mean . . . why not?

It still seems really unlikely, but Abbott's obviously decided he's had enough of publicity, so who knows.
            1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

A BC hockey source says Cavanaugh has taken the UConn job per Greg Joyce of The Heights

Comment

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post

Someone with knowledge of the committee's work says fired Ohio State coach Mark Osiecki is the front-runner for the Maine job. This is, to my knowledge, the first "leak" about anything the committee is doing. I don't buy it for a minute, but it is what it is. I have been all over Twitter saying it should be Gwozdecky, but I still think it'll be Corkum. None of my usual sources has any idea who the new coach will be or when it will be announced.
                No money for Gwozdecky. Plain and simple. It might be Corkum, but I talked to someone who has spoken with a member of search committee who said they are doing their due diligence and it is no forgone conclusion like many on Internet think. I've heard Osiecki, Gwozdecky, Tortorella, Corkum and Gendron. I think Pellerin is a long shot as he has a job in AHL from his standpoint and from Maine's standpoint no college coaching experience.

Comment

• Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
                  I think Pellerin is a long shot as he has a job in AHL from his standpoint and from Maine's standpoint no college coaching experience.
                  There's quite the UMaine mafia in the Isles organization, with Snow, Capuano, and Pellerin.

Would anyone travel to see a college tournament in NYC? Maybe when the Isles make their move? I like Estero, but maybe something to open the season? UConn as cosponsor?

/daydreaming
                  1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

• Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
                    No money for Gwozdecky. Plain and simple. It might be Corkum, but I talked to someone who has spoken with a member of search committee who said they are doing their due diligence and it is no forgone conclusion like many on Internet think. I've heard Osiecki, Gwozdecky, Tortorella, Corkum and Gendron. I think Pellerin is a long shot as he has a job in AHL from his standpoint and from Maine's standpoint no college coaching experience.
                    Haha...why do people insist on staying stupid comments like this, "not enough money for him to take the job." "Not enough commitment from the administration." Haha...Gwoz wanted the job. He is quoted in the paper AFTER his interview stating how he has put his life on hold hoping to land the uconn job and that he could t stop looking at his phone. Cav beat him out for it. Plain and simple. Cav is much younger. Gwoz only has 6-8 years left in him, clearly uconn wanted more. I know it's a tough pill to swallow that you do not have the inside track, but uconn wanted Cav and is youth and his 4 national titles.... End of story...had nothing to with money or administration...uconn has a hell of a lot more money than Denver and is they wanted Gwoz money wouldn't have held them up...

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                      There's quite the UMaine mafia in the Isles organization, with Snow, Capuano, and Pellerin.
                      Jimmy Howard and Gustav Nyquist are doing pretty darned well on the ice in Motown these days too.
                      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post

That would be awesome. Replace one Forever .500 coach with another one.
                        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
                          That would be awesome. Replace one Forever .500 coach with another one.
                          Difference is at Maine he'd get the admins on his side. At Ohio State he had to play playoff games in the practice rink because high school wrestling tourney conflicted. I'm not say Osiecki would be best choice but he'd do better at Maine than OSU.

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
                            Difference is at Maine he'd get the admins on his side. At Ohio State he had to play playoff games in the practice rink because high school wrestling tourney conflicted. I'm not say Osiecki would be best choice but he'd do better at Maine than OSU.
                            A home ice playoff game at this point would be an improvement.
                            Please join me in the fight to reduce the world's supply of Bacardi.

Comment

Hockey banquet is on Friday. Will we have an announcement prior? It would be a nice stage for the new coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeyman99 View Post
                                Hockey banquet is on Friday. Will we have an announcement prior? It would be a nice stage for the new coach.
                                No

Comment

Working...
                                X