X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
    Corkum really can make a case that he's never really had a chance to shape the program...USA Hockey is a solid endorsement. Corkum wouldn't be involved if he didn't have the respect of his peers outside of Maine. Maybe he really is the best option out there.
    If you had a chance to talk to any of the former assistants to Tim (or possibly former players...), and they were going to be HONEST with you, you would hear just that. They really didn't have much input, no matter how "right" they were. It was Tim's way or the highway. Win, lose or draw. I can't see that having changed...ever. That being said, the "committee" needs to $h1t or get off the pot...
    Been a long time, been a long time been a long, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely time

Thank you, Tim. You did what you could and could do no more.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
      He raves daily about how he loves UNH and it is "the only place I would leave Colby for"
      Not sure how a D 3 coach and ast who coached high school for several years has a far superior resume. He doesnt.

If he did, he would be coaching the Ivan Hinkla USA World team this summer

If you think players from USHL and BCHL are going to Maine to play for a D 3 guy with no pro background etc you are valuing Maine Hockey far to highly. There has to be a reason to go there vs the other Hoceky East teams, he is not it. Not one kid has a clue who he is. He would be a solid assistant and eventual associate head coach. Will set program back for years if he gets it

He is in charge of New England by default. Mass District is what matters, New England is one of the worst pools every year and is known for politics and sending kids from programs because of the programs connections, not ther best players.
      I'm sorry, I just don't see it with corkum. Maine was doing great with Timmy behind the bench before corkum arrived. Since corkum has been at Maine the program has been on a steady decline. How did corkum impact the program in a positive way that would make you think he's earned a shot to be head coach? He can't land top recruits, and he did not do anything spectacular in terms of player development. Sad to me how he threw whitehead under the bus too...corkum just has not proven anything in coaching yet. Maybe he will, but thus far he has not. And I wouldn't hire him until he proves he can positively impact a program. No recruit is going to go to Maine because corkum played in the nhl. Recruits don't remember corkum....he was a 3rd or 4th line guy...none of the top coaches in hockey east played in the nhl, so that argument isnoutnthe window as far as I'm concerned. If he could land top players he would have done it as an assistant. I'd take many over him, Tortorella included. They should be pursuing cavanaugh, Greg brown, mark Carlson, Derek lalonde, or Blaise macdonald---guys who have proven they can coach and build teams---something corkum has not proven.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
        He raves daily about how he loves UNH and it is "the only place I would leave Colby for"
        Not sure how a D 3 coach and ast who coached high school for several years has a far superior resume. He doesnt.

If he did, he would be coaching the Ivan Hinkla USA World team this summer

If you think players from USHL and BCHL are going to Maine to play for a D 3 guy with no pro background etc you are valuing Maine Hockey far to highly. There has to be a reason to go there vs the other Hoceky East teams, he is not it. Not one kid has a clue who he is. He would be a solid assistant and eventual associate head coach. Will set program back for years if he gets it

He is in charge of New England by default. Mass District is what matters, New England is one of the worst pools every year and is known for politics and sending kids from programs because of the programs connections, not ther best players.
        Also, Tortorella has coached many elite usa teams. You have to work the festivals to be a candidate work those jobs. D1 assistants rarely work them anymore because they'd rather be recruiting. They did not pick corkum over all those other guys like you areninsinuating...the pool was actually very thin that they had to choose from. I believe Matt herr coached the team last year---and he's a prep coach, does that mean he should be a finalist for the Maine job?

All I was stating is that if you put the resumes of Tortorella and corkum down in front of you, Tortorella has many more accomplishments. What does corkum show? 5 years of contributing to running a program into the ground? Couple years in the EJ? Being an NHL player does not make u a great coach...many have made that mistake in the past...look at donato at Harvard....guy can't win to save his life....his only hope is albie occonnell....and donato was twice the player that corkum was....

Comment

Cavanaugh could be the sleeper pick.

Comment

Nyquist almost had another game winner.
            IT'S ALL ABOUT THE NAVY AND BLUE! UMAINE BLACK BEARS

National Champions 93' 99'

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
              Cavanaugh could be the sleeper pick.
              Yup.

If it's not Corkum, Cavanaugh is my pick.
              Last edited by sandiegoblkbr; 05-07-2013, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dover4345 View Post
                I'm sorry, I just don't see it with corkum. Maine was doing great with Timmy behind the bench before corkum arrived. Since corkum has been at Maine the program has been on a steady decline. How did corkum impact the program in a positive way that would make you think he's earned a shot to be head coach? He can't land top recruits, and he did not do anything spectacular in terms of player development. Sad to me how he threw whitehead under the bus too...corkum just has not proven anything in coaching yet. Maybe he will, but thus far he has not. And I wouldn't hire him until he proves he can positively impact a program. No recruit is going to go to Maine because corkum played in the nhl. Recruits don't remember corkum....he was a 3rd or 4th line guy...none of the top coaches in hockey east played in the nhl, so that argument is out the window as far as I'm concerned. If he could land top players he would have done it as an assistant. I'd take many over him, Tortorella included.
                ... and to be honest, I'm sure many potential recruits would be more intrigued by Tortorella's last name (heck - a few might actually confuse him with his brother ) than by a career 3rd/4th line forward who played for a string of lousy NHL teams back when said recruits were still probably in their diapers.

Personally, I'm hoping Tortorella does stay at UNH, and I'm honestly surprised his name hasn't come up more often in the UMaine discussions. Gotta think he is on the committee's radar ... BTW, whatever happened to the committee? Lying low 'til Fourth of July for the real fireworks to begin???
                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                  ... and to be honest, I'm sure many potential recruits would be more intrigued by Tortorella's last name (heck - a few might actually confuse him with his brother ) than by a career 3rd/4th line forward who played for a string of lousy NHL teams back when said recruits were still probably in their diapers.

Personally, I'm hoping Tortorella does stay at UNH, and I'm honestly surprised his name hasn't come up more often in the UMaine discussions. Gotta think he is on the committee's radar ... BTW, whatever happened to the committee? Lying low 'til Fourth of July for the real fireworks to begin???
                  Nah, committee is loaded with old farts that tend to fall asleep from time to time.

Cavanaugh ?? You are chitting me. What has he proven other than he can recruit? Everytime Jerwy sticks a pencil in his eye and Cav has to coach, he just drops the ball..er puck.....witness Maine sweep at BC.

Corkums wheelhouse is in getting the most out of his players and I think he would be successful at that, or he'd kill someone . All he needs is a decent recruiter. Perron ?

Torts wife is entrenched in New Hampster....dont see him making any move there, especially since he would have to come to Maine as an assistant in charge of recruiting I would think under Corkum.
                  Last edited by all bear; 05-07-2013, 06:45 AM.
                  sure why not

Comment

Also, Tortorella has coached many elite usa teams. You have to work the festivals to be a candidate work those jobs. D1 assistants rarely work them anymore because they'd rather be recruiting. They did not pick corkum over all those other guys like you areninsinuating...the pool was actually very thin that they had to choose from. I believe Matt herr coached the team last year---and he's a prep coach, does that mean he should be a finalist for the Maine job?

All I was stating is that if you put the resumes of Tortorella and corkum down in front of you, Tortorella has many more accomplishments. What does corkum show? 5 years of contributing to running a program into the ground? Couple years in the EJ? Being an NHL player does not make u a great coach...many have made that mistake in the past...look at donato at Harvard....guy can't win to save his life....his only hope is albie occonnell....and donato was twice the player that corkum was....
                    Had nothing to do with Corkum showing up, had to do with SW's finger prints fading and Grant being gone.
                    He has the resume and it is eevry bit as good. There is a reason why USA Hockey is going with him. Dont get confused on some of the lower level events vs an Ivan Hinkla type, apples and oranges.

Tort LOVES UNH, stay there... Like he said...

Cav is 0/20 on HC jobs, no way he wopuld be the one for maine. Contrary to what you think he is not a good recruiter. To say "come play at BC because we are BC" is a huge difference than saying "come play at Maine because I am the head coach"
                    Not in same world, aint happening

Comment

Agreed on Cavanaugh. The only thing that gets him extra consideration, in my book, is that he was around from the beginning -- back when BC hockey was still extricating itself from the Cedorchuk mistake. Back then, it was BU that had all the momentum, and it did take vision to create the juggernaut that BC became.

But that's ancient history. The skeptics are right, I'm afraid. I'm sure BC doesn't have it completely easy - they have to fend off other elite programs as they pursue the most sought-after juniors and prep school kids. But that experience isn't going to get you very far if your job is convincing a goalie to stay in Maine rather than go to Providence, or convincing some kid from Manitoba to go to Orono over St. Cloud.

I think Maine would do better trying to peel an assistant away from someone like Hakstol than York (provided the guy had any experience recruiting east of the Mississippi).
                      1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                        Had nothing to do with Corkum showing up, had to do with SW's finger prints fading and Grant being gone.
                        He has the resume and it is eevry bit as good. There is a reason why USA Hockey is going with him. Dont get confused on some of the lower level events vs an Ivan Hinkla type, apples and oranges.

Tort LOVES UNH, stay there... Like he said...

Cav is 0/20 on HC jobs, no way he wopuld be the one for maine. Contrary to what you think he is not a good recruiter. To say "come play at BC because we are BC" is a huge difference than saying "come play at Maine because I am the head coach"
                        Not in same world, aint happening
                        Again, you have to work the festivals to be included in the Hlinka pool. Matt Herr was the coach last year---are you suggesting that because he coached that team he should be a head coach at the D1 level? Corkum did not get the U18 job over guys like Cav, Tortorella, etc... None of those guys work the festivals.

And there is simply no comparing Mike Cavanaugh and Bob Corkum. BC is BC because of the work that York and Cav have done together. The program was a mess when those two showed up. Maine and BU were getting the top players and Cav was the lead recruiter that turned that around. He has a track record that shows he can identify and attract top talent. How can you say he is not a good recruiter? 4 national titles. Clearly he has shown an ability better than the guys at Michigan, Minnesota, North Dakota, etc---other schools that get the creme of the crop players. That is something that Corkum has not done. I ask you this---what has Corkum accomplished as a coach? What do we KNOW about him? You can assume all you want, but the bottom line is he has done nothing. Stating, "he gets the most out of his players," has not been proven. Thats an assumption. We KNOW tortorella gets the most out of his players because of his past track record. We know cav can build a winner based off of what he has done at BC. We know that Red Gendron knows hockey and knows what it takes to win because he has two national titles and a cup ring as a COACH. If Maine goes with Corkum its a risk. His resume is not on par with those other guys. He has not proven he can win or recruit---if Im the AD I want someone who has proven those things.

And in response to your comment about Timmy winning from the 2003-2007 era being accredited to Stanbrook---he was a volunteer. When the players were there Timmy won. Corkum and Kerluke have shown that they can not sell top players. The talent dried up and Timmy started to lose. Do you honestly think Timmy wanted corkum in the office from April-October? No...he would have encouraged him to be all over the map looking for players. But Corkum has the pro mentality. He thinks X's and O's will win games. 90% of the time the team with the best players will win the game. And I got news for you---if Corkum is named the head coach Kerluke isnt going anywhere---and it will be more of the same up in Orono.

They need someone who knows how to rercruit and attract top players. Corkum has shown that he cant sell. I think a Blaise MacDonald type would be perfect. Blaise has energy and a PROVEN track record.

Comment

Again, you have to work the festivals to be included in the Hlinka pool. Matt Herr was the coach last year---are you suggesting that because he coached that team he should be a head coach at the D1 level? Corkum did not get the U18 job over guys like Cav, Tortorella, etc... None of those guys work the festivals.

And there is simply no comparing Mike Cavanaugh and Bob Corkum. BC is BC because of the work that York and Cav have done together. The program was a mess when those two showed up. Maine and BU were getting the top players and Cav was the lead recruiter that turned that around. He has a track record that shows he can identify and attract top talent. How can you say he is not a good recruiter? 4 national titles. Clearly he has shown an ability better than the guys at Michigan, Minnesota, North Dakota, etc---other schools that get the creme of the crop players. That is something that Corkum has not done. I ask you this---what has Corkum accomplished as a coach? What do we KNOW about him? You can assume all you want, but the bottom line is he has done nothing. Stating, "he gets the most out of his players," has not been proven. Thats an assumption. We KNOW tortorella gets the most out of his players because of his past track record. We know cav can build a winner based off of what he has done at BC. We know that Red Gendron knows hockey and knows what it takes to win because he has two national titles and a cup ring as a COACH. If Maine goes with Corkum its a risk. His resume is not on par with those other guys. He has not proven he can win or recruit---if Im the AD I want someone who has proven those things.

And in response to your comment about Timmy winning from the 2003-2007 era being accredited to Stanbrook---he was a volunteer. When the players were there Timmy won. Corkum and Kerluke have shown that they can not sell top players. The talent dried up and Timmy started to lose. Do you honestly think Timmy wanted corkum in the office from April-October? No...he would have encouraged him to be all over the map looking for players. But Corkum has the pro mentality. He thinks X's and O's will win games. 90% of the time the team with the best players will win the game. And I got news for you---if Corkum is named the head coach Kerluke isnt going anywhere---and it will be more of the same up in Orono.

They need someone who knows how to rercruit and attract top players. Corkum has shown that he cant sell. I think a Blaise MacDonald type would be perfect. Blaise has energy and a PROVEN track record.
                          York and Cav together? Could have been York and a seeing eye dog and results would have been the same.

I like Blaise, can recruit and proved can do it at a non BC type school. Just needs to be a little more positive with players.
                          The Jack Daniels incident migt not help

Comment

We already tried one reject from UML.....lol.
                            sure why not

Comment

At least Timmy got the NCAAs once in a while, McDonald's proven track record is blowing it and finishing on the bubble with good teams. No thanks. Heck I'd rather have Toot Cahoon if we're going X-UMass system coaches.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                              43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                              104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                              3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

over in the uconn thread their is talk that the job has been offered to cavanaugh

Comment

Working...
                                X