X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
    "Athletic Director Steve Abbott has indicated that the Athletics Department is committed to reimbursing the president’s investment through anticipated revenues generated by renewing fan interest and increased ticket sales"

http://bangordailynews.com/slideshow...m-whitehead-2/

around the 3 minute mark
    http://www.fandomsportsme.com/colleg...-tim-whitehead
    Nice little fantasy. Donor funds were used to payoff the final year. The information I have is that one donor put up the funds for the buyout.

I am in the minority apparently, I think Corkum would be a great hire and his enthusiasm and passion for Maine Hockey will bring the program back. The recruiting issue is a tough one, not one of us is really privy to anything that happens in regards to recruiting.

Comment

• Originally posted by True Blue Fan View Post
      Nice little fantasy. Donor funds were used to payoff the final year. The information I have is that one donor put up the funds for the buyout.

I am in the minority apparently, I think Corkum would be a great hire and his enthusiasm and passion for Maine Hockey will bring the program back. The recruiting issue is a tough one, not one of us is really privy to anything that happens in regards to recruiting.
      I'm with you on Corkum. I'm pretty convinced that a lot of people would be unhappy regardless of who was picked. Look at the facts with Corkum; went to Maine, played a lot of games in the NHL, hard worker, and seems to be a man of high integrity. I honestly think him sticking with the team for so long shows loyalty and commitment more than anything else. It couldn't have been a lot of fun and it shows how much he cares about the program. Despite all this the grass will always be greener for a lot of folks.
      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by True Blue Fan View Post

You are not in the minority at all. 3 or 4 people telling us 75 times a day how it is a mistake is not the majority, it is the vocal minority. The silent majority will be happy with the pick

Corkum was not the one out there beating the bushes in ushl and bchl, it was others. He needs to get aggresive assistants with connections in both leagues. He will make an occasional visit to a blue chip kid they really want, Beantowns, Chowder Cups etc. He will be back coaching and he will be the one who does the last meeting and offer when they visit. He runss the team, they do the grunt work

There are some good guys out there who would love to coach at maine who can get the kids in the door.
        Corkum has to be the CLOSER, the one the parents and kids trust and want to get them to the next level. he has that pitch down and with his USA Hockey connections and coaching of natl teams, he has the political ties as well to build. A ton of high end guys wanted the Ivan Hinkla team this summer. USA hockey picked him.

He wasnt the one claiming to bleed blue and in the next sentence telling the papers, "this is the job I wanted" and then 20 minutes later telling maine hiow to do their search. He has done nothing but focus on MAINE HOCKEY AND HAS THE PRO MENTALITY AND BLINDERS ON. HE BLEEDS BLUE, NO ONE ELSE.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
          Tim worked tirelessly for Maine and was responsible for raising money (part of his job), for the Shawn Walsh Center and Alfond Arena renovation. Tim could only approve or disapprove the players that he was presented with by his recruiters. I don't think it is legitimate to blame Tim solely. He loved Maine hockey and left with dignity.
          Yawn......

Comment

• Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
            Big smoke screen? Appearances? Who knows.
            I'm sticking with my original prediction... It's not Corkum. Too much wasted time and $$ to go thru all this and still have it be him.
            I don't know who it will be, but I don't see Bob winning out over everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleA View Post
              I'm sticking with my original prediction... It's not Corkum. Too much wasted time and $$ to go thru all this and still have it be him.
              I don't know who it will be, but I don't see Bob winning out over everyone else.
              $$?? What $$ 5+ Guys doing meetings and conference calls? They do the committee on a volunteer basis. Doesnt cost the school a dime.

Corkum will be the new head coach and Maine will be back in the Garden next year, following year at the latest.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                I'm with you on Corkum. I'm pretty convinced that a lot of people would be unhappy regardless of who was picked. Look at the facts with Corkum; went to Maine, played a lot of games in the NHL, hard worker, and seems to be a man of high integrity. I honestly think him sticking with the team for so long shows loyalty and commitment more than anything else. It couldn't have been a lot of fun and it shows how much he cares about the program. Despite all this the grass will always be greener for a lot of folks.
                Corkum is a fine choice. I've said all along the process is completely unfair to him. He is being set up to fail. He will forever be compared to Jimmy at Denver (and maybe Gwoz at UConn). If the school had just come out and said he was the guy that would have been more acceptable to me than this 2-3 month farce of an "evaluation" and "search" for a new coach. My problem is more with the athletic department than with Corkum, although Bob did do a pretty good job of throwing his old boss under the bus. When he becomes the head coach it will feel more like a coup d'etat than a coronation.

Comment

"Athletic Director Steve Abbott has indicated that the Athletics Department is committed to reimbursing the president’s investment through anticipated revenues generated by renewing fan interest and increased ticket sales"

http://bangordailynews.com/slideshow...m-whitehead-2/

around the 3 minute mark
                  http://www.fandomsportsme.com/colleg...-tim-whitehead
                  Originally posted by True Blue Fan View Post

I agree this is a fantasy. Playing devils advocate, what if the new coach fizzles and the renewed interest and increased ticket sales don't materialize? Are they going to take the reimbursement out of the AD's budget? I highly doubt it. Donated funds to a President's discretionary fund were used to buy-out the contract. Period. The rest is fluff.
                  You know you go to UMaine if...

...you think Bananas is a good name for a giant bear.
                  ...you would riot after hockey games but its too darn cold.
                  ...you think hockey is the only sport that matters.
                  ...you hate UNH.

Comment

Originally posted by Maineiak View Post
                    I agree this is a fantasy. Playing devils advocate, what if the new coach fizzles and the renewed interest and increased ticket sales don't materialize? Are they going to take the reimbursement out of the AD's budget? I highly doubt it. Donated funds to a President's discretionary fund were used to buy-out the contract. Period. The rest is fluff.
                    The PLAN is to use this new revenue that flows into the program to reimburse the president's fund. Whether you want to believe that's fluff, a fantasy or whatever, that's the stated plan. Of course, this is the same athletic department that conducted a 15-day "evaluation" and a 2 month coaching "search" so who knows what the truth is.

Comment

so the UAA search has turned into a complete cluster****... apparently, after announcing that they had their four finalists, they are putting the search on hold, restructuring the committee and opening it up to more candidates... their selection committee was the bball coach, the running coach, the vball coach and a faculty member... good lord

http://www.adn.com/2013/05/02/288855...#storylink=cpy

Comment

so the UAA search has turned into a complete cluster****... apparently, after announcing that they had their four finalists, they are putting the search on hold, restructuring the committee and opening it up to more candidates... their selection committee was the bball coach, the running coach, the vball coach and a faculty member... good lord

Cant understand why the badminton coach wasnt on the search committee. Inexcusable.
                        sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                          You are not in the minority at all. 3 or 4 people telling us 75 times a day how it is a mistake is not the majority, it is the vocal minority. The silent majority will be happy with the pick
                          Everyone I've talked with is skeptical. Corkum has to take some of the blame for the poor performance of the team during his tenure. If the team had been doing well and Timmay was retiring or moving on by his own choice then Corkum would be near the top of the list. When you clean house you need to really clean house.

Most people I've talked with seem to think either the search is a farce and Abbott was planning on handing the job to Corkum all along, or 2) the University is really mismanaging this to the point that they will lose out on all of the top candidates. No one has been excited over the prospect of Corkum.

Comment

If we're just going to promote Corkum from within, maybe UAA should just promote Campbell Blair. He's a defense and goaltending guy, right? Let him focus on making it a PITA to play UAA. They should be able to get back to winning some games, esp at home . . . right?

On a side note, that has to be some of the all-time greatest spin I've ever seen. "We had a good process in place, but there was so much community interest that . . . we decided to make it even better."

That's almost worth digging up an ASCII 'ROFLCOPTER'
                            Last edited by amherstblackbear; 05-03-2013, 11:36 AM.
                            1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                              Everyone I've talked with is skeptical. Corkum has to take some of the blame for the poor performance of the team during his tenure. If the team had been doing well and Timmay was retiring or moving on by his own choice then Corkum would be near the top of the list. When you clean house you need to really clean house.

Most people I've talked with seem to think either the search is a farce and Abbott was planning on handing the job to Corkum all along, or 2) the University is really mismanaging this to the point that they will lose out on all of the top candidates. No one has been excited over the prospect of Corkum.
                              I am not so sure Corkum has to take much blame. No one really knows how the recruiting his handled and why the players do or do not come here in most cases. An assistant coach is to assist the head coach, nothing more, nothing less. The head coach bears the ultimate responsibility for the program from top to bottom. I do know that Corkum tried to work in some of his ideas and thoughts but was pretty much ignored by Tim. What can Corkum do at that point?

I don't have much to say on the search, except I don't believe Peter Metcalf would be involved if it were a straight dog and pony show. I know he loves Maine Hockey and will bleed blue forever.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post

Bear in mind that this is the only forum Hokydad has access to, and quite frankly, it isn't representative of the Maine fan base. It's representative of a portion of the fan base certainly, but there are a great many prominent members who do not post here. Are any members here FOMH? How many regular posters are donors to the program? How many alumni from the hockey team post here? He is right that it's a vocal part of the fan base, but he really shouldn't base much off what he sees here. There are very few opinions I value above my own when it comes to Maine Hockey and most of them have not said who they think will be the next coach and certainly have not said whether they think Corkum will be a good coach. We are the ones speculating.

Comment

Working...
                                X