This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

ESPN says Gwoz in "intense" discussions with UConn.....as the world turns. I figured salary would be an issue with Maine talked to him but whats UConn pay? Makes you wonder

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
    43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
    104-47-14 (.669) in that time
    3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
      ESPN says Gwoz in "intense" discussions with UConn.....as the world turns. I figured salary would be an issue with Maine talked to him but whats UConn pay? Makes you wonder
      UConn makes enough cash from their hoops programs to make it worthwhile. Plus the administration at UConn is more progressive than Maine and view his salary as an investment in the program's future rather than an expense. It'd be interesting to see where hockey fits on the totem pole at UConn with Gwoz as coach. t would certainly be a loud splash for the new program in Hockey East.

Also, it isn't just "ESPN" reporting this, it's John Buccigross, who does know his way around a hockey rink unlike just about everyone else in the organization. If it was ESPN I'd question the legitimacy of the report. Considering who is actually reporting the story gives it substance.

Anyone with Photoshop skills want to do up a picture of Steve Abbott playing the fiddle while the room around him bursts into flame?

ETA: Wayne Smith - who started the College Hockey Discussion List back in the day - posted that word out of Naples (big college convention) is that Maine is offering less than TW's salary for the job.
      Last edited by Priceless; 05-02-2013, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post

ETA: Wayne Smith - who started the College Hockey Discussion List back in the day - posted that word out of Naples (big college convention) is that Maine is offering less than TW's salary for the job.
        Wayne may be completely credible, and that may be fact . . . but if it is, he's seriously holding back on details.

This isn't the Dunkin' Drive thru. You don't advertise a salary for a job like this. You negotiate salary.

So if word of a salary offer has leaked, then the more important information would be to know who got the offer.

Color me skeptical. I want a name.
        1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
          Wayne may be completely credible, and that may be fact . . . but if it is, he's seriously holding back on details.

This isn't the Dunkin' Drive thru. You don't advertise a salary for a job like this. You negotiate salary.

So if word of a salary offer has leaked, then the more important information would be to know who got the offer.

Color me skeptical. I want a name.
          The name is Corkum.

According to Mike Anthony at the Hartford Courant on Twitter: "David Berard and BC asst Mike Cavanaugh have interviewed for UConn hockey job. Other finalist is George Gwozdecky, who interviews today."

Comment

The elephant in the room is this:

Athletics at the Division I level is a business venture, and should be looked at and handled as one.

The U is handling this as any governmental body or any academic body would: form a committee and study it for so long that the only solution left is either the path of least resistance or until your 'best' options have fallen off, leaving the decision pool to be the "lesser of remaining evils". The outward appearance is this: there is a fear of decision making.

This decision is going to "die in committee."
            Been a long time, been a long time been a long, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely time

Thank you, Tim. You did what you could and could do no more.

Comment

Originally posted by revoman View Post
              The elephant in the room is this:

Athletics at the Division I level is a business venture, and should be looked at and handled as one.

The U is handling this as any governmental body or any academic body would: form a committee and study it for so long that the only solution left is either the path of least resistance or until your 'best' options have fallen off, leaving the decision pool to be the "lesser of remaining evils". The outward appearance is this: there is a fear of decision making.

This decision is going to "die in committee."
              Bingo!

The hockey program is an investment. Abbott already said they were counting on increased ticket sales and other revenue to help pay TW's buyout. If you looked at it from a business standpoint, Gwozdecky would be worth that investment and the return would be phenomenal. At this point, the potential return on a Coach Corkum is hardly worth the risk because the returns are limited and down side is remarkable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                Corkum was not the one watching the USHL and BCHL games. He will do well and needs to great asts/grunts who will beat the bushes. Then when they come to visit, they see Corkum. He will go to Buc Bowl and thats about it.

Corkum will do a great job, asts will be critical
                So what your saying is that kerluke is the one to blame for the poor recruiting and that whitehead is the one to blame for the poor coaching? What exactly has corkum done since he's been at Maine then?

I get it that some people like corkum, but the reality is that he's has not proven that he can land top recruits, because he has not done it. He also has proven his ability to coach, because the team has been on the decline since the day he arrived. Blaming everything on whitehead is not the way to go, the assistants are the ones who are responsible for where to recruit, when to recruit, and what to offer. And if corkum didn't want to do that then one could assume he had a large role in the coaching aspect----which Maine fans seem to blame for the black bear demise....any way u slice it, corkum has had a hand in the program declining....

Comment

With the talks that UConn is down to three finalists including Gwozdecky, it'll be interesting to hear what their salary offer is and how it stacks up to other positions that have been filled. According to the Columbus Business Journal, Rohlick is getting $250k per year for 5 years. Gwoz was making roughly $220k at Denver before being fired so you figure Jimmy is somewhere in that ballpark.

As was mentioned, UConn's got infinitely deeper pockets than Maine so it'll be intriguing to see what they do.

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/...nt-rohlik.html

Comment

Originally posted by dover4345 View Post
                    So what your saying is that kerluke is the one to blame for the poor recruiting and that whitehead is the one to blame for the poor coaching? What exactly has corkum done since he's been at Maine then?

I get it that some people like corkum, but the reality is that he's has not proven that he can land top recruits, because he has not done it. He also has proven his ability to coach, because the team has been on the decline since the day he arrived. Blaming everything on whitehead is not the way to go, the assistants are the ones who are responsible for where to recruit, when to recruit, and what to offer. And if corkum didn't want to do that then one could assume he had a large role in the coaching aspect----which Maine fans seem to blame for the black bear demise....any way u slice it, corkum has had a hand in the program declining....
                    It's simpler than that. Anything good that happened was all Bob and everything bad that happened was all Tim. Sweep Boston College? Corkum took over the team that week. Swept by Lowell? All Tim. A kid becomes a Hobey Hat Trick finalist? Bob recruited him. A bust? That was Tim's recruit.

Comment

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
                      With the talks that UConn is down to three finalists including Gwozdecky, it'll be interesting to hear what their salary offer is and how it stacks up to other positions that have been filled. According to the Columbus Business Journal, Rohlick is getting $250k per year for 5 years. Gwoz was making roughly $220k at Denver before being fired so you figure Jimmy is somewhere in that ballpark.

As was mentioned, UConn's got infinitely deeper pockets than Maine so it'll be intriguing to see what they do.

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/...nt-rohlik.html
                      I don't think Jimmy is anywhere near that ballpark. Gwoz was making that after 19 years and two national titles. How much do you suppose he was making when he first took the job? Same with Maine. UM was paying TW $195K after a decade on the job; how much did he make back in 2002?

Comment

I don't think Jimmy is anywhere near that ballpark. Gwoz was making that after 19 years and two national titles. How much do you suppose he was making when he first took the job? Same with Maine. UM was paying TW $195K after a decade on the job; how much did he make back in 2002?
                        market price. 20 years ago no coach was making that kind of money... I think he's within 90% of it, so call it $200k... If Gwoz was asking $250k to stay, then getting Jimmy at $200k would look like a bargain.

Maine apparently is going to offer whomever (Corkum) less than what TW made last year, but it will be more than what whitehead started at... I'm guessing he'll get $170-$175k and possibly that foolish (in the way it was described) COLA increase each year.

Comment

The name is Corkum.
                          I thought he'd be taller.
                          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Nice to see Gustav be the hero in OT last night

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|DET|home
                            New Hampshire: only useful for connecting Maine to the rest of the United States.

Comment

...Abbott already said they were counting on increased ticket sales and other revenue to help pay TW's buyout.
                              This is not accurate. TW's buyout came strictly from donated money. No need to cover those funds with "ticket sales and other revenue".
                              You know you go to UMaine if...

...you think Bananas is a good name for a giant bear.
                              ...you would riot after hockey games but its too darn cold.
                              ...you think hockey is the only sport that matters.
                              ...you hate UNH.

Comment

Originally posted by Maineiak View Post
                                This is not accurate. TW's buyout came strictly from donated money. No need to cover those funds with "ticket sales and other revenue".
                                "Athletic Director Steve Abbott has indicated that the Athletics Department is committed to reimbursing the president’s investment through anticipated revenues generated by renewing fan interest and increased ticket sales"

http://bangordailynews.com/slideshow...m-whitehead-2/

around the 3 minute mark
                                http://www.fandomsportsme.com/colleg...-tim-whitehead
                                Last edited by gscott13; 05-03-2013, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X