This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
    That's incorrect, Guy Perron handled recruiting in between them.
    If Corkum is the one doing recruiting why is Kerluke the one who is always showing the kids around
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by BearBrews View Post
      Uh, no, not correct, Standbrook and Perron left the same year after 07-08. Bob's first year was 08-09
      Standbrook was a volunteer coach his last couple years, he wasn't doing the recruiting.
      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Re: Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

Originally posted by walrus View Post
        If Corkum is the one doing recruiting why is Kerluke the one who is always showing the kids around
        This is also a good point; its not a one man role, or a one year process. Its a cumulative effort. My point here is that a top recruit with interest at a need position who Standbrook had hooked wasn't reeled in by Corkum et. all after Grant moved on, then ended up playing for a competitive program.

Comment

That's incorrect, Guy Perron handled recruiting in between them.
          And Grant was not close to as active last few years either.

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
            I am not sure exactly how they handle it. BearBrews is the one banging on about how Corkum has messed everything up.
            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Bob did not have the final say on who to recruit, where to recruit, when to recruit, how much to offer, and the presentation to the recruit. So to say that he is responsible for another's actions or lack thereof is absurd. Personally, I wish they would announce something so they can start planning for the future.

Comment

I am not sure exactly how they handle it. BearBrews is the one banging on about how Corkum has messed everything up.
                I've never seen Bob at a game with a recruit , I've seen Kerluke with lots of them. I've never heard of Bob missing a game due to recruiting. Kerluke has missed many due to reruiting
                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

I had assumed recruiting was the assoc coach - not the asst. Maybe I was wrong.

OK . . . Fire Kerluke!

But seriously, this is why you want continuity when things are going well, but a clean break when they aren't. Separating credit and blame among a staff is really hard.

gscott makes a good point. To the extent that Corkum's comments (when he was named interim) are accurate, that may signal a shift in recruiting. Maybe if he got to dictate team philosophy, he (and Kerluke and whoever the 3rd coach will be) will start recruiting differently than they did when they were getting players for Whitehead. If there's one clear trend that I don't think anyone would argue, it's that over the last several years Maine has moved away from recruiting bigger, older players. These days, Maine is playing more or less the same game that BC, BU, and UNH are (smaller, younger, faster). Just not as well.

I'm ambivalent about going backwards on this one. On one hand, I like the idea of bringing in "normal" age freshmen. I also like bringing in good kids who do well academically, and who reflect well on the program.

But if Maine needs to play a certain style of hockey in order to be more competitive (my take on Corkum's comments and gscott's) and the current approach doesn't suit that model, maybe it's not so unreasonable to expect that things would change under Corkum. Hopefully there's a middle ground somewhere. I don't know how I'd feel if Maine went full-on Quinnippiac (avg age = 24).
                  1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                    I had assumed recruiting was the assoc coach - not the asst. Maybe I was wrong.

OK . . . Fire Kerluke!

But seriously, this is why you want continuity when things are going well, but a clean break when they aren't. Separating credit and blame among a staff is really hard.

gscott makes a good point. To the extent that Corkum's comments (when he was named interim) are accurate, that may signal a shift in recruiting. Maybe if he got to dictate team philosophy, he (and Kerluke and whoever the 3rd coach will be) will start recruiting differently than they did when they were getting players for Whitehead. If there's one clear trend that I don't think anyone would argue, it's that over the last several years Maine has moved away from recruiting bigger, older players. These days, Maine is playing more or less the same game that BC, BU, and UNH are (smaller, younger, faster). Just not as well.

I'm ambivalent about going backwards on this one. On one hand, I like the idea of bringing in "normal" age freshmen. I also like bringing in good kids who do well academically, and who reflect well on the program.

But if Maine needs to play a certain style of hockey in order to be more competitive (my take on Corkum's comments and gscott's) and the current approach doesn't suit that model, maybe it's not so unreasonable to expect that things would change under Corkum. Hopefully there's a middle ground somewhere. I don't know how I'd feel if Maine went full-on Quinnippiac (avg age = 24).
                    I know how I'd feel about average age 24. I think it sucks. I hate it that any team does that chit. Give me a quick, smart, motivated, bright and young kid any day of the week. I'd like to see the overaged kids discouraged from playing college hockey...sorry, but thats that way I see it.
                    sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post

OK . . . Fire Kerluke!

I'm down with that.
                      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by all bear View Post
                        I know how I'd feel about average age 24. I think it sucks. I hate it that any team does that chit. Give me a quick, smart, motivated, bright and young kid any day of the week. I'd like to see the overaged kids discouraged from playing college hockey...sorry, but thats that way I see it.
                        Call me cynical, but recruiting over-age Juniors (again) sounds fine to me. Maine used to do that, and with success. (Heck, it even works at the D-3 level.)

Let's face it: Maine isn't likely to wrest any top 18-YO prep talents from BC/BU/UNH anytime soon. Might as well open the door to last-chance 22 YO's, win games due to strength and maturity, and then try to attract some plum prospects, when it looks like Maine is on its way back.

Just my $0.02, but I really don't see any other viable strategy at this juncture... Tim has pretty-much buried this program.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                          Me too, the longer it takes the more I think someone else has the job. Why take this long to name Corkum?
                          Big smoke screen? Appearances? Who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                            Call me cynical, but recruiting over-age Juniors (again) sounds fine to me. Maine used to do that, and with success. (Heck, it even works at the D-3 level.)

Let's face it: Maine isn't likely to wrest any top 18-YO prep talents from BC/BU/UNH anytime soon. Might as well open the door to last-chance 22 YO's, win games due to strength and maturity, and then try to attract some plum prospects, when it looks like Maine is on its way back.

Just my $0.02, but I really don't see any other viable strategy at this juncture... Tim has pretty-much buried this program.
                            Agree 100%. At this point I don't care how old the kids are. To quote the late Al Davis, just win baby! The rest will take care of itself.

Comment

someone copied this on fb this morning, but one of the funnier things I've seen this week, from twitter:
                              RT @Dustinpenner25
                              Honestly I don't care if you are gay or straight as my teammate. As long as you don't listen to Nickelback. #courage

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                                Corkum was not the one watching the USHL and BCHL games. He will do well and needs to great asts/grunts who will beat the bushes. Then when they come to visit, they see Corkum. He will go to Buc Bowl and thats about it.

Corkum will do a great job, asts will be critical

Comment

Working...
                                X