PDA

View Full Version : Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

gscott13
05-01-2013, 02:48 PM
Money? Although my source say 1 donor took care of that. I dunno, I assume Abbott and company were in town and could have done it anytime. Actually why did they wait until after the season if they just wanted to appoint Corkum as coach?

that review period was nothing more than lining up private money to pay TW off.

as far as the recruiting discussion, here's my take:

Other teams have gotten the cream of the crop for a long time and maine has largely gotten that next level type player with a few really elite guys sprinkled in here and there. Maine won games by being tenacious, gritty and having a good mix of physical and skill guys. The physical guys to skate and the skill guys could take the body. When Maine wasn't the best team on the ice, they were still capable of wearing the better team down and winning games that way.

I think the focus of recruiting of late was to recruit for speed and skill and less so, the gritty/physical style. The problem is, when you are getting the second/third tier skill guys and end up playing teams that are more or equally skilled and equally quick, then you have nothing left to neutralize a better opponent. This was exacerbated by the less physical style TW wanted his team to play.

So where does the buck stop? Is it on the assistants who were out doing the recruiting, or was TW saying go get me this kind of player and that's what they come up with? The question is, how much discretion do the guys beating the bushes have? I have a hard time believing that Corkum had the same latitude/discretion Grant had.

Hokydad
05-01-2013, 02:58 PM
that review period was nothing more than lining up private money to pay TW off.

as far as the recruiting discussion, here's my take:

Other teams have gotten the cream of the crop for a long time and maine has largely gotten that next level type player with a few really elite guys sprinkled in here and there. Maine won games by being tenacious, gritty and having a good mix of physical and skill guys. The physical guys to skate and the skill guys could take the body. When Maine wasn't the best team on the ice, they were still capable of wearing the better team down and winning games that way.

I think the focus of recruiting of late was to recruit for speed and skill and less so, the gritty/physical style. The problem is, when you are getting the second/third tier skill guys and end up playing teams that are more or equally skilled and equally quick, then you have nothing left to neutralize a better opponent. This was exacerbated by the less physical style TW wanted his team to play.

So where does the buck stop? Is it on the assistants who were out doing the recruiting, or was TW saying go get me this kind of player and that's what they come up with? The question is, how much discretion do the guys beating the bushes have? I have a hard time believing that Corkum had the same latitude/discretion Grant had.

Maine also had outstanding goalies. Not so much last 3/4 or after Howard and Bishop to a lesser extent. If Howard, Snow or Dunham were there past 2 or 3 years they would have had home ice playoff games and heading to Garden

BearBrews
05-01-2013, 03:00 PM
Standbrook and Bob never coached Maine at the same time . So it was not Bob's responsibility

Uh, Corkum took over Grant's recruiting, so it was Bob's responsibility. That's the point. Grant left and Bob dropped the ball on the handoff.

Drew S.
05-01-2013, 03:11 PM
Uh, Corkum took over Grant's recruiting, so it was Bob's responsibility. That's the point. Grant left and Bob dropped the ball on the handoff.

That's incorrect, Guy Perron handled recruiting in between them.

BearBrews
05-01-2013, 03:38 PM

Uh, no, not correct, Standbrook and Perron left the same year after 07-08. Bob's first year was 08-09

walrus
05-01-2013, 03:38 PM

If Corkum is the one doing recruiting why is Kerluke the one who is always showing the kids around

Drew S.
05-01-2013, 03:40 PM
Uh, no, not correct, Standbrook and Perron left the same year after 07-08. Bob's first year was 08-09

Standbrook was a volunteer coach his last couple years, he wasn't doing the recruiting.

BearBrews
05-01-2013, 03:40 PM
If Corkum is the one doing recruiting why is Kerluke the one who is always showing the kids around

This is also a good point; its not a one man role, or a one year process. Its a cumulative effort. My point here is that a top recruit with interest at a need position who Standbrook had hooked wasn't reeled in by Corkum et. all after Grant moved on, then ended up playing for a competitive program.

Hokydad
05-01-2013, 03:41 PM

And Grant was not close to as active last few years either.

Drew S.
05-01-2013, 03:42 PM

I am not sure exactly how they handle it. BearBrews is the one banging on about how Corkum has messed everything up.

Hockeyman99
05-01-2013, 03:52 PM
Bob did not have the final say on who to recruit, where to recruit, when to recruit, how much to offer, and the presentation to the recruit. So to say that he is responsible for another's actions or lack thereof is absurd. Personally, I wish they would announce something so they can start planning for the future.

walrus
05-01-2013, 03:55 PM
I am not sure exactly how they handle it. BearBrews is the one banging on about how Corkum has messed everything up.

I've never seen Bob at a game with a recruit , I've seen Kerluke with lots of them. I've never heard of Bob missing a game due to recruiting. Kerluke has missed many due to reruiting

amherstblackbear
05-01-2013, 04:38 PM
I had assumed recruiting was the assoc coach - not the asst. Maybe I was wrong. :o

OK . . . Fire Kerluke! :p

But seriously, this is why you want continuity when things are going well, but a clean break when they aren't. Separating credit and blame among a staff is really hard.

gscott makes a good point. To the extent that Corkum's comments (when he was named interim) are accurate, that may signal a shift in recruiting. Maybe if he got to dictate team philosophy, he (and Kerluke and whoever the 3rd coach will be) will start recruiting differently than they did when they were getting players for Whitehead. If there's one clear trend that I don't think anyone would argue, it's that over the last several years Maine has moved away from recruiting bigger, older players. These days, Maine is playing more or less the same game that BC, BU, and UNH are (smaller, younger, faster). Just not as well.

I'm ambivalent about going backwards on this one. On one hand, I like the idea of bringing in "normal" age freshmen. I also like bringing in good kids who do well academically, and who reflect well on the program.

But if Maine needs to play a certain style of hockey in order to be more competitive (my take on Corkum's comments and gscott's) and the current approach doesn't suit that model, maybe it's not so unreasonable to expect that things would change under Corkum. Hopefully there's a middle ground somewhere. I don't know how I'd feel if Maine went full-on Quinnippiac (avg age = 24).

all bear
05-01-2013, 05:12 PM
I had assumed recruiting was the assoc coach - not the asst. Maybe I was wrong. :o

But seriously, this is why you want continuity when things are going well, but a clean break when they aren't. Separating credit and blame among a staff is really hard.

gscott makes a good point. To the extent that Corkum's comments (when he was named interim) are accurate, that may signal a shift in recruiting. Maybe if he got to dictate team philosophy, he (and Kerluke and whoever the 3rd coach will be) will start recruiting differently than they did when they were getting players for Whitehead. If there's one clear trend that I don't think anyone would argue, it's that over the last several years Maine has moved away from recruiting bigger, older players. These days, Maine is playing more or less the same game that BC, BU, and UNH are (smaller, younger, faster). Just not as well.

I'm ambivalent about going backwards on this one. On one hand, I like the idea of bringing in "normal" age freshmen. I also like bringing in good kids who do well academically, and who reflect well on the program.

But if Maine needs to play a certain style of hockey in order to be more competitive (my take on Corkum's comments and gscott's) and the current approach doesn't suit that model, maybe it's not so unreasonable to expect that things would change under Corkum. Hopefully there's a middle ground somewhere. I don't know how I'd feel if Maine went full-on Quinnippiac (avg age = 24).
I know how I'd feel about average age 24. I think it sucks. I hate it that any team does that chit. Give me a quick, smart, motivated, bright and young kid any day of the week. I'd like to see the overaged kids discouraged from playing college hockey...sorry, but thats that way I see it.

rufus
05-01-2013, 06:56 PM

I'm down with that.

Fishman'81
05-01-2013, 11:58 PM
I know how I'd feel about average age 24. I think it sucks. I hate it that any team does that chit. Give me a quick, smart, motivated, bright and young kid any day of the week. I'd like to see the overaged kids discouraged from playing college hockey...sorry, but thats that way I see it.

Call me cynical, but recruiting over-age Juniors (again) sounds fine to me. Maine used to do that, and with success. (Heck, it even works at the D-3 level.)

Let's face it: Maine isn't likely to wrest any top 18-YO prep talents from BC/BU/UNH anytime soon. Might as well open the door to last-chance 22 YO's, win games due to strength and maturity, and then try to attract some plum prospects, when it looks like Maine is on its way back.

Just my $0.02, but I really don't see any other viable strategy at this juncture... Tim has pretty-much buried this program.

ck1969
05-02-2013, 07:06 AM
Me too, the longer it takes the more I think someone else has the job. Why take this long to name Corkum?

Big smoke screen? Appearances? Who knows.

ck1969
05-02-2013, 07:09 AM
Call me cynical, but recruiting over-age Juniors (again) sounds fine to me. Maine used to do that, and with success. (Heck, it even works at the D-3 level.)

Let's face it: Maine isn't likely to wrest any top 18-YO prep talents from BC/BU/UNH anytime soon. Might as well open the door to last-chance 22 YO's, win games due to strength and maturity, and then try to attract some plum prospects, when it looks like Maine is on its way back.

Just my $0.02, but I really don't see any other viable strategy at this juncture... Tim has pretty-much buried this program.

Agree 100%. At this point I don't care how old the kids are. To quote the late Al Davis, just win baby! The rest will take care of itself.

WildShawn
05-02-2013, 07:52 AM
someone copied this on fb this morning, but one of the funnier things I've seen this week, from twitter:
RT @Dustinpenner25
Honestly I don't care if you are gay or straight as my teammate. As long as you don't listen to Nickelback. #courage

Hokydad
05-02-2013, 08:14 AM

Corkum was not the one watching the USHL and BCHL games. He will do well and needs to great asts/grunts who will beat the bushes. Then when they come to visit, they see Corkum. He will go to Buc Bowl and thats about it.

Corkum will do a great job, asts will be critical