X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Hockey Thread II: The Search for Spock

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    ok, but if maine actually had their crap together, don't you think there's a chance he sticks to his commitment?
    Big Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
      o'connor will be real good with corkum
      I wouldn't be surprised to see that.

O'Connor impressed me as a Freshman; kinda put me in mind of Prestin, but not quite so angry.

He seemed to have lost his way under Tim, but if the next coach cuts him loose, I think he'll have a nice year.

Comment

Corkum been hired yet?
        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

maine hockey journal reporting that nick roberto has committed to bu

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
            Corkum been hired yet?
            Yes, we just haven't been told yet.

Comment

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
              maine hockey journal reporting that nick roberto has committed to bu
              Why? hokydad says their new coach is a tool. .
              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

I thought the idea was to have a coach by May 7 or so, before current players jet for the summer.

Even if no announcement from the AD, I guess I was expecting word to get out by now re: campus visits. Even if it is a charade...
                1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

• Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                  I thought the idea was to have a coach by May 7 or so, before current players jet for the summer.

Even if no announcement from the AD, I guess I was expecting word to get out by now re: campus visits. Even if it is a charade...
                  If the rumored short list is corkum, pellerin, Cronin, gendron... all are familiar with the school and facilities do perhaps the interviews are all easily done from afar?

I would still want them to meet face to face. ..

Comment

Face-to-face interviews will be happening very shortly. The committee is doing their job. Peter Metcalf cares about Maine hockey more than most people on here will ever know. This is not a dog and pony show like the farce of an "evaluation" that cost them the chance to go after Jim Montgomery by waiting three weeks. People might be upset that Corkum is the guy because they don't want it to be like Tim all over again, but the players respect Corkum. By respect, I don't mean he's easy on them so they like him. They respect him because he knows what he is talking about and will get the most out of each of them if he gets the job.

Unless Maine could pull Gwozdecky, Leaman or Dennehy in, I see no reason to complain about Corkum getting the job. I can ensure people that Corkum will not bring the same-old, same-old. It will be a new regime with passion and the excitement at Alfond will be back.
                    https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                    Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
                      Face-to-face interviews will be happening very shortly. The committee is doing their job. Peter Metcalf cares about Maine hockey more than most people on here will ever know. This is not a dog and pony show like the farce of an "evaluation" that cost them the chance to go after Jim Montgomery by waiting three weeks. People might be upset that Corkum is the guy because they don't want it to be like Tim all over again, but the players respect Corkum. By respect, I don't mean he's easy on them so they like him. They respect him because he knows what he is talking about and will get the most out of each of them if he gets the job.

Unless Maine could pull Gwozdecky, Leaman or Dennehy in, I see no reason to complain about Corkum getting the job. I can ensure people that Corkum will not bring the same-old, same-old. It will be a new regime with passion and the excitement at Alfond will be back.
                      Doesn't matter if it is a farce or not. If the job goes to Corkum, good luck convincing anyone that the fix wasn't in from the start.

As for Cronin, I have heard from a longtime friend of the program (used to be an usher at Alfond, among other things) that if the choice is Cronin his days of being affiliated with the program are over. Some of you have no idea how much negative will there exists from some of the old-time boosters towards Cronin from his days as the replacement coach - and it goes beyond wins and losses. If the university somehow chooses him it would be a monumental mistake.

Comment

anybody catch this one

http://www.pressherald.com/opinion/l...013-04-27.html

Comment

("Kissing cousins", maybe?)

Thanks for the link.

Comment

• Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
                            I can't believe they would publish that rubbish. No doubt Tim is a great man, but things were not working and pretty much all enthusiasm for the team had died. It was most definitely time to move on.
                            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                              I can't believe they would publish that rubbish. No doubt Tim is a great man, but things were not working and pretty much all enthusiasm for the team had died. It was most definitely time to move on.
                              It's one thing to publish an opinion piece, but another to publish one in which the author openly admits that he is biased.

No one has ever questioned TW the person.

Comment

Why would anyone ever think that Corkum would be a good choice? Are they high? Reasons:

- Recruiting has been identified as a major issue for the Hockey Program; frankly, they haven't been pulling in the kinds of talent they should over the last few years, and the pieces haven't come together the way they could. The primary responsibility of the assistant coaching staff is, uh, recruiting. The team that is there now respects Corkum not because "he is tough on them" or a "serious hockey coach", it's because he predominantly brought them there. So how is promoting a guy that performed is major job function well below par a good move?

- The fans, the students, the program needs a major overhaul; whether or not you want to lump Corkum in with Timmy is irrelevant because he was there under Timmy for so long. This isn't a scarlet letter type situation, he was a major part of an incredibly flawed and under performing program. You want to instill vigor and excitement into a region, program and fan base? Overhaul it at the top; there are plenty of qualified candidates with Maine ties (Pellerin, cough cough) out there to bring in. Don't repeat the mistake; I can't speak for anyone else, but I promise that if/when Corkum is promoted, I am just going to be sitting there waiting for him to fail to get the real change we are all owed now.

- Maine hockey might be decently competitive next year, but they're still a ways off from being a national powerhouse again. Their positioning next year is more related to deficiencies at BC, changes at BU, and a lack of top power in the Hockey East more so than it is the talent they've accumulated. They'll compete by default. And things aren't going to get any easier with programs such as Notre Dame and UCONN coming into the Hockey East, schools with presence and budget to make a competitive hockey program. We need a leader with the youth, interest, vigor, passion to make this HIS program the same way Enrico Blasi did at Miami; Blasi took his own experience and love for Miami, made the program HIS, and gave it national prominence. Players went to play for him because they connected with Blasi, and while Corkum shares the 'having played for' attribute, there isn't much else to parallel.

PLEASE don't hire Corkum full time. PLEASE. Don't hire George Gwozdecky. Hire a Pellerin; hire someone we can all get excited about, someone who can recruit, someone who "Bleeds Blue" that will make this program theirs, and bring us back on top.

Comment

Working...
                                X