PDA

View Full Version : OHIO STATE. Who will be the new 2013/14 Head Coach?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9

Jim
04-25-2013, 10:25 AM
Nothing out of Ohio State said he was fired for being unsuccessful.
15-18-4,.459
15-15-5, .500
16-17-7, .482

46-50-16 .478

Yeah, he was fired for being unsuccessful. Or maybe he just wanted to spend more time with his family...

THE OHIO STATE
04-25-2013, 01:55 PM
15-18-4,.459
15-15-5, .500
16-17-7, .482

46-50-16 .478

Yeah, he was fired for being unsuccessful. Or maybe he just wanted to spend more time with his family...

Coach OZ was FIRED due to his bad attitude & the way he treated others around him in the program. The way he carried himself. I think what will hurt his BIG headed attitude the most will be he's not going to Coach the team in the BIG-10 next year. :D LOL.

Hockeybuckeye
04-25-2013, 05:13 PM
Unless someone was in Gene Smith's office everything that everyone has said on why he was fired is 100% pure speculation! I'm sure it will become known someday but until then don't seem so sure of yourselves as I have no problem with someone saying it was probably or I think but talking like you do know is wrong and it's misleading to those who aren't OSU fans who inquire about it.

Draighlicht
04-25-2013, 06:10 PM
Unless someone was in Gene Smith's office everything that everyone has said on why he was fired is 100% pure speculation! I'm sure it will become known someday but until then don't seem so sure of yourselves as I have no problem with someone saying it was probably or I think but talking like you do know is wrong and it's misleading to those who aren't OSU fans who inquire about it.Perfectly said. Thank you.

GreyGhost
04-26-2013, 12:21 AM
Unless someone was in Gene Smith's office everything that everyone has said on why he was fired is 100% pure speculation! I'm sure it will become known someday but until then don't seem so sure of yourselves as I have no problem with someone saying it was probably or I think but talking like you do know is wrong and it's misleading to those who aren't OSU fans who inquire about it.

You're spot on. It is also wrong and misleading to those who ARE Ohio State fans. Go Bucks!

On a side note, I'm so tired of hearing about "big name coach", "hockey only arena", "set the program back years" and "OSU commitment to hockey". "Oz this, Oz that, Gene Smith this, Gene Smith that". Do any of you people believe some of the comments you make? The fact of the matter is that without Ohio State football and basketball and the revenue those sports generate, the 20-some sports that these two help support that operate in the red every year...without football and basketball, hockey would not exist.

By my calculations and from what I have been able to research online, hockey operates at a $1.5-2M deficit every year (ticket sales and donations less (salaries, travel expenses, scholarships, facility expenses, etc)). Sure there is revenue in college hockey, but we have to get there. Changing up the program for a "big name coach" would again set the program back another few years as the re-adjustment takes place. Most like the way the program is progressing and moving forward under Oz, I think that will continue under Rohlik. We have some very good recruits coming in to support a strong hockey core. By all accounts, this should be a very good season and future for Ohio State hockey.

Next season should be our focus. Can we please stop with the negativity of the past and focus on the future?

Hockeybuckeye
04-26-2013, 06:25 AM
Next season should be our focus. Can we please stop with the negativity of the past and focus on the future?It's hard to stop being negative when there are some lingering issues. I simply don't trust the AD and those under him when it comes to making the right decisions and to have a real commitment to the program. However on the positive side I'm comfortable with our new coach and as when Oz came here it's simply going to be several years until we have a true view of where the program will be or is heading.

jen
04-26-2013, 08:11 AM
Coach OZ was FIRED due to his bad attitude & the way he treated others around him in the program. The way he carried himself. I think what will hurt his BIG headed attitude the most will be he's not going to Coach the team in the BIG-10 next year. :D LOL.

to an outside observer, you sound a lot like a disgruntled parent whose kid didn't get a lot of playing time.

osualum86
04-26-2013, 10:05 AM
It's hard to stop being negative when there are some lingering issues. I simply don't trust the AD and those under him when it comes to making the right decisions and to have a real commitment to the program. However on the positive side I'm comfortable with our new coach and as when Oz came here it's simply going to be several years until we have a true view of where the program will be or is heading.

This. Hard to stop being negative when the athletic department has treated hockey the same way for years (as an afterthought), yet expects different results (definition of insanity). I'll support Rohlik even though he was not my first choice, but with the players he has back as well as the recruiting class, I will expect him to win right away. When you promote an assistant and all the players are back, the "rebuilding" excuse doesn't really work in that situation.

In regard to the post by GreyGhost, I think the reason some of us bring up those things (big name coach, hockey only arena, commitment to the program) is because that's what we see highly successful college hockey programs doing, and we want Ohio State to have a highly successful program. In regard to the financial side of it, seems to me if schools the size of some of the participants in the Frozen Four (take your pick ... Massachusetts-Lowell, Quinnipiac, St. Cloud State, Yale) can shell out the coin to put championship-caliber hockey programs on the ice, there's no reason Ohio State should not be able to as well.

Sterling Cooper
04-26-2013, 11:04 AM

Good points. From my perspective, I'm an absentee alum/fan living in Chicago, so I really don't know how Oz may or may not have been acting behind the scenes. Others clearly have some strong opinions of that, and I'd be foolish to dismiss them. OTOH, my natural inclination is that Gene Smith is completely and utterly worthless, has a track record of #$%^ing things up and a track record of being utterly dismissive of the hockey programs. I find it hard to give him the benefit of the doubt in this.

osualum86
04-26-2013, 12:44 PM
Good points. From my perspective, I'm an absentee alum/fan living in Chicago, so I really don't know how Oz may or may not have been acting behind the scenes. Others clearly have some strong opinions of that, and I'd be foolish to dismiss them. OTOH, my natural inclination is that Gene Smith is completely and utterly worthless, has a track record of #$%^ing things up and a track record of being utterly dismissive of the hockey programs. I find it hard to give him the benefit of the doubt in this.

+1 on this post! Those of us who have been critical of Gene Smith and the athletic department's handling of our hockey program are just going by the track record!

Hockeybuckeye
04-26-2013, 05:30 PM
A couple of interesting things have come up, first in today's Dispatch Rohlik LIKES the Schott and feels it has been a good recruiting tool. I will add from my perspective how many schools have THEIR OWN NHL size arena for college hockey?
Second, Coach Rohlik sent an email out today to all the hockey alumni reaching out to them trying to mend some fences here. One of the negatives (and I don't have many) I can with certainty say about Oz is he was absorbed in building the hockey culture he thought we should have at OSU. And because of that the hockey alumni and the support they've always given the program got shoved to the back of the bus. We didn't have a lot of traditions but one of the most important was alumni weekend and the alumni game which Oz got rid of and it looks like the new coach will be reinstituting it in some form. Good for him!

Hockeybuckeye
04-26-2013, 06:21 PM
Given what I said about the hockey alumni in my last post perhaps that could have been another factor in Oz's demise, maybe the AD was getting it from them on how Oz wasn't respecting our traditions? It happened to Rich Rod at Michigan. Again, who knows? Just something to debate or discuss.

Draighlicht
04-26-2013, 06:40 PM
Given what I said about the hockey alumni in my last post perhaps that could have been another factor in Oz's demise, maybe the AD was getting it from them on how Oz wasn't respecting our traditions? It happened to Rich Rod at Michigan. Again, who knows? Just something to debate or discuss.the difference here is that Michigan has a rich football tradition. I wouldn't use the term "rich" to describe the OSU hockey tradition. If they canned Oz because the former players were upset they are looking at the wrong end of the horse.

GreyGhost
04-26-2013, 08:45 PM
This. Hard to stop being negative when the athletic department has treated hockey the same way for years (as an afterthought), yet expects different results (definition of insanity). I'll support Rohlik even though he was not my first choice, but with the players he has back as well as the recruiting class, I will expect him to win right away. When you promote an assistant and all the players are back, the "rebuilding" excuse doesn't really work in that situation.

In regard to the post by GreyGhost, I think the reason some of us bring up those things (big name coach, hockey only arena, commitment to the program) is because that's what we see highly successful college hockey programs doing, and we want Ohio State to have a highly successful program. In regard to the financial side of it, seems to me if schools the size of some of the participants in the Frozen Four (take your pick ... Massachusetts-Lowell, Quinnipiac, St. Cloud State, Yale) can shell out the coin to put championship-caliber hockey programs on the ice, there's no reason Ohio State should not be able to as well.

Thanks osualum86....I agree with your assessment. Could things be done/handled differently by OSU? You bet. But beating a dead horse gets us no where toward that goal. Rohlik had some good statements in the Dispatch (reprint from his presser earlier in the week) and rumor has it he sent out an email to hockey alumns. I think that is a first good step toward good faith that the program may finally be changing in a positive, inclusive manner. Maybe this is a first step toward a new day and a new direction for the program at Ohio State.

osualum86
04-26-2013, 09:24 PM
Thanks osualum86....I agree with your assessment. Could things be done/handled differently by OSU? You bet. But beating a dead horse gets us no where toward that goal. Rohlik had some good statements in the Dispatch (reprint from his presser earlier in the week) and rumor has it he sent out an email to hockey alumns. I think that is a first good step toward good faith that the program may finally be changing in a positive, inclusive manner. Maybe this is a first step toward a new day and a new direction for the program at Ohio State.

Nice first step by Rohlik reconnecting with the hockey alums. Maybe he can reconnect with the Center Ice Club and we can get that going again. Now that the smoke has cleared on all this and Rohlik was able to salvage the players and the recruits, I am starting to look forward to the season again. The players seem to really like Rohlik. Hopefully they play their butts off for him this season! Can't wait until the schedule comes out!

THE OHIO STATE
04-26-2013, 10:38 PM
Nice first step by Rohlik reconnecting with the hockey alums. Maybe he can reconnect with the Center Ice Club and we can get that going again. Now that the smoke has cleared on all this and Rohlik was able to salvage the players and the recruits, I am starting to look forward to the season again. The players seem to really like Rohlik. Hopefully they play their butts off for him this season! Can't wait until the schedule comes out!

I agree. I'm also excited to see how Coach Rohlick , staff & players do in the 2013/14 season. GO BUCKS GO.

Hockeybuckeye
04-27-2013, 04:54 PM
the difference here is that Michigan has a rich football tradition. I wouldn't use the term "rich" to describe the OSU hockey tradition. If they canned Oz because the former players were upset they are looking at the wrong end of the horse.Well I wasn't implying that was the reason as there's no way it could have been, just that it could have been just one of the factors as he seemed not to give the alumni the considerations they were used to and some may have made some waves so this was just one item out of how many issues the AD might have had?

Draighlicht
04-29-2013, 10:10 AM
OK the job posting for assistant coach is down. Who is it? :D

jerryj
04-29-2013, 12:49 PM
any idea which recruits, if any, you are losing with the head coaching change?

osualum86
04-29-2013, 02:24 PM
any idea which recruits, if any, you are losing with the head coaching change?

Everything I have read indicates we are not losing any recruits. Sorry, guess your program won't be able to poach any of our recruiting commitments. :D