PDA

View Full Version : OHIO STATE. Who will be the new 2013/14 Head Coach?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9

GreyGhost
04-22-2013, 12:09 PM
wow, I leave the country for a week and you all let things go to hell.:D

See what you have done?

osualum86
04-22-2013, 12:21 PM
wow, I leave the country for a week and you all let things go to hell.:D

Welcome home! And welcome to the discussion! Great timing on this, huh?!? Nothing like firing the coach right before the start of Big Ten Hockey! Now that you are here, what are your thoughts on all this?

5mn_Major
04-22-2013, 02:09 PM
Agree with 5mn_Major; consistent coverage on BTN will be an asset to the OSU program. That consistency is very important for attracting the casual fan. No doubt his Gophers have benefited greatly from having virtually comprehensive television coverage over the years.

The situation here at OSU has been that only a handful of games per season have been broadcast. Often those broadcasts took a satellite dish and a fair amount of devotion to find. For example, hard core fans would track down a game on FSN Detroit with a dish, either at home or a sports bar. But the casual fan would be completely unaware of such a broadcast.

Here's to hoping that the head coach applicants will view the coming BTN coverage as a large plus when evaluating what OSU has to offer.

You can't understate the magnitude of importance ongoing TV coverage has. For OSU, the reinforcement of the program over key recruiting grounds (including MN) and the reinforcement of the B1G brand as THE conference to be in...will all be driven home by BTN.

Hockeybuckeye
04-22-2013, 04:47 PM
wow, I leave the country for a week and you all let things go to hell.:DYeah, you missed the deadline by a day to apply!

Draighlicht
04-22-2013, 06:50 PM
Welcome home! And welcome to the discussion! Great timing on this, huh?!? Nothing like firing the coach right before the start of Big Ten Hockey! Now that you are here, what are your thoughts on all this?Let's start with being appalled. Everyone is speculating but no one seems to know why this happened. I won't add to the speculation so I don't have much to say.

My biggest fear is that this will decimate recruiting for five or six years, and I really liked the way recruiting was heading. I also think that depending on who the replacement is we may see a mass exodus of drafted payers to the NHL, AHL and ECHL. Right now I think I would prefer that Steve Rohlik stay on for at least this coming year as head coach or assistant - just for some continuity. And don't let Joe Exter get way either..

Since they took the posting down I hope they spent today sending out thank you for applying and now go away letters to Paul Pooley, Dave Smith and a few others.

osualum86
04-22-2013, 07:55 PM
Let's start with being appalled. Everyone is speculating but no one seems to know why this happened. I won't add to the speculation so I don't have much to say.

My biggest fear is that this will decimate recruiting for five or six years, and I really liked the way recruiting was heading. I also think that depending on who the replacement is we may see a mass exodus of drafted payers to the NHL, AHL and ECHL. Right now I think I would prefer that Steve Rohlik stay on for at least this coming year as head coach or assistant - just for some continuity. And don't let Joe Exter get way either..

Since they took the posting down I hope they spent today sending out thank you for applying and now go away letters to Paul Pooley, Dave Smith and a few others.

I think appalled is a good word to describe the way some of us (not all) feel. I definitely have the same fears about recruiting and losing some of the current players. The timing of this couldn't be worse. Many here seem to want Rohlik to stay on. I guess that would be alright in the short term, although I think the program would be better off with someone who has been a head coach and is a proven winner rather than an assistant who is unproven as a head coach. It's tough when you fire a coach at this stage in the game, but I would like to see OSU bring in a proven winner who is willing to stick around and finish the job.

Hockeybuckeye
04-22-2013, 08:22 PM
I think appalled is a good word to describe the way some of us (not all) feel. I definitely have the same fears about recruiting and losing some of the current players. The timing of this couldn't be worse. Many here seem to want Rohlik to stay on. I guess that would be alright in the short term, although I think the program would be better off with someone who has been a head coach and is a proven winner rather than an assistant who is unproven as a head coach. It's tough when you fire a coach at this stage in the game, but I would like to see OSU bring in a proven winner who is willing to stick around and finish the job.I can guarantee any "proven winner" would be asking a LOT of questions about why this firing happened and Oz's version may already be circulating out there in the coaching circle making all give pause.
No one is going to want to pull up stakes and relocate their family here if they feel their tenure could be as precarious as their predecessor.
If the athletic department isn't in panic mode then they should be to get a new coach in here in a hurry and not just any coach but the right coach. So much more can go wrong than right at this point.

osualum86
04-22-2013, 08:56 PM
I can guarantee any "proven winner" would be asking a LOT of questions about why this firing happened and Oz's version may already be circulating out there in the coaching circle making all give pause.
No one is going to want to pull up stakes and relocate their family here if they feel their tenure could be as precarious as their predecessor.
If the athletic department isn't in panic mode then they should be to get a new coach in here in a hurry and not just any coach but the right coach. So much more can go wrong than right at this point.

Exactly, and no one could blame a potential candidate for wanting to know what happened with the previous coach! It goes without saying that the rest of the NCAA hockey world (and any potential coaching candidates) have taken notice of this knee-jerk firing, and from what I have read, OSU didn't exactly endear themselves to the rest of college hockey with this move. This was obviously not a well thought out move by the athletic department and I would guess they are in panic mode at this point as they may not have too many takers on the position based on how this was handled. I honestly haven't seen OSU botch a firing like this since, maybe, the Earle Bruce firing. This one is going to leave a mark because it will be hard to get someone to take the job and I am not convinced that the entire roster and recruits are going to remain intact just because we promoted one of Osiecki's assistants.

Hockeybuckeye
04-22-2013, 09:23 PM
If they don't get that "qualified candidate" Rohlik may become head coach by default. Again I can't say that would be a bad thing, I just don't know but I feel no matter who they get osualum86 is right, this situation will undoubtedly leave a mark!
On a side note I spent the weekend at "that school up north" and the athletic department people who I interacted with are just as puzzled about this as we are and thought we had things moving in the right direction.

Dump it In
04-22-2013, 11:23 PM
With the guys that are returning supporting Rohlik, Rohlik probably the guy who recruited most of the kids coming in. Is it a panic choice to give it to him? I don't think so. Better choices.... maybe, but really name them. Gwozdecki might work but I dont know who else I would consider a better candidate.
I think we do have things going in the right direction. There is a very strong nucleus coming back. Havent heard of anyone leaving. We just need a commitment for the "right" arena

THE OHIO STATE
04-23-2013, 01:15 AM
Just curious, how many times dd you actually talk with the coach?

ONCE and that was enough. :)

Hockeybuckeye
04-23-2013, 09:08 PM
I've been looking at a number of the write ups on the web on this story and I still can't get over several things. OSU did state there were no NCAA issues that motivated this decision so that theory of mine is out the window.
Second, OSU continuously stated it was a management issue but Oz stated there were no prior discussions with or mention by the administration that they were not pleased. Gene Smith's direct quote is "There was a difference of opinion over the management of the program that could not be resolved."
OK, so someone explain to me if there WAS NO DISCUSSION with the coach how do you know or explain it couldn't be resolved?
This whole thing is just fishy beyond belief on OSU's end! I know several posters were not Oz fans and are glad he's gone but surely you must agree the way this was done hurts us and casts the program and the university's commitment to the program in a much more negative light than the things you claim OZ was doing that you didn't like?

Puck Buck
04-23-2013, 09:21 PM
College hockey news Twitter says Rohlik is the permanent coach, will be named tomorrow

Hockeybuckeye
04-23-2013, 09:26 PM
College hockey news Twitter says Rohlik is the permanent coach, will be named tomorrowIf that's the case I hope he's up to the task and time will tell if he can get the job done, every day gone by without an announcement hurts us.
Has anything been heard by anyone on recruits trying to bail on us?

osualum86
04-23-2013, 09:42 PM
College hockey news Twitter says Rohlik is the permanent coach, will be named tomorrow

I just read that on twitter. I'll paste here.

"Source tells CHN...Steve Rohlik to be named permanent Ohio State coach tomorrow."

I doubt if anyone wanted the job after the way the Osiecki firing was handled. Now we're stuck with an assistant who has never been a head coach before so he'll be learning on the job. I'm hoping for the best. I guess we'll have some continuity, and the current group may stay. Hopefully the recruits honor their commitments. The question will be if Rohlik can manage games and make adjustments when needed. We'll see what happens. Needless to say, I'm not thrilled about this. This could set the program back if it doesn't work out.

osualum86
04-23-2013, 09:47 PM
I've been looking at a number of the write ups on the web on this story and I still can't get over several things. OSU did state there were no NCAA issues that motivated this decision so that theory of mine is out the window.
Second, OSU continuously stated it was a management issue but Oz stated there were no prior discussions with or mention by the administration that they were not pleased. Gene Smith's direct quote is "There was a difference of opinion over the management of the program that could not be resolved."
OK, so someone explain to me if there WAS NO DISCUSSION with the coach how do you know or explain it couldn't be resolved?
This whole thing is just fishy beyond belief on OSU's end! I know several posters were not Oz fans and are glad he's gone but surely you must agree the way this was done hurts us and casts the program and the university's commitment to the program in a much more negative light than the things you claim OZ was doing that you didn't like?

Couldn't agree more with your last paragraph and everything I've read indicates that this has caused OSU to be looked at in a negative light by the rest of the college hockey world.

Hockeybuckeye
04-23-2013, 09:57 PM
Well all I can say is if Steve has a winning season next fall it will certainly help push a lot of the negativity to the back of the bus. Then we can endlessly debate if it was his coaching or Oz's recruits. LOL!

klbaum1077
04-23-2013, 10:05 PM
I am ok with this move. He did most of the recruiting so he knows the incoming kids very well. I know he has never been a head coach before but neither had markell when he took over the program. Having listened to Steve talk he knows the game very well. Time will tell if this is the right guy be i like giving him the chance.

Hockeybuckeye
04-23-2013, 10:11 PM
He may work out but again, one of MANY unanswered questions, is he really their best choice or did everyone they were interested in for the job decide not to touch it with a ten foot pole?

osualum86
04-23-2013, 10:15 PM
Well all I can say is if Steve has a winning season next fall it will certainly help push a lot of the negativity to the back of the bus. Then we can endlessly debate if it was his coaching or Oz's recruits. LOL!

And yet some say Rohlik is the one who recruited these players anyway, so I guess no one will be able to use the excuse next season that "these are Oz's players and don't fit Rohlik's style." :D

I hope Rohlik does win right away. If he doesn't, Smith and Schneider are going to have egg on their faces, big time.