Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OHIO STATE. Who will be the new 2013/14 Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OHIO STATE. Who will be the new 2013/14 Head Coach?

[QUOTE=GreyGhost;5710852]
    Originally posted by osualum86 View Post

Attendance stats from USCHO for the past 10 years:
    12-13 4,004 (all season games not included - 4,656 sounds more in line for the season and historically)
    11-12 5,178
    10-11 3,829
    09-10 3,096
    08-09 4,181
    07-08 4,269
    06-07 4,818
    05-06 5,473
    04-05 6,381
    03-04 4,226
    That is correct, the 4,656 was for this season. If uscho.com has us at 4,004, they must have counted the exhibition games or maybe they counted the away games, and they probably counted the three playoff games in the OSU Ice Rink. I only counted regular season home games (did not count exhibition games), and I did not count the three tournament games in a venue that only holds 800. Just did the math. That is exactly what they did, they counted the three playoff games at the OSU Ice Rink, that's what brought the number down to 4,004. LOL, honestly, does uscho really think only 800 people would have showed up for a playoff game vs Ferris State if the games would have actually been played in the Schott? That is exactly why I did not count those games, because it skews the legitimate average attendance of an OSU hockey game at the Schott.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
      This all seems sound to me. Rohlik would keep a continuity going here and from what I've been told the players liked him better than Oz.
      I have no preference who we hire as a coach as long as he brings stability and success to the program. Even the big name coaches got their chance somewhere in building a great program in becoming that big name coach.
      However all the speculation is where the fun is, it's guy gossip and here I thought our threads would be dead until going into fall!
      Maybe Rohlik will be eventually named head coach. I hope that OSU gives him the opportunity to interview for the gig. He and Exter seem to be a great combo and it would be a shame to break-up the continuity that the team has built with an outside new head coach and new staff. Everyone on here seems to want a big named coach thinking that will magically turn around this hockey program. With someone from the outside, I believe comes another 3-4 year re-build that heading into the Big 10, I don't know that the program or fans can afford or handle. This will definately be an interesting off-season.

Something that really irritates me are people that complain about attendance in a large arena. "No one there, seems empty, not like smaller arenas". You're right, it's not. It is huge and something that is not going to change in the near future. Even if plans were laid out tomorrow for a new smaller arena, it will be at least 3 years before it is ready for its new tenant and fans. That is another 3 years of "No one there, seems empty, not like smaller arenas".

I say we find another 3,000 fans. If you all are season ticket holders, recruit your friends and bring them to every game. If you're not a STH, become one. Where else can you go on Fri and Sat night for $10 and free parking watch good hockey games? There is another team in town that has problems putting 12-14k butts in the seats for a much higher cost. Fans can effect change from the outside in, but it takes more than sitting at home and complaining.

Comment

I think it's safe to say with the B1G attendance will increase. Columbus is packed with Buckeyes and an OSU fan who isn't typically a hockey fan may come see some games as they will recognize teams such as Wisconsin and Minnesota when with the CCHA they wouldn't have a clue who Ferris or Lake Superior is or care. We do sell around 10,000 when Michigan comes to town mind you.
        Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 04-17-2013, 11:55 PM.

Comment

I think it's safe to say with the B1G attendance will increase. Columbus is packed with Buckeyes and an OSU fan who isn't typically a hockey fan may come see some games as they will recognize teams such as Wisconsin and Minnesota when with the CCHA they wouldn't have a clue who Ferris or Lake Superior is or care. We do sell around 10,000 when Michigan comes to town mind you.
          I think you are right, attendance will increase simply for the Big 10 factor and occasional fans. There needs to be some cross promotion at football games for sure. Yea, Michigan game draws attendance just because it is a football rivalrly. Our hockey rivalry has been Miami that we play at home during winter break with no students, no band, and a several chartered buses full of Miami fans!

I think that rivalry will change and become more Michigan focused in time and be able to put more butts in the seats, but we need to put more butts in the seats during the season, not just during Michigan weekend. We also need to send more fans to the Yost when we play Michigan if we wanna make it a true rivalry...not just sit at home and watch on tv or internet.

Comment

I like the idea of giving the Head Coaching job to Coach Rohlik because he knows the team & program. Give him a shorter contract to prove himself. Maybe a 3 year contract instead of a 5 year. He has some good players to get things moving forward.
            " PUT ME IN COACH. "

Comment

At this point, I almost don't care who gets the coaching gig as long as they start putting a winning, championship-caliber team on the ice. In regard to the attendance, I would love to see 3,000 more fans show up for the games. It's a tough draw because the casual fans aren't going to flock to an OSU hockey game to watch a .500 club. In regard to the arena, the reason people complain about the arena is because it loses us recruits. Recruits would rather go to schools where there is more of a commitment to hockey (translation ... hockey-only facility and better atmosphere at home games). I, personally, don't have a problem going to several home games a season at VCA and even a road game or two. I would get season tickets, but Mrs 86 and I follow a number of other teams during the winter sports season, so we just can't get to every home game. I'm just going by what I read and hear regarding why fans don't come to the games, why we aren't able to land certain recruits, and why big name coaches don't end up coming here. We'll see what happens. I've been told that the athletic department does have a plan so we'll see what unfolds. As some have mentioned, we do have a solid nucleus of guys coming back and some decent recruits coming in, provided whoever ends up coaching the team can keep them all here. It would be beneficial for the program if the athletic department gets the coaching situation wrapped up.

Comment

I thought Ohio State would have made some kind of announcement by today if they had a plan in place preceding Oz's firing so I guess it was a sudden decision after all.
                So, what's next and how long until we know?

Comment

I thought Ohio State would have made some kind of announcement by today if they had a plan in place preceding Oz's firing so I guess it was a sudden decision after all.

Tick Toc , Tick Toc ,Tick Toc!!!! LOL.
                  " PUT ME IN COACH. "

Comment

I was really hopeful that something would have been done by now. Sounds like it was in fact a knee-jerk firing by the athletic department. Hope everything works out. I did see a job posting on the OSU website, so hopefully they get some quality applicants. The timing of this is rough. If the athletic department doesn't move quickly on a new coach, they may want to just take the interim tag off Rohlik's title and see if he can get this program to the next level. The longer this instability goes on the more it is going to hurt the program. This was the last thing we needed going into the Big Ten season.

Comment

I think we all thought that surely this was part of a bigger plan and that we'd have a new coach by the end of the week. It will be interesting if any details do eventually come out about Osiecki's firing.

With no announcement and for OSU to buy-out his contract just over half-way thru, there had to be extenuating circumstances that the university felt put the entire program in dire straits. That's the only thing that I can think of that would justify this sort of action without a replacement in place. "Differences in management" just don't seem to fit that bill.

Who knows tho, there isn't any rhyme or reason to why they do a lot of the things they do. Hopefully an announcement will come shortly and this program can move forward as it needs to.

Comment

Perhaps they may have thought there was some possibility for potential rules violations and didn't want to chance Ohio State being the poster child for NCAA infraction committee again hence the sudden firing?
                        Just speculation of course but Ohio State does have a track record for firing a coach without warning because they broke NCAA rules or the university simply thought that they had and didn't wait to find out and OSU's compliance department is indeed scared sh*tless of the NCAA these days hence the knee jerk reaction!
                        Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 04-19-2013, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Just annoyed by hearing of no actions by the athletic department. I would be ok if they have it to Rawlick he does most of the recurting anyway so he knows the talent coming in better than anyone else. I think him and Exter staying would be great for the future of the program.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                            ...I did see a job posting on the OSU website, so hopefully they get some quality applicants.
                            Checked the listing you mention, and the application period closes Sunday. That being the case, this week's silence was to be expected.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                              Checked the listing you mention, and the application period closes Sunday. That being the case, this week's silence was to be expected.
                              Ok that explains it

Comment

per their tweets: who ever runs the knucklebucks account should be the next head coach. their envy of Miami (cooler younger brother) has what it takes to move the program to the next level

Comment

Working...
                                X