Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OHIO STATE. Who will be the new 2013/14 Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OHIO STATE. Who will be the new 2013/14 Head Coach?

[QUOTE=osualum86;5710673]
    Originally posted by davyd83 View Post

Not sure I understand your first paragraph as I don't know of anyone on here who wanted Osiecki fired. Most thought he was bringing in great recruiting classes and had the program moving in the right direction. I sincerely hope you're right and we're in the process of bringing in a guy like Gwozdecky, but I am skeptical about that as we have a recruiting class we need to salvage before it's too late. Seems like if Gwoz was in the works, it should have been announced already to salvage the current recruiting class, not to mention talking the current players into actually sticking around. If the athletic department has a plan, I hope it is implemented soon.
    You may want to read it again very slowly. It says, "Everybody wanted Markell canned, despite 5 trips to the NCAA including one a year before he was let go." Nothing there about Osiecki. As far as salvaging the recruiting class, it's a critical time. You know for sure that every one that's a verbal, but has not yet signed a LOI has been contacted in the last 24 hrs by another school.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
      I'm certain after some time has past and perhaps a new coaching position Oz may speak about it. I would be VERY interested in what he'd have to say.
      He may be contractually unable to say much, with regards to his buyout.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

[QUOTE=osualum86;5710673]
        Originally posted by davyd83 View Post

Not sure I understand your first paragraph as I don't know of anyone on here who wanted Osiecki fired.
        Sportsfan1 did! He's (or she) hated Oz from day 1. lol!

Comment

[QUOTE=davyd83;5710677]
          Originally posted by osualum86 View Post

You may want to read it again very slowly. It says, "Everybody wanted Markell canned, despite 5 trips to the NCAA including one a year before he was let go." Nothing there about Osiecki. As far as salvaging the recruiting class, it's a critical time. You know for sure that every one that's a verbal, but has not yet signed a LOI has been contacted in the last 24 hrs by another school.
          I read the Markell part just fine. Just wasn't sure what it had to do with the current situation as the current situation is about Mark Osiecki. Markell was given 13 or 14 seasons and his contract was not renewed. Osiecki was let go after only three seasons and hadn't even made it through his first contract period. No big deal. I agree with you 100% on the recruiting class and would be willing to bet that all their phones have been ringing off the hook with calls from other coaches. That's precisely why our athletic department needs to move swiftly on a new coach. Time is not on their side.

Comment

[QUOTE=Hockeybuckeye;5710680]
            Sportsfan1 did! He's (or she) hated Oz from day 1. lol!
            Yeah, forgive me for disincluding Sportsfan1. I don't think THE OHIO STATE is shedding any tears over this firing either! No offense, guys, we're all on the same team in this one. We all want the best for our program.

Comment

[QUOTE=osualum86;5710689]
              Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post

Yeah, forgive me for disincluding Sportsfan1. I don't think THE OHIO STATE is shedding any tears over this firing either! No offense, guys, we're all on the same team in this one. We all want the best for our program.
              I know what's best for it, get rid of Gene Smith! I can beat this horse longer and more severely than Sportsfan1 did about Oz. LOL!

Comment

Lets stop giving reasons why the world has stopped for OSU hockey.
                1) There has to be more to the story.
                2) We will probably never know why
                3) I hope we dont lose recruits but with the exception of Stepan whose cousin played at Wisconsin I would be willing to bet Steve Rohlik had more to do with these kids committing to OSU than anyone else.
                4) There is a nucleus for a very good team RIGHT NOW. Don't give them reasons that are unsubstantiated to question their position. Olson was solid this year, where we sit returning on D are Gedig, McLean, Christofoli, Da Silva, Darlymple, and Jardine. F Dzingle, Fritz, McCormick, Angeli, Johnson, Niddery, Lippincott, Oddo, Szczechura, Grecco, Lundey, Simpson, Statchuck. I think there are a lot of coaches that would like to walk into a group like this. Hope we dont lose anybody
                5) The current players on this team have tremendous respect for Rohlik, Exeter, and Layne.
                6) It would not surprise me to find out that the players support Rohlik to be their head coach, and with all due respect to Gwozdecki, and Poole I would like to see Rohlik get the opportunity. If they named him head coach right now I doubt we would lose anyone and would make it easier to keep any recruit who is having second thoughts due to the unknown.

Comment

Originally posted by Dump it In View Post
                  3) I hope we dont lose recruits but with the exception of Stepan whose cousin played at Wisconsin I would be willing to bet Steve Rohlik had more to do with these kids committing to OSU than anyone else.
                  4) There is a nucleus for a very good team RIGHT NOW. Don't give them reasons that are unsubstantiated to question their position. Olson was solid this year, where we sit returning on D are Gedig, McLean, Christofoli, Da Silva, Darlymple, and Jardine. F Dzingle, Fritz, McCormick, Angeli, Johnson, Niddery, Lippincott, Oddo, Szczechura, Grecco, Lundey, Simpson, Statchuck. I think there are a lot of coaches that would like to walk into a group like this. Hope we dont lose anybody
                  5) The current players on this team have tremendous respect for Rohlik, Exeter, and Layne.
                  6) It would not surprise me to find out that the players support Rohlik to be their head coach, and with all due respect to Gwozdecki, and Poole I would like to see Rohlik get the opportunity. If they named him head coach right now I doubt we would lose anyone and would make it easier to keep any recruit who is having second thoughts due to the unknown.
                  This all seems sound to me. Rohlik would keep a continuity going here and from what I've been told the players liked him better than Oz.
                  I have no preference who we hire as a coach as long as he brings stability and success to the program. Even the big name coaches got their chance somewhere in building a great program in becoming that big name coach.
                  However all the speculation is where the fun is, it's guy gossip and here I thought our threads would be dead until going into fall!
                  Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 04-16-2013, 11:41 PM.

Comment

What about RJ Umberger?

Comment

Originally posted by MUnRPI View Post
                      What about RJ Umberger?
                      You're making a joke, right?

Comment

[QUOTE=osualum86;5710619]
                        Originally posted by THE OHIO STATE View Post

I guess we will never know what went down that got Oz fired, but it sure has put our program in a crappy position, and it will probably take years to dig out of this. It's a sad situation.
                        I said from the start that Osiecki was not the right coach for the OSU program, and now here we are again looking for a head coach. Now everyone will start saying wait until the new coach has a chance to bring in his own recruits and the team will truly be his.I agree that Rohlik has the respect of the players and the talent to recruit good athletes to the program...but will he be here in another few months if a new head coach is hired?
                        Let's face it for whatever reason Osiecki was fired (violations or difference of opinions) it's now going to put this program on a rebuild mode again. OSU hockey will never be one of Smith's priorities until we start to put a consistent winning product on the ice and bring in 3,00 to 5,000 fans per game. OSU hockey will never be a big draw until that starts to happen, no matter what rink they play in

Comment

Well said.
                          " PUT ME IN COACH. "

Comment

[QUOTE=Sportsfan1;5710758]

I said from the start that Osiecki was not the right coach for the OSU program, and now here we are again looking for a head coach. Now everyone will start saying wait until the new coach has a chance to bring in his own recruits and the team will truly be his.I agree that Rohlik has the respect of the players and the talent to recruit good athletes to the program...but will he be here in another few months if a new head coach is hired?
                            Let's face it for whatever reason Osiecki was fired (violations or difference of opinions) it's now going to put this program on a rebuild mode again. OSU hockey will never be one of Smith's priorities until we start to put a consistent winning product on the ice and bring in 3,00 to 5,000 fans per game. OSU hockey will never be a big draw until that starts to happen, no matter what rink they play in
                            Interestingly enough, OSU mens hockey is bringing in 3,000 - 5,000 fans per game. I checked this seasons attendance figures and OSU mens hockey games averaged 4,656, making it the third-most attended sport at Ohio State, only behind football and mens basketball. Unfortunately, mens hockey doesn't get treated like the third biggest sport on campus by the athletic department. I think that is what frustrates the heck out of some of us fans.

Comment

I am all for this if Rohlik wins and gets us to the next level. It's hard to not want the university to bring in a proven guy like Gwozdecky, though, who has won National Titles, versus a guy who has never been a head coach before.

Comment

[QUOTE=osualum86;5710812]
                                Originally posted by Sportsfan1 View Post

Interestingly enough, OSU mens hockey is bringing in 3,000 - 5,000 fans per game. I checked this seasons attendance figures and OSU mens hockey games averaged 4,656, making it the third-most attended sport at Ohio State, only behind football and mens basketball. Unfortunately, mens hockey doesn't get treated like the third biggest sport on campus by the athletic department. I think that is what frustrates the heck out of some of us fans.
                                Attendance stats from USCHO for the past 10 years:
                                12-13 4,004 (all season games not included - 4,656 sounds more in line for the season and historically)
                                11-12 5,178
                                10-11 3,829
                                09-10 3,096
                                08-09 4,181
                                07-08 4,269
                                06-07 4,818
                                05-06 5,473
                                04-05 6,381
                                03-04 4,226

Comment

Working...
                                X