PDA

View Full Version : OHIO STATE. Who will be the new 2013/14 Head Coach?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Hockeybuckeye
04-16-2013, 05:42 PM
THE OHIO STATE, maybe you know something the rest of us don't, but why would Gene Smith fire Oz and keep one of his assistants? None of this makes any sense. I think there is a "Paul Harvey" to this, as in ... "And now, the rest of the story ... "Someone has to be there to at least administrate the program and to try and keep incoming recruits from wanting out of their commitments which they have a right to do if a head coach leaves. It certainly isn't Shelly's job!

Sportsfan1
04-16-2013, 06:47 PM
Someone has to be there to at least administrate the program and to try and keep incoming recruits from wanting out of their commitments which they have a right to do if a head coach leaves. It certainly isn't Shelly's job!

I think that it's probably safe to say that the incoming recruits are weighing their options as we all debate the news. Don't be surprised to see the list shorten considerably over the next few weeks.

Hockeybuckeye
04-16-2013, 07:38 PM
I think that it's probably safe to say that the incoming recruits are weighing their options as we all debate the news. Don't be surprised to see the list shorten considerably over the next few weeks.Quite possible, that's why it's insane to make such a sudden move firing Oz unless a known name is ready to be announced who will give the commitments pause to consider that they still might want to come here.
They're risking a pretty bare cupboard but it comes down to does the AD really care or give a d*mn?

THE OHIO STATE
04-16-2013, 08:06 PM
[QUOTE=osualum86;5710479

And to respond to THE OHIO STATE I don't care what Oz did or said in the meeting yesterday, you don't fire a coach when you don't have a backup plan! It's obvious they don't have a plan.

They FIRED Coach OZ because he must of did something MAJOR stupid & broke a rule. I'm sure there plan wasn't to do it because I'm sure the AD's would of did it right after the season & not wait a few weeks after. All I know is he didn't respect some of his staff & players. What he did as a MAJOR to get him fired is the big question. You don't fire someone unless you have to. :eek:

osualum86
04-16-2013, 08:40 PM
[QUOTE=osualum86;5710479

And to respond to THE OHIO STATE I don't care what Oz did or said in the meeting yesterday, you don't fire a coach when you don't have a backup plan! It's obvious they don't have a plan.

They FIRED Coach OZ because he must of did something MAJOR stupid & broke a rule. I'm sure there plan wasn't to do it because I'm sure the AD's would of did it right after the season & not wait a few weeks after. All I know is he didn't respect some of his staff & players. What he did as a MAJOR to get him fired is the big question. You don't fire someone unless you have to. :eek:

I guess we will never know what went down that got Oz fired, but it sure has put our program in a crappy position, and it will probably take years to dig out of this. It's a sad situation.

davyd83
04-16-2013, 09:22 PM
[QUOTE=THE OHIO STATE;5710597]

I guess we will never know what went down that got Oz fired, but it sure has put our program in a crappy position, and it will probably take years to dig out of this. It's a sad situation.

Everybody wanted Markell canned, despite 5 trips to the NCAA including one a year before he was let go. Be careful what you wish for.

That being said, I will agree with those.who theorize that there's a lot more here than meets the eye. It could be that Gwozdecky is more open to OSU now, or it could be something that may be a part of a non-disclosure agreement.

4four4
04-16-2013, 09:54 PM
[QUOTE=THE OHIO STATE;5710597]

Sadly, they will be in the cellar for years to come or at least tied with PSU.

Hockeybuckeye
04-16-2013, 10:01 PM
I'm certain after some time has past and perhaps a new coaching position Oz may speak about it. I would be VERY interested in what he'd have to say.

osualum86
04-16-2013, 10:02 PM
[QUOTE=osualum86;5710619]

Everybody wanted Markell canned, despite 5 trips to the NCAA including one a year before he was let go. Be careful what you wish for.

That being said, I will agree with those.who theorize that there's a lot more here than meets the eye. It could be that Gwozdecky is more open to OSU now, or it could be something that may be a part of a non-disclosure agreement.

Not sure I understand your first paragraph as I don't know of anyone on here who wanted Osiecki fired. Most thought he was bringing in great recruiting classes and had the program moving in the right direction. I sincerely hope you're right and we're in the process of bringing in a guy like Gwozdecky, but I am skeptical about that as we have a recruiting class we need to salvage before it's too late. Seems like if Gwoz was in the works, it should have been announced already to salvage the current recruiting class, not to mention talking the current players into actually sticking around. If the athletic department has a plan, I hope it is implemented soon.

osualum86
04-16-2013, 10:04 PM
I'm certain after some time has past and perhaps a new coaching position Oz may speak about it. I would be VERY interested in what he'd have to say.

I would also be very interested in what Oz has to say about this.

davyd83
04-16-2013, 10:08 PM
[QUOTE=davyd83;5710644]

Not sure I understand your first paragraph as I don't know of anyone on here who wanted Osiecki fired. Most thought he was bringing in great recruiting classes and had the program moving in the right direction. I sincerely hope you're right and we're in the process of bringing in a guy like Gwozdecky, but I am skeptical about that as we have a recruiting class we need to salvage before it's too late. Seems like if Gwoz was in the works, it should have been announced already to salvage the current recruiting class, not to mention talking the current players into actually sticking around. If the athletic department has a plan, I hope it is implemented soon.

You may want to read it again very slowly. It says, "Everybody wanted Markell canned, despite 5 trips to the NCAA including one a year before he was let go." Nothing there about Osiecki. As far as salvaging the recruiting class, it's a critical time. You know for sure that every one that's a verbal, but has not yet signed a LOI has been contacted in the last 24 hrs by another school.

davyd83
04-16-2013, 10:09 PM
I'm certain after some time has past and perhaps a new coaching position Oz may speak about it. I would be VERY interested in what he'd have to say.He may be contractually unable to say much, with regards to his buyout.

Hockeybuckeye
04-16-2013, 10:12 PM
[QUOTE=davyd83;5710644]

Not sure I understand your first paragraph as I don't know of anyone on here who wanted Osiecki fired.Sportsfan1 did! He's (or she) hated Oz from day 1. lol!

osualum86
04-16-2013, 10:19 PM
[QUOTE=osualum86;5710673]

You may want to read it again very slowly. It says, "Everybody wanted Markell canned, despite 5 trips to the NCAA including one a year before he was let go." Nothing there about Osiecki. As far as salvaging the recruiting class, it's a critical time. You know for sure that every one that's a verbal, but has not yet signed a LOI has been contacted in the last 24 hrs by another school.

I read the Markell part just fine. Just wasn't sure what it had to do with the current situation as the current situation is about Mark Osiecki. Markell was given 13 or 14 seasons and his contract was not renewed. Osiecki was let go after only three seasons and hadn't even made it through his first contract period. No big deal. I agree with you 100% on the recruiting class and would be willing to bet that all their phones have been ringing off the hook with calls from other coaches. That's precisely why our athletic department needs to move swiftly on a new coach. Time is not on their side.

osualum86
04-16-2013, 10:22 PM
[QUOTE=osualum86;5710673]Sportsfan1 did! He's (or she) hated Oz from day 1. lol!

Yeah, forgive me for disincluding Sportsfan1. I don't think THE OHIO STATE is shedding any tears over this firing either! No offense, guys, we're all on the same team in this one. We all want the best for our program.

Hockeybuckeye
04-16-2013, 10:25 PM
[QUOTE=Hockeybuckeye;5710680]

Yeah, forgive me for disincluding Sportsfan1. I don't think THE OHIO STATE is shedding any tears over this firing either! No offense, guys, we're all on the same team in this one. We all want the best for our program.I know what's best for it, get rid of Gene Smith! I can beat this horse longer and more severely than Sportsfan1 did about Oz. LOL!

Dump it In
04-16-2013, 11:21 PM
Lets stop giving reasons why the world has stopped for OSU hockey.
1) There has to be more to the story.
2) We will probably never know why
3) I hope we dont lose recruits but with the exception of Stepan whose cousin played at Wisconsin I would be willing to bet Steve Rohlik had more to do with these kids committing to OSU than anyone else.
4) There is a nucleus for a very good team RIGHT NOW. Don't give them reasons that are unsubstantiated to question their position. Olson was solid this year, where we sit returning on D are Gedig, McLean, Christofoli, Da Silva, Darlymple, and Jardine. F Dzingle, Fritz, McCormick, Angeli, Johnson, Niddery, Lippincott, Oddo, Szczechura, Grecco, Lundey, Simpson, Statchuck. I think there are a lot of coaches that would like to walk into a group like this. Hope we dont lose anybody
5) The current players on this team have tremendous respect for Rohlik, Exeter, and Layne.
6) It would not surprise me to find out that the players support Rohlik to be their head coach, and with all due respect to Gwozdecki, and Poole I would like to see Rohlik get the opportunity. If they named him head coach right now I doubt we would lose anyone and would make it easier to keep any recruit who is having second thoughts due to the unknown.

Hockeybuckeye
04-16-2013, 11:32 PM
Lets stop giving reasons why the world has stopped for OSU hockey.
1) There has to be more to the story.
2) We will probably never know why
3) I hope we dont lose recruits but with the exception of Stepan whose cousin played at Wisconsin I would be willing to bet Steve Rohlik had more to do with these kids committing to OSU than anyone else.
4) There is a nucleus for a very good team RIGHT NOW. Don't give them reasons that are unsubstantiated to question their position. Olson was solid this year, where we sit returning on D are Gedig, McLean, Christofoli, Da Silva, Darlymple, and Jardine. F Dzingle, Fritz, McCormick, Angeli, Johnson, Niddery, Lippincott, Oddo, Szczechura, Grecco, Lundey, Simpson, Statchuck. I think there are a lot of coaches that would like to walk into a group like this. Hope we dont lose anybody
5) The current players on this team have tremendous respect for Rohlik, Exeter, and Layne.
6) It would not surprise me to find out that the players support Rohlik to be their head coach, and with all due respect to Gwozdecki, and Poole I would like to see Rohlik get the opportunity. If they named him head coach right now I doubt we would lose anyone and would make it easier to keep any recruit who is having second thoughts due to the unknown.This all seems sound to me. Rohlik would keep a continuity going here and from what I've been told the players liked him better than Oz.
I have no preference who we hire as a coach as long as he brings stability and success to the program. Even the big name coaches got their chance somewhere in building a great program in becoming that big name coach.
However all the speculation is where the fun is, it's guy gossip and here I thought our threads would be dead until going into fall!

MUnRPI
04-16-2013, 11:52 PM
What about RJ Umberger?

Hockeybuckeye
04-17-2013, 06:07 AM
What about RJ Umberger?You're making a joke, right?