Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OHIO STATE. Who will be the new 2013/14 Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OHIO STATE. Who will be the new 2013/14 Head Coach?

Impossible to speculate until we know what "difference of opinion over the management of the program" means.

Comment

Tim Whitehead :P

Comment

Gwoz makes more money not working next season than he would working. He has a higher vision of himself in the hockey world than just that of a head coach. He had complete autonomy at Denver to the point of being a defacto GM. I don't see Gwoz settling for anything less than a AHL head coaching job. NHL, KHL or AHL is his next destination imho (not that I couldn't be wrong).

As for OSU ... I'm happy to be a UAA fan. No offense, but a school that size with that little administrative support for the 3rd biggest sport? Got to be maddening for you fans.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
          Gwoz makes more money not working next season than he would working. He has a higher vision of himself in the hockey world than just that of a head coach. He had complete autonomy at Denver to the point of being a defacto GM. I don't see Gwoz settling for anything less than a AHL head coaching job. NHL, KHL or AHL is his next destination imho (not that I couldn't be wrong).

As for OSU ... I'm happy to be a UAA fan. No offense, but a school that size with that little administrative support for the 3rd biggest sport? Got to be maddening for you fans.
          I have said from the beginning that I didn't think we would get Gwoz. And yes, it is extremely maddening for us fans!

And to respond to THE OHIO STATE I don't care what Oz did or said in the meeting yesterday, you don't fire a coach when you don't have a backup plan! It's obvious they don't have a plan. The "big announcement" today was that Steve Rohlik was made the interim head coach. Are you kidding me?!? We fired a guy who obviously had the program going in the right direction, then we promote one of his assistants?!? Smith and Schneider are complete idiots when it comes to overseeing our hockey program, that is, unless the goal is to bury our hockey program, which they are doing an exemplary job at that!

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
            I have said from the beginning that I didn't think we would get Gwoz. And yes, it is extremely maddening for us fans!

And to respond to THE OHIO STATE I don't care what Oz did or said in the meeting yesterday, you don't fire a coach when you don't have a backup plan! It's obvious they don't have a plan. The "big announcement" today was that Steve Rohlik was made the interim head coach. Are you kidding me?!? We fired a guy who obviously had the program going in the right direction, then we promote one of his assistants?!? Smith and Schneider are complete idiots when it comes to overseeing our hockey program, that is, unless the goal is to bury our hockey program, which they are doing an exemplary job at that!
            This sounds familiar....

Comment

THE OHIO STATE, maybe you know something the rest of us don't, but why would Gene Smith fire Oz and keep one of his assistants? None of this makes any sense. I think there is a "Paul Harvey" to this, as in ... "And now, the rest of the story ... "
              Someone has to be there to at least administrate the program and to try and keep incoming recruits from wanting out of their commitments which they have a right to do if a head coach leaves. It certainly isn't Shelly's job!

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                Someone has to be there to at least administrate the program and to try and keep incoming recruits from wanting out of their commitments which they have a right to do if a head coach leaves. It certainly isn't Shelly's job!
                I think that it's probably safe to say that the incoming recruits are weighing their options as we all debate the news. Don't be surprised to see the list shorten considerably over the next few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsfan1 View Post
                  I think that it's probably safe to say that the incoming recruits are weighing their options as we all debate the news. Don't be surprised to see the list shorten considerably over the next few weeks.
                  Quite possible, that's why it's insane to make such a sudden move firing Oz unless a known name is ready to be announced who will give the commitments pause to consider that they still might want to come here.
                  They're risking a pretty bare cupboard but it comes down to does the AD really care or give a d*mn?

Comment

[QUOTE=osualum86;5710479

And to respond to THE OHIO STATE I don't care what Oz did or said in the meeting yesterday, you don't fire a coach when you don't have a backup plan! It's obvious they don't have a plan.

They FIRED Coach OZ because he must of did something MAJOR stupid & broke a rule. I'm sure there plan wasn't to do it because I'm sure the AD's would of did it right after the season & not wait a few weeks after. All I know is he didn't respect some of his staff & players. What he did as a MAJOR to get him fired is the big question. You don't fire someone unless you have to.
                    " PUT ME IN COACH. "

Comment

[QUOTE=THE OHIO STATE;5710597][QUOTE=osualum86;5710479

And to respond to THE OHIO STATE I don't care what Oz did or said in the meeting yesterday, you don't fire a coach when you don't have a backup plan! It's obvious they don't have a plan.

They FIRED Coach OZ because he must of did something MAJOR stupid & broke a rule. I'm sure there plan wasn't to do it because I'm sure the AD's would of did it right after the season & not wait a few weeks after. All I know is he didn't respect some of his staff & players. What he did as a MAJOR to get him fired is the big question. You don't fire someone unless you have to. [/QUOTE]

I guess we will never know what went down that got Oz fired, but it sure has put our program in a crappy position, and it will probably take years to dig out of this. It's a sad situation.

Comment

[QUOTE=osualum86;5710619]
                        Originally posted by THE OHIO STATE View Post

I guess we will never know what went down that got Oz fired, but it sure has put our program in a crappy position, and it will probably take years to dig out of this. It's a sad situation.
                        Everybody wanted Markell canned, despite 5 trips to the NCAA including one a year before he was let go. Be careful what you wish for.

That being said, I will agree with those.who theorize that there's a lot more here than meets the eye. It could be that Gwozdecky is more open to OSU now, or it could be something that may be a part of a non-disclosure agreement.
                        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

[QUOTE=osualum86;5710619]
                          Originally posted by THE OHIO STATE View Post

Sadly, they will be in the cellar for years to come or at least tied with PSU.
                          Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                          dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                          wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

I'm certain after some time has past and perhaps a new coaching position Oz may speak about it. I would be VERY interested in what he'd have to say.

Comment

[QUOTE=davyd83;5710644]

Everybody wanted Markell canned, despite 5 trips to the NCAA including one a year before he was let go. Be careful what you wish for.

That being said, I will agree with those.who theorize that there's a lot more here than meets the eye. It could be that Gwozdecky is more open to OSU now, or it could be something that may be a part of a non-disclosure agreement.
                              Not sure I understand your first paragraph as I don't know of anyone on here who wanted Osiecki fired. Most thought he was bringing in great recruiting classes and had the program moving in the right direction. I sincerely hope you're right and we're in the process of bringing in a guy like Gwozdecky, but I am skeptical about that as we have a recruiting class we need to salvage before it's too late. Seems like if Gwoz was in the works, it should have been announced already to salvage the current recruiting class, not to mention talking the current players into actually sticking around. If the athletic department has a plan, I hope it is implemented soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                                I'm certain after some time has past and perhaps a new coaching position Oz may speak about it. I would be VERY interested in what he'd have to say.
                                I would also be very interested in what Oz has to say about this.

Comment

Working...
                                X