Rule Change Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rule Change Ideas

1) Get rid of the ridiculous situation that occurs when the officials and linesmen try to shepherd the offending icing/clearance team from making a change. The officials should take jersey numbers, head to the face-off spot, and if there are any new players on the ice from the offending team when the face-off is to be taken, award a 2-minute Delay of Game minor.

2) Game DQs for contact to the head, boarding, etc. should be reviewed, just like the NBA with flagrant fouls. It seems that there are too many false positives and false negatives, even with four zebras. Unlike the NHL, there just aren't enough games in our season to give game DQs unnecessarily. And, again unlike the NHL, our guys aren't being paid and need to be protected. Let's help the officials and give a little video support.

(Add a 5-minute major for "Too solid of a clean hit to the chest of the puck carrier". Seems this rule has been a point of emphasis nationwide in the last 45 days.)
    Anthem singers should not be American idol wannabes. - Dubbie31

Re: Rule Change Ideas

Originally posted by goalie heckler View Post
    1) Get rid of the ridiculous situation that occurs when the officials and linesmen try to shepherd the offending icing/clearance team from making a change. The officials should take jersey numbers, head to the face-off spot, and if there are any new players on the ice from the offending team when the face-off is to be taken, award a 2-minute Delay of Game minor.
    This seems like a less efficient way of doing things. Is one of them going to skate around with a pen and paper always at the ready?

If you mean take down jersey numbers in their heads, that's exactly what they do.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
      If you mean take down jersey numbers in their heads, that's exactly what they do.
      Then they skate to the bench and argue away. It's embarrassing. Just head to the face off spot and call a Delay of Game when a new player shows up.
      Anthem singers should not be American idol wannabes. - Dubbie31

Comment

Ban shootouts.
        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
          Ban shootouts.
          All my wins. Right there. I'd rather have every team in every league/conference/level play the "oh so dreaded trap" than have shootouts.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Ban shootouts.
            Please help us voice this to the Big Ten.

Comment

Then they skate to the bench and argue away. It's embarrassing. Just head to the face off spot and call a Delay of Game when a new player shows up.
              I think the thrust of the argument is just increase the number of delay of game calls for this, that would likely remedy the problem pretty quick when teams start getting called for it. I'd be for it since there's so much time wasted with these ridiculous arguments.
              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                I think the thrust of the argument is just increase the number of delay of game calls for this, that would likely remedy the problem pretty quick when teams start getting called for it. I'd be for it since there's so much time wasted with these ridiculous arguments.
                Usually they throw the guy out of the faceoff for that.

Comment

Not necessarily a rule change, but how about enforcing the penalty shot when the net is dislodged wtih less than 2 minutes to play or in overtime?

Comment

Remove the full cages

Comment

It would only take a couple of penalties at the beginning of the year and the problem would go away.

During the WISCO-UML tournament game the differences between the teams was shocking. Every icing by UML the trying to switch situation came up, officials would have to go to the bench to sort it out. I don't recall it coming up once with WISCO. The contrast was surprising.

The "trying" to change is as much to give the guys on the ice a short blow as trying to sneak players on the ice. There are a few situation where it is "honest" but most of the time it is a delay of game tactic. From a fan perspective very annoying.

I even saw a team put a wing in the faceoff so when he was (predictably) thrown out the center took the draw.

Tell coaches to start the year it is going to be called. Somebody will push it early and a couple delay of game penalties and the problem will be gone.
                      "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

I think college hockey should allow tackling.

Comment

Ban shootouts.
                          I like the idea of having the shootout before the game.
                          Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                          Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
                            I think college hockey should allow tackling.
                            WCHA refs agree.
                            Originally posted by SJHovey
                            Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                            Originally posted by Brenthoven
                            We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                              WCHA refs agree.
                              Well, they agree when Yale does it.

(They were the better team anyways but that's not the point)
                              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                              Skating Friar Jersey
                              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Working...
                              X