Attendance at Pittsburgh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Attendance at Pittsburgh

At least the national championship game looked very full from television. I was going to be very concerned about this host if it didn't look full. I guess those corpies showed up for the championship game.

Any thoughts from those that Made the trip? How was it and should we do it again?
    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Being from just down the road in Ohio I have to say that much of the derogatory remarks about Pittsburgh and this event are unfounded !!! Must be from people who did not attend as this was a great, well run event and Pittsburgh is to be commended!!!! Paid attendance figures as stated are correct and are not scanned figures, but my personal experience was in no way diminished by the fact that there were no-shows!!!! What a wonderful time we had!!!! From the local eateries to the Fan Fest to the game atmospheres it was an outstanding event!!!! And if it was anywhere else besides Filthadelphia next year I would do it again!!!!! Lol!!!!!
      What is behind me is of no importance !!!!!!!

Comment

Saturday night there were about five to ten rows of an entire section in the lower bowl, empty. Looked horrible. Eventually it filled to maybe 40 percent capacity by the 2nd period but that was it.

Anyone have the scoop on this? Maybe a whole busload that got sidetracked?

Comment

I was there and the attendance was fine. Sure it didn't sell out but I don't think last years did either. Yale and QU both had solid crowds and it was nice to see QU had a boatload of students.(as opposed to most schools giving tix to donors) There appeared to be a lot of local fans. They booed every time Philly was mentioned and the Yale kid Root brought big applause every time he was mentioned. Sure, no big "name" school was there and the secondary tix market was weak , but as a hockey fan it was fun. Biggest disappointment was that Primanti place. No wonder they include the fries and slaw in the sandwiches. They have almost no meat in them! Being from NY, we thought their Pastrami sandwich was very weak.
          Last edited by scoreboard; 04-14-2013, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Only problem I had w Pittsburgh as a host was the iffy transit options in town... Namely cabs.

However, for a city that doesn't have regular tourism I could see that they only need a fleet of their size during the rest of the time... Market doesn't likely support it.

I'd have no problem returning to Pittsburgh
            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
            Skating Friar Jersey
            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Hopefully people had a chance to go down near the strip district to the Prmani Brother to have a #2. One the best sandwiches you'll have ever IMHO.

Now, I think what I just meant to say was...

Yinz needa go don ton an getcha a prmani's sammich on the strip. Bedder 'nat jumbo from gian'egl.

Hopefully someone got that burgese.

Comment

Originally posted by ubu View Post
                Saturday night there were about five to ten rows of an entire section in the lower bowl, empty. Looked horrible. Eventually it filled to maybe 40 percent capacity by the 2nd period but that was it.

Anyone have the scoop on this? Maybe a whole busload that got sidetracked?
                Sections 111 and 113 were club seats held by corporate sponsors. I tweeted a picture in the first period showing the dismal attendance. 112 was pretty full as were the club seats on my side of the building. The rest of the arena was packed.

Once the first night mixups were behind me I thought Pittsburgh was a fine host. I had no problem with the bus system and liked the fact that almost every hotel had a free shuttle to transport you. VisitPittsburgh did a great job.
                Oh, I did mention the corporate seat problem to the reps from Philly but they told me they were just there representing the city and had no say in how the Wells Fargo Center handled tickets.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                  Hopefully people had a chance to go down near the strip district to the Prmani Brother to have a #2. One the best sandwiches you'll have ever IMHO.

Now, I think what I just meant to say was...

Yinz needa go don ton an getcha a prmani's sammich on the strip. Bedder 'nat jumbo from gian'egl.

Hopefully someone got that burgese.
                  I am still full from the sammich on Friday.
                  Providence College
                  National Champions

Save the Fighting Sioux!!

Comment

This was my first Frozen Four but I thought attendance was fine, especially Saturday. Then again, I endured the ECAC's in Atlantic City so a dozen fans in Pittsburgh would have impressed me.
                    Quinnipiac Bobcats
                    2023 National Champions
                    ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                    ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                    East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
                    Northeast Regional:
                    West Regional: 2015, 2021
                    Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                    Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Netman View Post
                      I am still full from the sammich on Friday.
                      Good stuff, hopefully nobody got called a jagoff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61p30ZdnXGI

Comment

I hated seeing those empty seats on Thursday. I would of loved to sit there instead of the corner. Oh well. I saw on the scoreboard something about going to ncaa.com and clicking on "your opinion counts". I plan on going there and starting our frustration with the corporate seats.

My only other complaint about Pittsburgh was how hard it was to find and buy a twelve pack for the hotel room. Very hard to find a store that sold beer, and when you find one there were other rules to follow.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                          Good stuff, hopefully nobody got called a jagoff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61p30ZdnXGI

Not to add too much more, but it is worth it if you got the time(whole series needs taken in if you got the time):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAqz3guMtNw

Also, hoped people got to go to the lookout up on top of Mt. Washington. A favorite of mine, with my honey, with a glass of oak'y merlot - Rodney strong does the trick.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirt View Post
                            I hated seeing those empty seats on Thursday. I would of loved to sit there instead of the corner. Oh well. I saw on the scoreboard something about going to ncaa.com and clicking on "your opinion counts". I plan on going there and starting our frustration with the corporate seats.

My only other complaint about Pittsburgh was how hard it was to find and buy a twelve pack for the hotel room. Very hard to find a store that sold beer, and when you find one there were other rules to follow.
                            Go to a bar. You can drink and have a good time. Then tell them you want a six pack of yuengling to go. Easy as hell and also on the order of absurd. But the rules, and the thinking is, you've been a great time all night... go ahead and take a sixer to go home with.

Or you can stop at the drive through to get your alcohol. They make it tough to find, but when you find one... it's like mcdonalds, where you better know what you want and they'll load you up - you have to pop the trunk now. But they'll load you up with as much as you want.

Strange place, but I love it. And there is something about the place that seems like home.

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                              Only problem I had w Pittsburgh as a host was the iffy transit options in town... Namely cabs.

However, for a city that doesn't have regular tourism I could see that they only need a fleet of their size during the rest of the time... Market doesn't likely support it.

I'd have no problem returning to Pittsburgh
                              In our case, one of the best features was the hotel shuttle that would drop us off anywhere in a three mile radius and, then when we were ready, we called and they would pick us up. No need for mass transit, no need to drive and more than a few watering holes.

We even went to Church.

Comment

Originally posted by The Freds View Post
                                In our case, one of the best features was the hotel shuttle that would drop us off anywhere in a three mile radius and, then when we were ready, we called and they would pick us up. No need for mass transit, no need to drive and more than a few watering holes.

We even went to Church.
                                I heard about this Church bar, but never made it. Heard it was pretty sweet.

Comment

Working...
                                X