Attendance at Pittsburgh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Attendance at Pittsburgh

Didn't offer ANY tickets to Pens season ticket holders? Who in the world came up with that bright idea? If you're trying to draw some of the local market, wouldn't it be best to offer them to those who are (supposedly) the most ardent fans of the sport?

Also, it didn't help the TV angle that all of the Lowell fans left after game one, and there were loads of empty seats in plain view of the camera. Sure, they lost, but they also did the same thing in the HE semifinal after they beat PC, mass exodus before the BU-BC semi that left a large chunk of seats open. That one puzzled me...you've already paid for your ticket, you've won your game and now get to see who you'll play in the final, and it's a huge rivalry game, why leave?
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

From what I saw, the building may not have been full, but very good representation from all three eastern teams. It's the neutrals who have stayed away. We all knew this group of four would result in a soft ticket so
      nobody should be surprised by this. Overall attendance at these things has been great over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
        Didn't offer ANY tickets to Pens season ticket holders? Who in the world came up with that bright idea? If you're trying to draw some of the local market, wouldn't it be best to offer them to those who are (supposedly) the most ardent fans of the sport?

Also, it didn't help the TV angle that all of the Lowell fans left after game one, and there were loads of empty seats in plain view of the camera. Sure, they lost, but they also did the same thing in the HE semifinal after they beat PC, mass exodus before the BU-BC semi that left a large chunk of seats open. That one puzzled me...you've already paid for your ticket, you've won your game and now get to see who you'll play in the final, and it's a huge rivalry game, why leave?
        Unfortunately at both the HE semi final and the Yale game, the student buses were scheduled to leave immediately after the game and that's what happened. The students had no choice but to leave, at least those that came on the buses. I thought it was odd also but that was the deal for those who came on the student buses.
        Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
        Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
        Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
          There was also a doorman in front of the Fairmont hotel that spent several minutes explaining various sights to see and where all the best food was (his ultimate suggestion being Primanti's).
          You know you're in Pittsburgh when a doorman recommends the steelworkers' lunch joint to tourists.

Anyone who says there's nothing to do in Pittsburgh isn't trying hard enough. Anyone with even a modicum of interest in baseball owes it to themselves to walk across the Clemente bridge and see a game at PNC Park. There's a museum for just about any interest, most of them with "Carnegie" in their names. Or hell, fork over $3.50 for the trip up the incline, or hang around Station Square.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
            Watching it on TV I had a similar impression. At first I thought nobody was there because the corporate stiff seats were empty behind the bench, but once the camera scanned the whole crowd I was pleasantly surprised.

Look, the event is hampered by 1) upsets galore so a lot of people who were expecting to go most likely bagged it, 2) being held in a boring city, and 3) the teams that did make it don't have huge fan bases and aren't nearby (although perhaps the drive from CT isn't that bad. I do know going across NY or PA seems longer than it is as there's nothing in the middle of both states).

Back in 09 when I went I could see a good attendance happening even though there were relatively small schools aside from BU there because DC was an interesting place to go and you probably made the trip even if your school didn't make it. Pittsburgh and to a greater extent Philly (which is a sh ! thole) are a bigger test of whether the event can draw no matter what. Personally I think it can.
            Philly is a great city with lots to do and see. I'm not sure I know what you are talking about and I'm not sure you do either.
            Frozen Fours: '86, '88, '90, '91, '92, '93, '95, '96, '98, '00, '01, '03, '04, '05, '09, '14, '15

Walter Brown, Agganis, Boston Garden-old/new, Matthews, McHugh, Kelly Rink, Bright, Tsongas, Lawler, Schneider, Providence CC, Alfond, Tully, Portland CC, Centrum, Whittemore, Snively, Hobey Baker Rink, Lynah, MSG, Gutterson, Houston Field House, Ingalls, Smith rink, Davis Rink, Pepsi Center, Bradley Center, St. Paul CC, Fenway, Mullins, Verizon, Joe Louis, HSBC, Nationwide, Messa, Perrotti.

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
              You know you're in Pittsburgh when a doorman recommends the steelworkers' lunch joint to tourists.

Anyone who says there's nothing to do in Pittsburgh isn't trying hard enough. Anyone with even a modicum of interest in baseball owes it to themselves to walk across the Clemente bridge and see a game at PNC Park. There's a museum for just about any interest, most of them with "Carnegie" in their names. Or hell, fork over $3.50 for the trip up the incline, or hang around Station Square.

Powers &8^]
              Completely agree. This is not your father's Pittsburgh.
              Frozen Fours: '86, '88, '90, '91, '92, '93, '95, '96, '98, '00, '01, '03, '04, '05, '09, '14, '15

Walter Brown, Agganis, Boston Garden-old/new, Matthews, McHugh, Kelly Rink, Bright, Tsongas, Lawler, Schneider, Providence CC, Alfond, Tully, Portland CC, Centrum, Whittemore, Snively, Hobey Baker Rink, Lynah, MSG, Gutterson, Houston Field House, Ingalls, Smith rink, Davis Rink, Pepsi Center, Bradley Center, St. Paul CC, Fenway, Mullins, Verizon, Joe Louis, HSBC, Nationwide, Messa, Perrotti.

Comment

On the attendance issue, I'm not sure what kind of numbers were affected but heard that many people who were flying never made it to town on time Thursday due to weather delays and cancellations around the country. One couple we were talking to didn't arrive until Friday morning.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the weekend thus far and have been more than impressed by my first Frozen Four, in and out of the arena.
                Man, that sucks. At least the final had some atmosphere, which was lacking on Thursday night....at least as far as what came across on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by PcFriars13 View Post
                  Did the PC jersey make it this year? I remember it was AWOL a few years ago.
                  The PC jersey only missed that one time.

Comment

Good crowd tonight. Some parts of rows vacant, but no large empty blocks, even in the St. Cloud, UML, and NCAA sections. Well done Cinderella fans, UML and St. Cloud fans, neutrals and locals.

Comment

As far as tickets sold, though the championship game got pretty close, neither of the three games sold out.

17,428 for the national semifinals and 18,184 for the championship game. Consol Energy Center seats 18,387.

If I'm not mistaken, that's two years in a row now. I'm a bit concerned.
                      Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
                      66 - 86 - 07
                      59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
                      59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

I was freaking flipping out to go but couldn't find anyone to carpool with me!

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
                          As far as tickets sold, though the championship game got pretty close, neither of the three games sold out.

17,428 for the national semifinals and 18,184 for the championship game. Consol Energy Center seats 18,387.

If I'm not mistaken, that's two years in a row now. I'm a bit concerned.
                          Those numbers considering the four schools involved? Honestly, doesn't concern me at all.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                            Those numbers considering the four schools involved? Honestly, doesn't concern me at all.
                            Agreed. You know that Yale fans for the most part can simply afford to hop a flight and pay whatever to get a ticket on late notice if their team made the final. And (at least it looked that way on TV) 3/4 of the building was cheering for Yale. So that probably saved the gate, because if they're not there, can't imagine a game with St. Cloud or Lowell is going to draw 18,000.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                              Agreed. You know that Yale fans for the most part can simply afford to hop a flight and pay whatever to get a ticket on late notice if their team made the final. And (at least it looked that way on TV) 3/4 of the building was cheering for Yale. So that probably saved the gate, because if they're not there, can't imagine a game with St. Cloud or Lowell is going to draw 18,000.
                              You clearly weren't there. We had more than Yale on Thursday. We still had a good number despite being bounced. We did our job.
                              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                              Skating Friar Jersey
                              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

As I said before, all three eastern schools were well represented. That wasn't the issue (and I'm not blaming St. Cloud). With these four teams, outside their fans, it was always gonna be a soft ticket.

Comment

Working...
                                X