PDA

View Full Version : Attendance at Pittsburgh

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Biddco
04-14-2013, 02:57 PM
At least the national championship game looked very full from television. I was going to be very concerned about this host if it didn't look full. I guess those corpies showed up for the championship game.

Any thoughts from those that Made the trip? How was it and should we do it again?

JeffShriver
04-14-2013, 03:40 PM
Being from just down the road in Ohio I have to say that much of the derogatory remarks about Pittsburgh and this event are unfounded !!! Must be from people who did not attend as this was a great, well run event and Pittsburgh is to be commended!!!! Paid attendance figures as stated are correct and are not scanned figures, but my personal experience was in no way diminished by the fact that there were no-shows!!!! What a wonderful time we had!!!! From the local eateries to the Fan Fest to the game atmospheres it was an outstanding event!!!! And if it was anywhere else besides Filthadelphia next year I would do it again!!!!! Lol!!!!!

ubu
04-14-2013, 03:55 PM
Saturday night there were about five to ten rows of an entire section in the lower bowl, empty. Looked horrible. Eventually it filled to maybe 40 percent capacity by the 2nd period but that was it.

Anyone have the scoop on this? Maybe a whole busload that got sidetracked?

scoreboard
04-14-2013, 04:50 PM
I was there and the attendance was fine. Sure it didn't sell out but I don't think last years did either. Yale and QU both had solid crowds and it was nice to see QU had a boatload of students.(as opposed to most schools giving tix to donors) There appeared to be a lot of local fans. They booed every time Philly was mentioned and the Yale kid Root brought big applause every time he was mentioned. Sure, no big "name" school was there and the secondary tix market was weak , but as a hockey fan it was fun. Biggest disappointment was that Primanti place. No wonder they include the fries and slaw in the sandwiches. They have almost no meat in them! Being from NY, we thought their Pastrami sandwich was very weak.

Patman
04-14-2013, 05:03 PM
Only problem I had w Pittsburgh as a host was the iffy transit options in town... Namely cabs.

However, for a city that doesn't have regular tourism I could see that they only need a fleet of their size during the rest of the time... Market doesn't likely support it.

I'd have no problem returning to Pittsburgh

BlackI
04-14-2013, 05:15 PM
Hopefully people had a chance to go down near the strip district to the Prmani Brother to have a #2. One the best sandwiches you'll have ever IMHO.

Now, I think what I just meant to say was...

Yinz needa go don ton an getcha a prmani's sammich on the strip. Bedder 'nat jumbo from gian'egl.

Hopefully someone got that burgese. :D

Priceless
04-14-2013, 05:33 PM
Saturday night there were about five to ten rows of an entire section in the lower bowl, empty. Looked horrible. Eventually it filled to maybe 40 percent capacity by the 2nd period but that was it.

Anyone have the scoop on this? Maybe a whole busload that got sidetracked?

Sections 111 and 113 were club seats held by corporate sponsors. I tweeted a picture in the first period showing the dismal attendance. 112 was pretty full as were the club seats on my side of the building. The rest of the arena was packed.

Once the first night mixups were behind me I thought Pittsburgh was a fine host. I had no problem with the bus system and liked the fact that almost every hotel had a free shuttle to transport you. VisitPittsburgh did a great job.
Oh, I did mention the corporate seat problem to the reps from Philly but they told me they were just there representing the city and had no say in how the Wells Fargo Center handled tickets.

Netman
04-14-2013, 07:00 PM
Hopefully people had a chance to go down near the strip district to the Prmani Brother to have a #2. One the best sandwiches you'll have ever IMHO.

Now, I think what I just meant to say was...

Yinz needa go don ton an getcha a prmani's sammich on the strip. Bedder 'nat jumbo from gian'egl.

Hopefully someone got that burgese. :D

I am still full from the sammich on Friday.

MarkEagleUSA
04-14-2013, 07:13 PM
This was my first Frozen Four but I thought attendance was fine, especially Saturday. Then again, I endured the ECAC's in Atlantic City so a dozen fans in Pittsburgh would have impressed me.

BlackI
04-14-2013, 07:17 PM
I am still full from the sammich on Friday.

Good stuff, hopefully nobody got called a jagoff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61p30ZdnXGI

Dirt
04-14-2013, 07:38 PM
I hated seeing those empty seats on Thursday. I would of loved to sit there instead of the corner. Oh well. I saw on the scoreboard something about going to ncaa.com and clicking on "your opinion counts". I plan on going there and starting our frustration with the corporate seats.

My only other complaint about Pittsburgh was how hard it was to find and buy a twelve pack for the hotel room. Very hard to find a store that sold beer, and when you find one there were other rules to follow.

BlackI
04-14-2013, 07:41 PM
Good stuff, hopefully nobody got called a jagoff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61p30ZdnXGI

Not to add too much more, but it is worth it if you got the time(whole series needs taken in if you got the time):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAqz3guMtNw

Also, hoped people got to go to the lookout up on top of Mt. Washington. A favorite of mine, with my honey, with a glass of oak'y merlot - Rodney strong does the trick. ;)

BlackI
04-14-2013, 07:47 PM
I hated seeing those empty seats on Thursday. I would of loved to sit there instead of the corner. Oh well. I saw on the scoreboard something about going to ncaa.com and clicking on "your opinion counts". I plan on going there and starting our frustration with the corporate seats.

My only other complaint about Pittsburgh was how hard it was to find and buy a twelve pack for the hotel room. Very hard to find a store that sold beer, and when you find one there were other rules to follow.

Go to a bar. You can drink and have a good time. Then tell them you want a six pack of yuengling to go. Easy as hell and also on the order of absurd. But the rules, and the thinking is, you've been a great time all night... go ahead and take a sixer to go home with. :D

Or you can stop at the drive through to get your alcohol. They make it tough to find, but when you find one... it's like mcdonalds, where you better know what you want and they'll load you up - you have to pop the trunk now. But they'll load you up with as much as you want.

Strange place, but I love it. And there is something about the place that seems like home. :)

The Freds
04-14-2013, 07:50 PM
Only problem I had w Pittsburgh as a host was the iffy transit options in town... Namely cabs.

However, for a city that doesn't have regular tourism I could see that they only need a fleet of their size during the rest of the time... Market doesn't likely support it.

I'd have no problem returning to Pittsburgh

In our case, one of the best features was the hotel shuttle that would drop us off anywhere in a three mile radius and, then when we were ready, we called and they would pick us up. No need for mass transit, no need to drive and more than a few watering holes.

We even went to Church. ;)

Dirt
04-14-2013, 07:53 PM
In our case, one of the best features was the hotel shuttle that would drop us off anywhere in a three mile radius and, then when we were ready, we called and they would pick us up. No need for mass transit, no need to drive and more than a few watering holes.

I heard about this Church bar, but never made it. Heard it was pretty sweet.

The Freds
04-14-2013, 07:56 PM
I heard about this Church bar, but never made it. Heard it was pretty sweet.

www.churchbrew.com

It was sweet indeed. :D

BlackI
04-14-2013, 08:02 PM

Well, I know. But on the other hand it makes sense to me on some level. :)

"Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy." - Ben Franklin

I was raised catholic, and received communion at an impressionable age. :)

It makes sense on some level, I think. :D

RMUColonials
04-14-2013, 08:19 PM
Go to a bar. You can drink and have a good time. Then tell them you want a six pack of yuengling to go. Easy as hell and also on the order of absurd. But the rules, and the thinking is, you've been a great time all night... go ahead and take a sixer to go home with. :D

Or you can stop at the drive through to get your alcohol. They make it tough to find, but when you find one... it's like mcdonalds, where you better know what you want and they'll load you up - you have to pop the trunk now. But they'll load you up with as much as you want.

Strange place, but I love it. And there is something about the place that seems like home. :)

There does finally seem to be some traction to change the archaic alcohol laws in PA, but obviously not in time for this FF. Unless the laws change, it won't be much different in Philly.

As for my hometown, it gets a bad rap from people that haven't been here in a long time (or never). It's not for everyone, but I rarely hear people complain about it after they've been here.

I hope everyone enjoyed their stay.

BlackI
04-14-2013, 08:44 PM
There does finally seem to be some traction to change the archaic alcohol laws in PA, but obviously not in time for this FF. Unless the laws change, it won't be much different in Philly.

As for my hometown, it gets a bad rap from people that haven't been here in a long time (or never). It's not for everyone, but I rarely hear people complain about it after they've been here.

I hope everyone enjoyed their stay.

Well, my wife is from McKee's Rocks.

It is safe to say, I treat it like a second home. And I was colored impressed when I first came out of the tunnel. Even more so, when we drove up to the look out over Mt. Washington on a clear night(which can be rare) with a good glass of merlot.

It isn't an accident that the last Batman is filmed there... all you need is that look to realize it.

Also, what you will find is that despite I am a patriot fan, by and large the stillers enjoy and engage in very good football conversations without dismissing you as a rival fan.

Also, the last time I went to a Penguins game in the new rink, I had a patriots sweatshirt on with a Penguins hat. I could hear the chatter behind me, but only into the late first period. The most I heard was "honey it doesn't matter, I don't know either. He's probably going to hell someday". In Pittsburgh it is ok to be a stillers fan first, and not like the penguins. But it is seemingly unacceptable to be a penguins fan without liking the stillers. Despite this they overlooked it and made me feel "at home". But they did all agree that a guy in a patriot sweatshirt and a penguins hat is going to hell. :D

Having said all of that I now have a mess of a family where I need to be patient and not over step a boundary with Pats vs. Steelers... and then Penguins vs. Bruins... the only bargaining chip I have in this family is Red Sox vs. Buckos.

But they still have me out numbered and above all costs... and I can promise this... I won't conform and do the Polka.

:D

Patman
04-14-2013, 08:45 PM

Mine would to... but they quit at 10:30... did you stay at Cambria, Freds?