Rumors from out West

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumors from out West

Take it for what its worth. The only certain thing none of the people associated with the conferences are talking to each other or to the public.

1.) With all the unrest it is literally a referee free for all out there. For example, within the next ten days to two weeks referees have to make a decision where they want to officiate. It looks like everyone of them will be receiving a raise, the BiG and the new conference seem to be throwing the most money at the best refs. For some of them the biggest decision will be travel because the WCHA and the BiG seem to have a wider geographic foot print than the new conference.

2.) It looks like the BiG teams will be scheduling their series differently than in the past. I asked why? Television. Don't be surprised if we see the end of the college hockey traditional Friday/Saturday series. It looks more like Friday night and Sunday afternoon or Sunday and Monday maybe a Thursday here or there. We might even see Minnesota vs. Michigan Friday night and then Minnesota travels to Michigan State for a Sunday afternoon game. The BTN doesn't want hockey and basketball to conflict at all, they would rather have winter programing seven days a week without conflicts so they can fill up their daily schedules. With the addition of Penn State the BTN demanded the conference form a hockey conference so Fox and the BiG can make even more money. Programming was super important to the BiG Ten.

3.) Sponsorship has already increased for the Big Ten schools and to a lesser extent the new conference. In fact the new conference already has better deals lined up than the old WCHA or CCHA ever did.

4.) The future is very uncertain. He said, "I wouldn't be surprised if we see five schools fold. Many of the schools across the country need to update their rinks to succeed in the new era or they will be gone." I asked which schools? He wouldn't get into it. He also said, IL, Iowa, and Nebraska have been rumored to be joining the ice box and are close. Some time ago UNO asked Nebraska to please not start up a hockey program in the same market until a certain amount of time passed. That agreement is coming to an end.

5.) I asked which conference made out the best with this restructure? BiG. The other schools in the country can't hold a candle to the Big Ten because they have the ability to make the most money. He went on to say how sad he is having to witness an end of an era. It will never be the same.
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Re: Rumors from out West

Iowa plays their games in the Coralville mall. They're not anywhere near getting a team.
    AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
      Iowa plays their games in the Coralville mall. They're not anywhere near getting a team.
      What's the rink quality? Potential BFB location for next year?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        What's the rink quality? Potential BFB location for next year?
        Somehow, this is exactly what I would expect a rink in a mall to look like:

*****http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8450/8053184341_bba1edfd12_o.jpg******

Hey - it's got a Scheels!

*****http://thegazette.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/coral-ridge.jpg******
        Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
        B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
        CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
        ECAC:
        HEA: UMass
        NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
        Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Where's RedCow? He's been full of facts and the inside poop on Nebraska.
          bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
          SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
          All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
          A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
            Take it for what its worth. The only certain thing none of the people associated with the conferences are talking to each other or to the public.

1.) With all the unrest it is literally a referee free for all out there. For example, within the next ten days to two weeks referees have to make a decision where they want to officiate. It looks like everyone of them will be receiving a raise, the BiG and the new conference seem to be throwing the most money at the best refs. For some of them the biggest decision will be travel because the WCHA and the BiG seem to have a wider geographic foot print than the new conference.

2.) It looks like the BiG teams will be scheduling their series differently than in the past. I asked why? Television. Don't be surprised if we see the end of the college hockey traditional Friday/Saturday series. It looks more like Friday night and Sunday afternoon or Sunday and Monday maybe a Thursday here or there. We might even see Minnesota vs. Michigan Friday night and then Minnesota travels to Michigan State for a Sunday afternoon game. The BTN doesn't want hockey and basketball to conflict at all, they would rather have winter programing seven days a week without conflicts so they can fill up their daily schedules. With the addition of Penn State the BTN demanded the conference form a hockey conference so Fox and the BiG can make even more money. Programming was super important to the BiG Ten.

3.) Sponsorship has already increased for the Big Ten schools and to a lesser extent the new conference. In fact the new conference already has better deals lined up than the old WCHA or CCHA ever did.

4.) The future is very uncertain. He said, "I wouldn't be surprised if we see five schools fold. Many of the schools across the country need to update their rinks to succeed in the new era or they will be gone." I asked which schools? He wouldn't get into it. He also said, IL, Iowa, and Nebraska have been rumored to be joining the ice box and are close. Some time ago UNO asked Nebraska to please not start up a hockey program in the same market until a certain amount of time passed. That agreement is coming to an end.

5.) I asked which conference made out the best with this restructure? BiG. The other schools in the country can't hold a candle to the Big Ten because they have the ability to make the most money. He went on to say how sad he is having to witness an end of an era. It will never be the same.
            Can you give any details on who "he" is? Or is this some random wine-o you bumped into in front of the liquor store?
            Originally posted by SJHovey
            Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
            Originally posted by Brenthoven
            We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

"I wouldn't be surprised if we see five schools fold. Many of the schools across the country need to update their rinks to succeed in the new era or they will be gone."
              This is exactly the kind of horse**** that gets billionaire pro franchise owners to con states and municipalities into paying for brand new stadiums for them. I repeat, it's horse****. "You have to spend millions of dollars or you will lose money." People falling for that snake oil salespitch should be wearing dunce caps.
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

For some of them the biggest decision will be travel because the WCHA and the BiG seem to have a wider geographic foot print than the new conference.
                What?

Colorado Springs to Oxford, OH is a lot further than Minneapolis to State College, PA. There are three trips in the NCHC that are further than the longest trip in the B1G.

Comment

Regarding item #1, here's a Deadspin inspired average distance map. (Midpoint is the geographic center of all the teams, the ring represents the average "halfway" point every team is from the center.)

The old conferences:

And the new conferences:
                  “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Don't be surprised if we see the end of the college hockey traditional Friday/Saturday series. It looks more like Friday night and Sunday afternoon or Sunday and Monday maybe a Thursday here or there.
                    I know you are not talking about this happening out east... but if Hockey East went to primarially Sunday/Monday/Thrusday games I would think that ticket sales would drop drasticially. I know I'd be giving up my season tickets.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                      I know you are not talking about this happening out east... but if Hockey East went to primarially Sunday/Monday/Thrusday games I would think that ticket sales would drop drasticially. I know I'd be giving up my season tickets.
                      Absolutely.
                      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                        This is exactly the kind of horse**** that gets billionaire pro franchise owners to con states and municipalities into paying for brand new stadiums for them. I repeat, it's horse****. "You have to spend millions of dollars or you will lose money." People falling for that snake oil salespitch should be wearing dunce caps.
                        Hey, they're politicians... whadaya expect?
                        The dunce caps are worn by the voters.
                        'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

There would be no reason to keep them if that happened in Hockey East. Can walk up day of game for any game, and I mean any game, and easily score two tickets.
                          National Champions: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
                          Hockey East Tournament Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
                          Hockey East Regular Season Champions: 2014, 2012, 2011, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2001, 1991, 1990, 1989, 1987, 1986, 1985

Originally posted by SteveF
                          two things you need to know about the current state of BU hockey

a) fanboys chanted 'thank you seniors' at the beanpot
                          b) fanboys chanted 'wheres your beanpot' while getting blown out in the semis of the HE tournament

Comment

I assume he's talking BTHC. They're the ones who will have to dance to the BTN.

I again find the money argument amusing. The fact other schools won't be able to match the financial revenue of BTHC schools.

Haven't Big 10 schools always had a huge institutional advantage over the other schools fielding hockey teams, most of them fairly small schools? Name recognition, size, alumni base, and certainly the BTN revenue. How does that advantage change, exactly? Is the BTN going to see a giant increase in revenue just because the BTHC formed?

Big 10 schools have resources other Division I programs can only dream of, but it's been that way from day 1.
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post
                              What?

Colorado Springs to Oxford, OH is a lot further than Minneapolis to State College, PA. There are three trips in the NCHC that are further than the longest trip in the B1G.
                              Hey, this is what he told me.
                              Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                              dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                              wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Working...
                              X