RPI 2013 Women's off-season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPI 2013 Women's off-season

From the 2014-2015 commitments thread, it looks like we have our first commitment: Shayna Tomlinson. Played this past season with St. Paul's School and the Assabet Valley U19 team that just won the national championship (in a 1-0 game in which Tomlinson scored the only goal). Haven't found out much about her yet, other than that she is a 5'3" forward.
    Last edited by hab; 04-10-2013, 05:59 PM.

Re: RPI 2013 Women's off-season

Originally posted by hab View Post
    From the 2014-2015 commitments thread, it looks like we have our first commitment: Shayna Tomlinson. Played this past season with St. Paul's School and the Assabet Valley U19 team that just won the national championship (in a 1-0 game in which Tomlinson scored the only goal). Haven't found out much about her yet, other than that she is a 5'3" forward.
    Never made NDC (always surprising to me), but a strong forward with a lot of heart who gets to the net, scores goals, and plays hard in the defensive zone. Not sure where 5'3" came from, but I'm pretty sure she is bigger than that - certainly plays bigger. The word that always comes to mind when I watch her play is workmanlike - gets the job done and doesn't make a lot of fuss about it. Very aggressive player that others sometimes see as dirty (but I don't really think that is the case). I think she will fit in well with the RPI team and Coach Burke based on when I saw them play last season.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
      Never made NDC (always surprising to me), but a strong forward with a lot of heart who gets to the net, scores goals, and plays hard in the defensive zone. Not sure where 5'3" came from, but I'm pretty sure she is bigger than that - certainly plays bigger. The word that always comes to mind when I watch her play is workmanlike - gets the job done and doesn't make a lot of fuss about it. Very aggressive player that others sometimes see as dirty (but I don't really think that is the case). I think she will fit in well with the RPI team and Coach Burke based on when I saw them play last season.
      That's great information, thanks. I think the 5' 3" might have been from last winter, and so probably out of date by a couple inches . I like what I hear about her style. RPI has developed a bit of a reputation as a team that plays with a bit of an edge, physically, while still being disciplined about not taking dumb penalties. If anyone watched yesterday's world championship final you will have noticed that there is still a big jump from even the most physical of NCAA teams to the amount of (legal) hard body contact that takes place at the international level.

Comment

Originally posted by hab View Post
        Assabet Valley, under Carl Gray, has a tremendous hockey program throughout. She should be a great addition.
        Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

I understand theree are at least 5 new recruits for next year but only see three listed on the committment thread.

Does anyone know who the other 2 are? I believe there is one recruit from Finland but am not sure of her name.

Comment

Originally posted by Stat Man View Post
            I understand theree are at least 5 new recruits for next year but only see three listed on the committment thread.

Does anyone know who the other 2 are? I believe there is one recruit from Finland but am not sure of her name.
            If you have a guess at the name, you could use the directory. Since a Finnish first name would be rather rare, that should also work.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
              If you have a guess at the name, you could use the directory. Since a Finnish first name would be rather rare, that should also work.
              It's five letters.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                It's five letters.
                Four of which are vowels.

Comment

Team awards http://www.rpiathletics.com/news/201...414133126.aspx.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Smelker wins nothing? Isn't that kind of surprising?

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                      Smelker wins nothing? Isn't that kind of surprising?
                      O'Brien truly deserved MVP. She was rock solid all season.

Comment

From the Senior athletics banquet.Katie Daniels was the recipient of the Perseverance Award. Taylor Horton received a Strength and Conditioning Career Athlete Awards. She was also inducted into Olympia, the athletics honorary.

http://www.rpiathletics.com/news/201...509131306.aspx

Edit: Horton is also the next-to-last person interviewed in the video

Last edited by Ralph Baer; 05-09-2013, 10:51 AM.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Press release about Jordan Smelker being at the U.S. Women's National Team Selection Camp.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Press release about Jordan Smelker being at the U.S. Women's National Team Selection Camp.
                            It is a very tall order to crack the lineup of that team, but the fact that Smelker keeps getting invited to these very high quality camps is great for her development and great for the Engineers. Also a statement about what a strong two-way player she is.

Comment

Still waiting to see the Engineers' schedule for next winter. So far, from what we can glean from other teams' releases it looks like we start the season in Pittsburgh for 2 games against RMU (the Colonials seem to be a staple for the RPI schedule) and host Northeastern the following weekend. And we go to Providence on Jan 4-5.

Comment

Working...
                              X