Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frozen Four Breaks From Tradition-4/07 Boston Globe by Bob Ryan:aka-The Commissioner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frozen Four Breaks From Tradition-4/07 Boston Globe by Bob Ryan:aka-The Commissioner

The eyes and ears of millions will be trained on the Georgia Dome Monday night, when Louisville and Michigan meet for the NCAA men’s basketball championship.

But to a feisty slice of the collegiate sports fandom, all that basketball nonsense is a foolish exercise that is diverting America’s attention from a far more relevant matter, which is, of course, the Frozen Four that will commence Thursday night in Pittsburgh.

And what a Frozen Four it is. If there’s anything that speaks to the almost amusing nature of the Frozen Four, as opposed to the Final Four, it is the identity of the four schools comprising the 2013 Frozen Four: UMass-Lowell, Quinnipiac, Yale, and St. Cloud State.

It’s the anti-Final Four!

And I love it.
    Bob Ryan
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Re: Frozen Four Breaks From Tradition-4/07 Boston Globe by Bob Ryan:aka-The Commissio

More than happy to have Bob drop in on the party.
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Re: Frozen Four Breaks From Tradition-4/07 Boston Globe by Bob Ryan:aka-The Commissio

I read this article this morning with a smile. Bob Ryan is my favorite sports writer, any sport, any era. As most know, he is the preeminent basketball writer in the country. His knowledge of the game, going back to the '50's, is encyclopedic. However he is much more than hoops. He was on the Red Sox beat for years, has covered multiple Olympics, golf and, yes, hockey. While never a Bruins beat writer (he covered the Celtics fantastically for two decades in the '70's & '80's), he has covered his share of Frozen Fours. I believe the first one he ever did was in 1983 when he was exiled, or so he thought, to Grand Forks to cover Harvard's quest for their first national title. His columns about that experience were eloquent (it's 30 years ago, not sure if you can find them in the archives). I feel he has never lost his love for the college hockey FF, which he has described as quaint, especially in these days of the overblown, exceedingly more corrupt, basketball FF.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
        I read this article this morning with a smile. Bob Ryan is my favorite sports writer, any sport, any era. As most know, he is the preeminent basketball writer in the country. His knowledge of the game, going back to the '50's, is encyclopedic. However he is much more than hoops. He was on the Red Sox beat for years, has covered multiple Olympics, golf and, yes, hockey. While never a Bruins beat writer (he covered the Celtics fantastically for two decades in the '70's & '80's), he has covered his share of Frozen Fours. I believe the first one he ever did was in 1983 when he was exiled, or so he thought, to Grand Forks to cover Harvard's quest for their first national title. His columns about that experience were eloquent (it's 30 years ago, not sure if you can find them in the archives). I feel he has never lost his love for the college hockey FF, which he has described as quaint, especially in these days of the overblown, exceedingly more corrupt, basketball FF.
        http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/boston/a...IN+GRAND+FORKS

Cannot get the full version without money, but nevertheless.
        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
        Skating Friar Jersey
        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Working...
        X