Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Gophers Offesason Thread: Back To 1896

Originally posted by Golden Tuuk View Post
    Yep, maybe when they're all seniors we'll see something special.
    Historically, there's never been a dominating senior class during Lucia's tenure and probably never will be. It appears the freshman will be the dominating class next season with 8; with an overall mix of classes that appears similar to 2004-05. With the incoming freshman talent, there's reason to be excited about next season's possibilities.

Dominating Class

Freshman (#)

2001-02 (9): NCAA Championship
    2004-05 (9): 3rd place NCAAs
    2006-07 (9): F5 Championship and NCAAs

Sophomores (#)

2002-03 (10): F5 Championship and NCAA Championship
    2005-06 (9): NCAAs
    2011-12 (11): 3rd place NCAAs

Juniors (#)

2003-04 (8): F5 Championship and NCAAs
    2012-13 (10): NCAAs

Seniors (#)

N/A

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Tuuk View Post
      Yep, maybe when they're all seniors we'll see something special.
      I think we'll see some great things from this class long before then.
      @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
      On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
      High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
        Some nice goals here from last season. Warning's first goal in the video was especially cool.

I disagree.
        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
          I think we'll see some great things from this class long before then.
          Good to see you around. I'm excited about next season with the guys we have comin' in. Although scoring at the USHL level doesn't always correlate with D1, freshman recruit Taylor Cammarata earned the USHL regular season scoring title this past season with 38 goals and 55 assists (38-55-93) in 59 games and came within 2 points of tying the Waterloo Blackhawks all time scoring record. Cammarata became the first Gopher recruit to lead the USHL in scoring since Mike Howe/2003-04 and Ryan Potulny/2002-03.

Justin Kloos, another freshman recruit who plays on the same line, was runner-up with 87 points, but also played in five fewer games than Cammarata. Good news is they could be with the Gophers for at least 3+ years.

Comment

Bump to jump over rugby.

Comment

Good to see you around. I'm excited about next season with the guys we have comin' in. Although scoring at the USHL level doesn't always correlate with D1, freshman recruit Taylor Cammarata earned the USHL regular season scoring title this past season with 38 goals and 55 assists (38-55-93) in 59 games and came within 2 points of tying the Waterloo Blackhawks all time scoring record. Cammarata became the first Gopher recruit to lead the USHL in scoring since Mike Howe/2003-04 and Ryan Potulny/2002-03.

Justin Kloos, another freshman recruit who plays on the same line, was runner-up with 87 points, but also played in five fewer games than Cammarata. Good news is they could be with the Gophers for at least 3+ years.
              Bad news/Good news. Bad news? Waterloo just got beat in its first game of the USHL playoffs. Good news? Another one of our recruits Gabe Guertler, no slouch in his own right, was involved in all three of Fargo's goals.
              Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                I'm more pessimistic than you. I don't see how losing some potential Seniors with major skills (not that I expected them to stay, other than Alt) from a team that was already very young makes them more balanced. When it comes to age, older is better in most cases for college sports..bigger, stronger, smarter, more consistent. If a young team gets hot right at the end of the year, they can go on a tear, although the 2 week break between rounds in the NCAA tends to un-do momentum. I agree with SCSU Euro's post. Consistency is unlikely, and unfortunately, there will be more risks for early departure after next year. Team's with the potential this year's team had come by rarely, so it hurts to have the early finish and early departures, regardless of how good your incoming class is. I am guessing none of them will have a Vanek like impact.
                There doesn't need to be someone with a Vanek impact. The Gophers lost a lot of scoring that rarely can be replaced, but this might be one of the rare exceptions. They had a solid back to back classes that brought this team from not making NCAA's to one of the best teams in the NCAA's. The second of those classes Rau, Warning, Marshall, Ambroz, and Isackson all can light the lamp given some more ice time and will all be juniors. Also, the gophers will be much older, because they will have four seniors (Condon, Parenteau, Holl, and Sarretore), a lot of Juniors, a few Sophamore's and some Freshmen who are older than normal for their talent given there was no room for them on this years team or they got injured (Connor Reilly). This will actually probably be the oldest team the Gophers had in years.

Michigan underperformed this year until the end and has the #1 recruiting class coming in, so I wouldn't put them out of the mix. There are too many unknowns when counting on a lot of rookie scoring and counting on other guys to make a jump from one year to the next to say how this team will be.
                Michigan wouldn't shock me if the had a big comeback year too much. However, I got a feeling that they might be like the gophers of four years ago and miss the tournament for a few years. They have the same make-up of those team were top recruits not panning out or going to Juniors. As well as the few good players jumping ship early (kind of like Leddy would be to Trouba) when the team need to have them stay badly. Those Gopher teams from a few years ago, really came on late, but wouldn't fulfill the promise the next season. I think Michigan needs a goalie to really step up, or have an incoming one actually join the team. Not having John Gibson was the biggest reason for under-performing.

Also, the Gophers had the best recruiting class last year pretty much by every college hockey source. Did they have the best freshman class, last year. No, because they either got hurt (C. Reilly), left back because there wasn't a spot (Kloos), or didn't get playing time (M. Reilly). The ones that did find there was were not to shabby either, Skjei, Wilcox played a lot and when they got in the line up Michealson and Reilly were solid to bright spots. All this leads to the Gophers not needing the number one recruiting class.
                Used RCA television $60
                Monthly Cable bill $40
                Watching Schutte Cry in the Penalty Box after he got cocky with the crowd earlier.
                P-R-I-C-E-L-E-S-S

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                  Bad news/Good news. Bad news? Waterloo just got beat in its first game of the USHL playoffs. Good news? Another one of our recruits Gabe Guertler, no slouch in his own right, was involved in all three of Fargo's goals.
                  Guertler is a strong, aggressive forward with a lot of scoring potential as well. And apparently the playoff series has about 6 players coming into the B1G next season. Article. I see Waterloo tied the series at 1-1.

Comment

Originally posted by shiftyjedi View Post
                    There doesn't need to be someone with a Vanek impact. The Gophers lost a lot of scoring that rarely can be replaced, but this might be one of the rare exceptions. They had a solid back to back classes that brought this team from not making NCAA's to one of the best teams in the NCAA's. The second of those classes Rau, Warning, Marshall, Ambroz, and Isackson all can light the lamp given some more ice time and will all be juniors. Also, the gophers will be much older, because they will have four seniors (Condon, Parenteau, Holl, and Sarretore), a lot of Juniors, a few Sophamore's and some Freshmen who are older than normal for their talent given there was no room for them on this years team or they got injured (Connor Reilly). This will actually probably be the oldest team the Gophers had in years.
                    Mainly I was countering the argument that was implied that the team would be better ("more balanced") because of early departures, not that they won't be potential contenders. And other than Rau, a lot of those players you mention need to make a jump to replace what was lost, and there is no guarantee that will happen. Guys like Condon, Ambroz, Warning, Boyd didn't make as big of a step as I expected. In contrast, some of the guys on SCSU, for example, made big jumps. That is why they did better than expected. I don't think you can predict who will take that step, and for that reason, no matter how good a freshman class you have or how many pretty good players you have returning, you don't know what you have until well into the next season. Returning guys who have been consistent producers gives one more assurance (although some of those that returned from last year still weren't quite at the level I had hoped this year) that your team will be a contender than relying on guys to step up and for freshman to have a big impact.

Originally posted by shiftyjedi View Post

Also, the Gophers had the best recruiting class last year pretty much by every college hockey source. Did they have the best freshman class, last year. No, because they either got hurt (C. Reilly), left back because there wasn't a spot (Kloos), or didn't get playing time (M. Reilly). The ones that did find there was were not to shabby either, Skjei, Wilcox played a lot and when they got in the line up Michealson and Reilly were solid to bright spots. All this leads to the Gophers not needing the number one recruiting class.
                    1. Michigan is always #1.
                    2. I am guessing Mike R. sat less than Skjei. And while he was very good at times, one of the better freshman D in awhile, he was no LeLeggia in his freshman year, despite having similar results at Pentictan. (No criticism, just pointing out how hard it is to predict impact of a freshman.)
                    3. Michelson, when recruited was expected to be a major contributor his freshman year, and while a decent player, is far from a guy who will carry the team. He and Reilly will still be role players next year, not players who will really fill in for all the lost scoring. (Sounds like Fasching has also had a drop in expectations since the time he was recruited.)
                    4. Even the heralded Grimaldi could only do so much to lift the Whoiux's play this year.

Overall, the loss of all the early departures does not guarantee a decline in the Gophs play, but a lot more pieces have to fall into place to make them a top five type team. They could be great, but it is way more up in the air than it was last year coming into a new season.

Comment

• Re: Minnesota Gophers Offesason Thread: Back To 1896

It's far from uncommon for players to progress, Scooby II.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                        It's far from uncommon for players to progress, Scooby II.
                        1. I was optimistic last year. Time to switch. (Besides, Scooby doesn't post here often lately.)
                        2. I concede players progressed. Just can't name one who made a big jump.
                        3. I put more on luck of the draw with the personality of the individual than blaming coaching on who excels and who plods.

Comment

1. I was optimistic last year. Time to switch. (Besides, Scooby doesn't post here often lately.)
                          2. I concede players progressed. Just can't name one who made a big jump.
                          3. I put more on luck of the draw with the personality of the individual than blaming coaching on who excels and who plods.
                          -Your optimism was justified - who knew the offense would crap the bed at the end?
                          -No one individual (or two, or three) have to make a large jump, they have to do it together as a team. They lost more in terms of leadership last off-season than this one and still managed to tie for the conference title.
                          -Super, then it's just as logical to have positive expectations as negative in that regard.

Still too much Scooby Two in there, but que sera sera.

Comment

Guys like Condon, Ambroz, Warning, Boyd didn't make as big of a step as I expected.
                            I would scratch Ambroz and Warning from your list. They made major contributions both ways during the season, doubled their pts/game while reducing their PIM in half. I would consider those as major jumps from their previous year's performance. Ben Marshall also made a significant jump as an offensive threat by increasing his point total by approximately 50% with a significant reduction in PIM (65%). Tom Serratore more than doubled his offensive output with 3 GWG to his credit as well.

However, the above were not the best players whom the Gophers were depending on to increase their offensive production. Key players such as Rau (-7%), Bjugstad (-15%), Schmidt (-4%), and Budish (-3%) all regressed in their point totals from the previous season, and only Haula slightly improved (+4%). Overall, that was a major factor that played heavily into their demise last season. It also limited the Gophers ability to develop a natural killer instinct and put teams away early.

Comment

How much of this do you suppose is leadership based? I'm talking about the kind of leadership that really keeps things together on the ice and in the locker room.

A year ago they really seemed to have it with Matson, but I didn't get that sense from Budish this year, or the alternates.

Who is going to step up and take that "Grant Potulny" role next year, the way Matson did two seasons ago and create the off-ice chemistry and on-ice commitment?

Comment

I would scratch Ambroz and Warning from your list. They made major contributions both ways during the season, doubled their pts/game while reducing their PIM in half. I would consider those as major jumps from their previous year's performance. Ben Marshall also made a significant jump as an offensive threat by increasing his point total by approximately 50% with a significant reduction in PIM (65%). Tom Serratore more than doubled his offensive output with 3 GWG to his credit as well.

However, the above were not the best players whom the Gophers were depending on to increase their offensive production. Key players such as Rau (-7%), Bjugstad (-15%), Schmidt (-4%), and Budish (-3%) all regressed in their point totals from the previous season, and only Haula slightly improved (+4%). Overall, that was a major factor that played heavily into their demise last season. It also limited the Gophers ability to develop a natural killer instinct and put teams away early.
                                Good post. I still consider last year as a dream team. When competition ramped up as the season progressed, they came down with the traditional Gopher disease though...an inability to finish.
                                Go Gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X