Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers Offesason Thread: Back To 1896

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Many great Minnesotans have things named after them. Tributes are not usually rebuked by families. Also, why didn't they resist SCSU's rink name? If its their wishes, so be it...but I find it odd.
    Well, Dan Brooks, Herbie's son, was quoted as saying his father would have been honored to have a building named after him. But apparently not a MN hockey classic of MN schools, despite the fact he was coach for two of 'em. I agree, the hockey conference would have been a nice network connection for a variety of reasons with the HB Foundation's vision to help promote youth hockey. Their call, but yeah....hmmm. As far as Herbie is concerned, he probably couldn't care less whether his name is on it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      I can see their point. Don't want to "whore out" (for lack of a better term) the name.
      That's just plain "whorible" drivel.

Comment

Per a Tweet from Hammy it appears Louie Nanne has de-comitted.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
        And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
        Twenty red lights in his honor
        Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
          Per a Tweet from Hammy it appears Louie Nanne has de-comitted.
          Sounds like he lacks confidence and felt he was shouldering too many "Nanne" expectations in MN: His Tweet. Even if he plays D1 at another school, there will still be expectations...but less. Strib Article.

Comment

Wimp.
            the state of hockey is good

Comment

That's a shame (especially letting internet comments be such a large part of how he made his decision), was he expected to be any good?
              Last edited by William Blake; 09-08-2013, 11:39 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                Wimp.
                I find nothing wrong with trying to make your own way in this World. And some of the ridiculous comments made after the kid committed (and even more after he was drafted) made it obvious it would be difficult for him to do here.
                @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                  I find nothing wrong with trying to make your own way in this World. And some of the ridiculous comments made after the kid committed (and even more after he was drafted) made it obvious it would be difficult for him to do here.
                  I agree. He made a mistake. That turtle move was gopher all the way.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                    I agree. He made a mistake.
                    You're confused.

Originally posted by burd View Post
                    That turtle move was gopher all the way.
                    No surprise here, Rear Admiral burd knows all about turtle moves.

Comment

Originally posted by William Blake View Post
                      That's a shame (especially letting internet comments be such a large part of how he made his decision), was he expected to be any good?
                      Louie would have most likely been a good role player. Unfortunately, because of deep family connections to Gopher hockey and the Wild, some social media clowns insinuated that he was recruited by the Gophers and drafted by the Wild because of those connections not necessarily his talent, which IMO is absurd. Louie's proven he's a good hockey player and played in 45 games last season for Penticton (BCHL) averaging close to a point/game.

It seems in a situation like this a player has basically two choices, "fight or flight": 1) decide to fight it and use it as an incentive to focus on skill development and eventually prove people wrong OR 2) go elsewhere to play where the expectations and rumors surrounding his family name are less intense or threatening.

This isn't the first time nepotism rumors have been implied (i.e. Tony Lucia). Tony fought through it and performed reasonably well. In similar fashion, I suppose Louie could have used the criticism as added incentive to develop and excel, but he obviously lacks the confidence and self-identity at this point to handle it all. Hope things work out for him.

Comment

Louie had to do what was best for him. None of us know what it is like being a hockey playing Nanne in this state. I am sure he will choose a school out of state but my guess any of the other MN schools would take him in a second. He is a quality hockey and it is not jsut because he is a Nanne.
                        I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

• Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
                          Louie had to do what was best for him. None of us know what it is like being a hockey playing Nanne in this state. I am sure he will choose a school out of state but my guess any of the other MN schools would take him in a second. He is a quality hockey and it is not jsut because he is a Nanne.
                          Doubt he stays in-state. It was not just Gopher fans who were crying nepotism when the Wild drafted him.
                          @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                          On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                          High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

I hope it works out well for Louie wherever he ends up.
                            Originally posted by CavalryNate
                            Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
                              I hope it works out well for Louie wherever he ends up.
                              Ditto.
                              Seems like a very mature kid.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                              And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                              Twenty red lights in his honor
                              Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                                Doubt he stays in-state. It was not just Gopher fans who were crying nepotism when the Wild drafted him.
                                Louie was mainly looking eastern schools back when he decided on the Gophers. My bet is he ends up at an Ivy school.
                                University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X