X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
    Recruiting will always be a gamble.
    You win some you lose some.

The kid has to fiit the system and he has to believe in the coaching staff.

Comment

• Re: Minnesota Gophers Offesason Thread: Back To 1896

Gophers Brady Skjei,Mike Brodzinski, Hudson Fasching, Taylor Cammarata and Tommy Vanelli made the preliminary US World Junior roster.

Congrats to them!

http://worldjuniors.usahockey.com/pa...on-camp-roster

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
        Gophers Brady Skjei,Mike Brodzinski, Hudson Fasching, Taylor Cammarata and Tommy Vanelli made the preliminary US World Junior roster.

Congrats to them!

Funny. I'd put Mike Reilly's development ahead of the lot....is he out of consideration for some reason?
        Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
          Funny. I'd put Mike Reilly's development ahead of the lot....is he out of consideration for some reason?
          turns 20 in July. I believe he's aged out.
          Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post

Congrats to them!

And one of those rare occasions where 29/40 players at the 2014 WJC evaluation camp are from the NCAA. When the final roster of 23-24 players is finally rolled out, this may turn out to be Don Lucia and the NCAA vs. the world. This should be interesting...

Comment

Taylor Cammarata took home more hardware recently from his phenomenal 2012-13 USHL season and was named the Dave Tyler Junior Player of the Year by USA Hockey as the most outstanding American player skating for any American junior hockey team. He was officially presented with the award last Wednesday, June 5th at the USA Hockey Annual Congress in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

USA Hockey today announced that Waterloo Black Hawks forward Taylor Cammarata has been named the Dave Tyler Junior Player of the Year, presented to the top American-born player in junior hockey this season.

The award adds to a list of honors that Cammarata has racked up this season. He recently was named both the USHL Player of the Year and USHL Forward of the Year to go along with All-USHL First Team honors. Cammarata, who celebrated his 18th birthday this month, led the USHL in scoring this season with 93 points (38g, 55a) in 59 regular season games. It is the second most points scored by a USHL player since the League was designated Tier 1 by USA Hockey in 2002. It is the 17th consecutive season that a USHL player has earned the Dave Tyler Junior Player of the Year Award. Cammarata is the third member of the Waterloo Black Hawks to receive the honor, joining Joe Pavelski (2003-04) and Jason Blake (1993-94).

Comment

The countdown has begun...

*****http://i594.***********.com/albums/tt28/harleymc1/Gophersign2_zps1bced57a.jpg******

Comment

BTN timeouts in the B1G:

The Big Ten also will change its media timeout rules this season, though there will continue to be three per period. In the CCHA, they were 1-1½-minute stoppages during the first stoppage in play after the 14-, 10- and 6-minute marks. With more games being televised on the Big Ten Network this season, the new league will have breaks after the 15-, 10- and 6-minute marks during a period for 30 seconds, a minute and then 30 seconds.

Comment

I like the timeout change, but really dislike them adding shootouts to decide games.
                    Originally posted by CavalryNate
                    Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
                      I like the timeout change, but really dislike them adding shootouts to decide games.
                      They want to be as close to the NHL rules as possible. Recruits like that kind of stuff.
                      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
                        Frankly, we've been the laggard when it comes to shootouts. NHL has them, minors has them, junior hockey that feeds NCAA (i.e. USHL) has them, and so on. Many of the kids that come into our program are accustomed to having them. It will only mean something in terms of the league points. It will still count as a tie in the PWR.
                        University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
                          Frankly, we've been the laggard when it comes to shootouts. NHL has them, minors has them, junior hockey that feeds NCAA (i.e. USHL) has them, and so on. Many of the kids that come into our program are accustomed to having them. It will only mean something in terms of the league points. It will still count as a tie in the PWR.
                          It's no surprise that the B1G is implementing shootouts with Tom Anastos (MSU) acting as the Big Ten's representative on the NCAA rules committee. As CCHA commissioner, he reintroduced the shootout procedure in the NCAA for the CCHA in 2008-09 (Hockey East had it in the mid-90s and dropped it).

I know some Gopher fans are not fond of shootouts as some feel it reduces a team sport to a skills competition. I can see their point, but most fans like it for the entertainment value. I'm ok with it. I've seen a lot of shootouts and it usually gets fans on their feet. But there's an equally strong contingent of fans, coaches, etc. in the hockey world that don't like it.

Check out this crazy NHL shootout:

There's also been some discussion of 4 on 4 for OT:

“There’s talk about, in the future, putting on our radar more discussion on the potential of modifying our overtime procedure to include 4-on-4 overtime play as opposed to just 5-on-5. That’s technically available in the rule book today, but I don’t think anybody at the Division I men’s level has gone to it,” Anastos said. “We could choose to do that if we wanted to. But because of the impact that people feel in the RPI process, I don’t think we’re going to do something like that unless everybody does it across the board.”
                          He also mentioned recently that there's been discussion on implementing off-site video review similar to the NHL with refs located at a broadcast center somewhere to enhance accuracy with multiple screens and to minimize the stoppage time refs typically need to examine video evidence during a game.

“It would be implementing our current NCAA video replay policy through a command center-type setup like the NHL does,” Anastos said. “Now, we haven’t done that yet. But that’s something we talked about at the (NCAA) rules committee and we talked about the Big Ten potentially exploring its benefit and reporting back to the (NCAA) committee". Anastos, who will enter his third year as the Spartans’ head coach this fall, said having only six teams in the new Big Ten could allow for a little more experimentation with rules and procedures.

Comment

Speaking of the NHL, is there anyone that would seriously prefer the current format over five minutes of 4-on-4 and then five minutes of 3-on-3?

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                              Speaking of the NHL, is there anyone that would seriously prefer the current format over five minutes of 4-on-4 and then five minutes of 3-on-3?
                              The 3-on-3 seems like a good idea at first glance, but I feel like it would inevitably turn into 5 minutes of hooking, holding and interference. There just wouldn't be enough of a negative repercussion for taking a penalty.
                              If people really are so set on eliminating ties, go to 8 minutes of 4-on-4.

Bleh. I knew the change was coming. I don't like it, but it just goes on the list of things I don't like at this point. Not much else that can be done about it.
                              Have they said how they will be allotting points? 3pts every game, or some 2pt and some 3pt games?

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                                The 3-on-3 seems like a good idea at first glance, but I feel like it would inevitably turn into 5 minutes of hooking, holding and interference. There just wouldn't be enough of a negative repercussion for taking a penalty.
                                If a team gets a penalty, you could go to 4-on-3. Would kinda be a mess as you'd go 4-on-4 until the next whistle after a penalty ends.

I just read an article that proposed a penalty shot for a penalty in 3-on-3. There's your repercussion.
                                Last edited by Bonin21; 06-14-2013, 12:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X