Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union Hockey Official off Season Thread: Can U Three Peat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
    ..and including a goal on Friday night for a 4 point weekend. Overall it was a good weekend for all of U's recruits in the USHL. Alex "the Greek" (I'm not even going to attempt to spell his name) had a shutout on Saturday and stopped 46 of 48 shots on Friday in a 3-2 Chicago victory. Jeff Taylor had 2 assists and a +4 on Saturday, and even Tyler Hynes and Mat Krug had points (a goal and assist respectively). Taylor is the only one who's team made the playoffs, so everyone else's season is over. Taylor had a really nice season too with 27 points and a +41 that was 2nd in the league for dmen.

Future of Union hockey looks great....

Comment

• Re: Union Hockey Official off Season Thread: Can U Three Peat?

Michael Pontarelli scored another ridiculous goal last night as Cornwall went up 2-0 in their series against Nepean.

http://www.pointstreak.com/flashapp/...gameid=2180930

Comment

AHL transactions show Kinkaid's back in Albany.

Comment

Our old friend Gary Heenan is a finalist for the vacant Alaska Anchorage head coaching job. As a refresher for our newer fans, Gary replaced Tony Gasparini as an assistant to Nate Leaman back in the summer of 2005. Shortly after taking the job, Heenan shot his mouth off to the local press in Utica about his new job.

Union hired Gary Heenan as an assistant hockey coach on Monday, and four days later he resigned to return to his former post as head coach of Utica College. Heenan's resignation came after meeting with Union head coach Nate Leaman on Wednesday and Thursday to discuss comments Heenan made to Utica Observer-Dispatch sports writer Craig Muder for an article published in Tuesday's edition. In that article, Heenan said:

• "The obvious progression is to become the second assistant, but there you do a lot of grunt work and I felt I was beyond that professionally."

• "I envisioned myself going to a much larger school than Union. But with a first assistant's position and going with a coach that's in demand like Nate, that was attractive to me. Nate just coached the under-18 team to a gold medal. I don't think he'll be there all that long."

Leaman read the article online Tuesday evening and was concerned about some of the quotes. He met with Heenan in Schenectady on Wednesday and Heenan also met with Union Director of Athletics Jim McLaughlin. Leaman and Heenan met again on Thursday at which time it was decided that Heenan would resign from his new position and return to be the head coach at Utica, a Division III program. "Comments in the article caused some concern that there may be some disrespect to Union College, the alums of the hockey program that have worn the jersey with a lot of pride, myself, and assistant coach Bill Riga," Leaman said. "It's an honor to be involved with Union College and its hockey program. I am very happy with the direction of the administration and our program. I'm proud of the opportunity to help lead the program, as well as the players and coaches that have come before us in the history of this program." Leaman plans to resume his search for an assistant immediately.
          http://insidecollegehockey.com/7Arch...pdate_0342.htm

Heenan was fired shortly after the comments, and was replaced by none other than Rick Bennett. It's an interesting twist, and I fear to think where the program would be now if we had been stuck with this guy and never hired Rick Bennett.

Comment

More postseason honors for Ghost who was named to the All USCHO Third team, http://www.uscho.com/2013/04/18/usch...l-uscho-teams/

Comment

With the shuffle on the goaltending depth chart, it appears Joe Young will arrive later than expected.

Also, a recap of the annual awards banquet.

Comment

Did you by any chance happen to hear anything about next year's schedule at the banquet? So far we know that Union has home games against Bowling Green (2x), Lake Superior (2x), and UConn (was mentioned on the radio during last year's game that Union re-upped for 3 more games with them) and road games against St. Cloud (2x) and Penn State (2x), as well as the Mayor's Cup at the TUC which leaves 2 more non-conference openings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dutchfan View Post
                  Did you by any chance happen to hear anything about next year's schedule at the banquet? So far we know that Union has home games against Bowling Green (2x), Lake Superior (2x), and UConn (was mentioned on the radio during last year's game that Union re-upped for 3 more games with them) and road games against St. Cloud (2x) and Penn State (2x), as well as the Mayor's Cup at the TUC which leaves 2 more non-conference openings.
                  I think we are playing 2 at UNH

Comment

It was a very moving evening last night at the Banquet. There were many moist eyed speeches as the season and the accomplishments of this very special senior class were honored. I have to think that this group of seniors along with Jeremy Welsh and Keith Kinkaid will long be remembered for their talent, character and accomplishments. All the best to them in their chosen pursuits. They make me proud to be associated with Union Hockey.

Comment

New video from Phil Cohn:

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                        It was a very moving evening last night at the Banquet. There were many moist eyed speeches as the season and the accomplishments of this very special senior class were honored. I have to think that this group of seniors along with Jeremy Welsh and Keith Kinkaid will long be remembered for their talent, character and accomplishments. All the best to them in their chosen pursuits. They make me proud to be associated with Union Hockey.
                        It's sad to see them go. This was undoubtedly the best recruiting class in Union history, and one of the best the entire league has seen since the turn of the century. The numbers speak for themselves, Three ECAC final game appearances with two championships, two Cleary Cups, four first round byes, three NCAA appearances, a Frozen Four, and, two NHLers and counting. This is going to be a tough class to replace, but it seems like we've been saying that every year for the last four or five years. The future is bright, but it's tough to see these kids leave the program. I can't thank this senior class enough for everything they've done for the school on and off the ice over their four years.

Comment

Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
                          New video from Phil Cohn:

We all owe a big thanks to Phil for all of the videos he's done. There's no better video guy in the business.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dutchfan View Post
                            We all owe a big thanks to Phil for all of the videos he's done. There's no better video guy in the business.
                            Phil was recognized last night and called upon to speak along with his classmates. His contributions were large and he will also be missed.

I also want to pass along condolences to Brian Unger who missed the festivities due to the passing of his mother.

Comment

I'm a little late on posting this, but Alex Sakellaropoulos was named co-goaltender of the week for the USHL for the final regular season weekend.

Michael Pontarelli had anoter goal and an assist in last night's 4-3 loss to Nepean in the CCHL finals, Cornwall leads that series 3-2.

Comment

Cornwall knocked off Nepean in OT last night to win the CCHL title belt. Pontarelli has the Asst. on the GWG. The Colts move on to the Fred Page Cup tourney next week in Nova Scotia.

http://www.standard-freeholder.com/2...ears-for-colts
                                ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Working...
                                X