Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union Hockey Official off Season Thread: Can U Three Peat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Union Hockey Official off Season Thread: Can U Three Peat?

It will be interesting to see who Union is able to bring in this late. One thing that is certain is RB and staff will have a pretty nice pitch for whoever will listen considering the last two starting goaltenders at Union were both All-Americans and signed NHL FA deals.

Union will be more than fine next season. Stevens has all the tools Kinkaid and Troy had and is an elite goaltender in the making. Even this season he was a better option than most of the goalies who were starting for other ECAC schools.
    Last edited by Dutchfan; 04-09-2013, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Couple things I put together:

Timing was everything for Grosenick
      and
      Union not lacking confidence in Stevens

It will be interesting to see who is brought in if Young isn't. I wouldn't totally rule that out just yet - Stevens came in early when Kinkaid went pro. Stevens and Pieri have two more years and Young is coming in 2014 if not this year. If Young doesn't come early and someone else is brought in, they could have four goalies for 2014-2015. Something would have to give. They don't cut players.

Comment

Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
        Couple things I put together:

Timing was everything for Grosenick
        and
        Union not lacking confidence in Stevens

It will be interesting to see who is brought in if Young isn't. I wouldn't totally rule that out just yet - Stevens came in early when Kinkaid went pro. Stevens and Pieri have two more years and Young is coming in 2014 if not this year. If Young doesn't come early and someone else is brought in, they could have four goalies for 2014-2015. Something would have to give. They don't cut players.
        It sounds pretty certain that Young isn't coming in the fall, especially if Bennett himself is saying they are looking for a backup. As for what happens with the roster, its not unheard of to have 4 goalies and since Pirri really can't be expecting to see much game time anyways, I wouldn't see where it would be much of a problem team chemistry-wise. Is also possible that Pirri would see the handwriting on the wall and just concentrate on his studies senior year, or that Young could come in 2015 if he or the coaches think getting more playing time (vs. sitting behind Stevens) would be a help. Regardless, I have confidence that the coaches will sort it out, particularly after seeing how well things worked out with the Laplante episode and a former 3rd string goalie becoming an All-American.

I agree that Tapp is a very important part of the coaching staff and has done a tremendous job with the goalies. I'm cautiously optimistic that Stevens will step up his game next season, as I thought he made real progress this past season and definitely has the talent. My worry is that he will have to be very good to make up for a much more inexperienced d-corps.
        UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
          It sounds pretty certain that Young isn't coming in the fall, especially if Bennett himself is saying they are looking for a backup. As for what happens with the roster, its not unheard of to have 4 goalies and since Pirri really can't be expecting to see much game time anyways, I wouldn't see where it would be much of a problem team chemistry-wise. Is also possible that Pirri would see the handwriting on the wall and just concentrate on his studies senior year, or that Young could come in 2015 if he or the coaches think getting more playing time (vs. sitting behind Stevens) would be a help. Regardless, I have confidence that the coaches will sort it out, particularly after seeing how well things worked out with the Laplante episode and a former 3rd string goalie becoming an All-American.

I agree that Tapp is a very important part of the coaching staff and has done a tremendous job with the goalies. I'm cautiously optimistic that Stevens will step up his game next season, as I thought he made real progress this past season and definitely has the talent. My worry is that he will have to be very good to make up for a much more inexperienced d-corps.
          Pirri? You guys poaching family members of our recruits again?

Comment

That whole scenario would make more sense with Leaman's ties to Maine and Bennett's to Providence. Bennett played and later assisted there.

Currently, Whitehead and the program are being "evaluated" at Maine though some think if he was going to be canned, it would have happened already.
            Tim-may's been canned. I'd post the link, but just the hooting and hollering from the Maine-iacs should tell you enough he's gone.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              Pirri? You guys poaching family members of our recruits again?
              I met him at a wedding a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                I met him at a wedding a few years ago.
                Dash. Underscore. Dash.

Comment

Voting open for this year's 7th player:

http://www.unionathletics.com/sb_output.aspx?form=23

Comment

Rick Bennett has been given a one-year extension that takes him through the 2019-2020 season. He was extended through 2018-2019 last year.

Comment

Rick Bennett has been given a one-year extension that takes him through the 2019-2020 season. He was extended through 2018-2019 last year.
                      Finally some good news in the offseason.

Comment

On the road to Pittsburgh, no dog in this fight so I'm not sure who I will be pulling for. Somehow I don't think the participants are waiting with baited breath for my decision
                        Last edited by Wholin1; 04-10-2013, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Was taking a look at the AHL transactions, and looks like one of your players is headed back to the big one... http://theahl.com/stats/transactions.php

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                            On the road to Pittsburgh, no dog in this fight so I'm not sure who I will be pulling for. Somehow I don't think the participants are waiting with baited breath for my decision
                            Not sure who I'm rooting for, either, but wouldn't it be something if there was an all-ECAC final?
                            Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                              Was taking a look at the AHL transactions, and looks like one of your players is headed back to the big one... http://theahl.com/stats/transactions.php
                              Nice...Keith has been up & down all year with Brodeur's injury. I wish that he had gotten a start or two when Hedberg was struggling.
                              Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Union has their new goaltender: http://pointstreak.com/prostats/play...&seasonid=9358

Comment

Working...
                                X