Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union Hockey Official off Season Thread: Can U Three Peat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union Hockey Official off Season Thread: Can U Three Peat?

Union defenseman Shayne Gostisbehere named the 6th best prospect in the Philadelphia Flyers organization: http://bit.ly/18ZiKnf

Former Union star Jeremy Welsh named the 7th best prospect in the Carolina Hurricanes organization: http://bit.ly/1959BwU

Comment

• Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
      Union defenseman Shayne Gostisbehere named the 6th best prospect in the Philadelphia Flyers organization: http://bit.ly/18ZiKnf

Former Union star Jeremy Welsh named the 7th best prospect in the Carolina Hurricanes organization: http://bit.ly/1959BwU
      I think the analysis for Ghost was fair. There are times where he tries to do too much, gets carried away with his skills and over handles the puck. All in all a minor complaint. FWIW I don't see him leaving Union this season, so far as next season, I have no idea. As a drafted player though, he has only one suitor unlike Welsh, Grosenick and Kinkaid who to an extent could play the field.

So far as Welsh, I didn't see him play more than a few minutes of his first pro season, but statistically it seemed fairly mundane. This is a huge season for him as it is the second of his two year deal.
      Last edited by Wholin1; 08-05-2013, 08:36 PM.

Comment

It's definitely a huge season for Welsh. Turning 26 next spring, he isn't a that much of a "young" prospect anymore.

As for him getting faster, I guess my main concern is how much faster someone can realistically get at that age? I'm no coach, but maybe someone here would know better.

Comment

Union picked up a new commitment for 2014-2015, Connor Light of the Omaha Lancers.

http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog....a-lancers-ushl

Comment

Video of Light from last season: http://vimeo.com/65455370

(#2 in navy blue)

Comment

• Originally posted by Dutchfan View Post
              Union picked up a new commitment for 2014-2015, Connor Light of the Omaha Lancers.

http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog....a-lancers-ushl
              Nice get. Big, fast, athletic kid who can really skate. Not the typical big guy who plays stay-at-home. Will be a difference maker for Union.
              Last edited by Vaportrail; 08-06-2013, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Defenseman Connor Light, the newly announced recruit, said Union was the "obvious" choice for him.

He reveals why and also what other schools Union beat out for his services:

http://bit.ly/USzLMD

Comment

Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
                  Defenseman Connor Light, the newly announced recruit, said Union was the "obvious" choice for him.

He reveals why and also what other schools Union beat out for his services:

http://bit.ly/USzLMD
                  As usual, I enjoyed your write-up Ryan! I'm looking forward to seeing more profiles like this one for future commitments.

I like everything I have seen about Connor so far. He looks to have all of the physical tools needed to be an elite defender in the ECAC, and I have no doubt he can reach that level of play with a little refining in his game during his year in the USHL. He can really move for a big kid, and his skating and agility is off the charts for someone his size. It's also comforting to see that the coaching staff is winning recruiting battles against the other upper echelon ECAC schools, especially over our rivals over in Troy.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchfan View Post
                    As usual, I enjoyed your write-up Ryan! I'm looking forward to seeing more profiles like this one for future commitments.

I like everything I have seen about Connor so far. He looks to have all of the physical tools needed to be an elite defender in the ECAC, and I have no doubt he can reach that level of play with a little refining in his game during his year in the USHL. He can really move for a big kid, and his skating and agility is off the charts for someone his size. It's also comforting to see that the coaching staff is winning recruiting battles against the other upper echelon ECAC schools, especially over our rivals over in Troy.
                    Definitely is great to hear a recruit say that the ECAC is a top ("if not the best") league and that U winning back-to-back league titles was a factor in the decision. Agree he looks very talented and will be interesting to see how he does in the USHL next season. Nice to see a BIG defenseman with skills, and from the Boston area no less. Overall, I would say that the last 4-5 recruits we've heard of all have big upside.. U's success may just be helping.

..and not to steal rdf's thunder, but he has the scoop on the volunteer assistant coach to replace Joel Beal. Looks like a another good addition.
                    http://unionhockeynews.blogspot.com/...assistant.html
                    UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchfan View Post

This kid looks like a potential blue chipper. Great work by Jason Tapp and Joe Dumais. I can tell you that no one works harder than these two young men in bringing great student athletes to the Union program.

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
                        ..and not to steal rdf's thunder, but he has the scoop on the volunteer assistant coach to replace Joel Beal. Looks like a another good addition.
                        http://unionhockeynews.blogspot.com/...assistant.html
                        I couldn't agree with you more. I've already heard excellent things about John Ronan. I think it speaks volumes about our program and coaching staff, that we can attract such a qualified staffer on a volunteer basis. I know that Joel Beal was thought of as much more than a "volunteer" in terms of his contributions to the program and hopefully John will be cut from the same cloth.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                          This kid looks like a potential blue chipper. Great work by Jason Tapp and Joe Dumais. I can tell you that no one works harder than these two young men in bringing great student athletes to the Union program.
                          Phillips Andover also knows Lighty as D1 lacrosse talent as well. He led prep lacrosse team in goals and scoring last two years. Don't think he has any interest in pursuing.

Comment

Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
                            You would think so, but that's not the case. I asked Bennett about it in March.

I wrote this within a piece in March:

Kinkaid isn't the only other recent Union player to have gone on to the pro ranks. Forward Kelly Zajac and defenseman Nolan Julseth-White are currently on American Hockey League rosters (Albany and Providence, respectively) while forward Jeremy Welsh is with Carolina in the National Hockey League.

That has to look impressive to potential recruits, right?

"I'd like to think it does help, but we've heard a lot of 'no' through our recruiting battles this year," Bennett said. "To say it has pushed over the edge in recruiting, I can't say that it has."
                            I think the Connor Light commitment proves Coach Bennett wrong. "Being back-to-back ECAC champions proves what Union is capable of and I just felt very comfortable with head coach Rick Bennett and his staff. [Union] is clearly a program that can develop players and push them to the next level, so I'm excited to have the opportunity to play for a proven program." -Connor Light. Hopefully this trend continues and we get some future blue-chippers in Schenectady.
                            Union College Hockey
                            2014 NCAA National Champions
                            2012, 2013, 2014 ECAC Champions

Comment

Originally posted by UnionFan4Life View Post
                              I think the Connor Light commitment proves Coach Bennett wrong. "Being back-to-back ECAC champions proves what Union is capable of and I just felt very comfortable with head coach Rick Bennett and his staff. [Union] is clearly a program that can develop players and push them to the next level, so I'm excited to have the opportunity to play for a proven program." -Connor Light. Hopefully this trend continues and we get some future blue-chippers in Schenectady.
                              I agree that this is a great sign, but shouldn't get too carried away quite yet. Light was not picked in the NHL draft and apparently neither of the schools with the word "Boston" in their name went after him, which is probably a battle that Union would have lost. His skill level and size are definitely very intriguing, but he is not a blue-chipper (yet) and his own self-assessment of being "raw" and needing more seasoning is spot on. But am very happy to see U win a recruiting battle over Yale & Cornell. He is also very much the typical Union/Bennett recruit; someone with a good skill package that needs help developing to their full potential. It's a good formula, because these type of kids usually stay 3-4 years instead of bolting after 1-2 like the high NHL draft picks that the "big programs" get.
                              UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
                                He is also very much the typical Union/Bennett recruit; someone with a good skill package that needs help developing to their full potential. It's a good formula, because these type of kids usually stay 3-4 years instead of bolting after 1-2 like the high NHL draft picks that the "big programs" get.
                                You are a very wise man. Union staff has been superb at identifying the "raw talent" that can develop and play Union hockey. Jeremy Welsh is perhaps the best case in point. Jeremy has credited Rick Bennett in finding, recruiting and believing in him. Rick, according to Jeremy, had to go to bat for him and convince Nate Leaman that he was a talent in the making. We all know how that turned out.

Comment

Working...
                                X