Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union Hockey Official off Season Thread: Can U Three Peat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
    I'm curious whether any other college players got snatched up out of these NHL development camps? If so or if it becomes a trend I could see the NCAA taking a look at changing the rules. I never understood how they let it pass anyway. I know the players are not under contract and pay their own way, but still, when you look at the Mickey Mouse stuff they crack down on it seems incongruous. Why not NFL or MLB development camps?

I am pretty po'd at Jooris the more I think about it. He let down his team and his coaches. All they asked of their kids was to let them know in time to not hurt the team. Welsh, Grosenick and Kinkaid all did so. Really selfish in my view.
    http://sbn.to/15hs4A3

Tony Turgeon of UNO left school earlier in July after attending Florida's D Camp.
    https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
    Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

• Re: Union Hockey Official off Season Thread: Can U Three Peat?

Recruiting class is announced http://www.unionathletics.com/news/2...801135120.aspx

Noah Henry is in this fall, so looks like Tyler Hynes will come in 2014. Probably makes sense given that Tyler had a bit of a tough transition in the USHL this past year. Also interesting that Bennett says Lichtenwald is a center (he had been listed as a wing). Given the lack of true centers on the team, he and Gonye may be given opportunities right off the bat.

You can also count me as shocked by Jooris leaving. He would have been the most skilled forward on the team and a likely leading scorer in the Simpson mold. His loss also leaves a huge hole at center. Novak is probably the top returning center on paper, but the makeup of the top two lines is much more in question now, specifically who to put with Carr and/or Wilkins. I'd be surprised if one of the freshmen centers are put in the top 2 lines and would not be surprised if one of the returning players is "converted" to center. I really don't see Ikkala or Roy having the hand skills to be on the top line.

I also wonder if the coaches will look at having Pontarelli come a year early. I find it interesting that a new (good) recruit from Cornwall is announced shortly after Jooris leaves, and you have to wonder how much Pontarelli will have to gain by another year in the CCHL. Jooris leaving definitely puts Vecchione in the mix for top 6, so could have Pontarelli learning the ropes on the 3rd line. Another skilled stick would give more depth to the PP too. This is all conjecture on my part, but I notice that Pontarelli tweets with the Spink brothers at Colgate so he should have a pretty good perspective on what it takes to make the jump to NCAA.
      UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
        I can tell you're not happy. I think this is the most blunt you've been on these forums.

I agree that it's a pretty lousy rule.

While the Union staff stressed telling them early, by all accounts this contract only came about through development camp earlier this month. You could argue he shouldn't have taken it as a courtesy to Union, knowing they would be hard pressed to recover so late in the summer. Then again, it's hard to pass up a professional contract, something that might be offered once in a lifetime. It's a tough situation all around.

The biggest issue is why college players are even allowed to attend NHL development camps without losing eligibility.
        It isn't just NHL camps, if I'm not mistaken, players can attend Major Jr. camps also without getting sideways with the NCAA.

I can't honestly see how you can be mad at Jooris. Yes, the timing stinks. By all accounts had a great camp and it sounds like the Flames told him the depth chart is wide open. There are no guarantees in this world - he could've returned for his senior year and blown his knee out in week 3.

You can disagree with his decision, but don't begrudge the kid for chasing the dream. Just my two pennies.
        ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Here's what I put together on the incoming recruits:

http://unionhockeynews.blogspot.com/...ecruiting.html

Capsules on each with insight from their previous coaches or Bennett.

Comment

2014-2015 recruit Roman Ammirato will play for Amarillo in the North American Hockey League in the upcoming season.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
              It isn't just NHL camps, if I'm not mistaken, players can attend Major Jr. camps also without getting sideways with the NCAA.

I can't honestly see how you can be mad at Jooris. Yes, the timing stinks. By all accounts had a great camp and it sounds like the Flames told him the depth chart is wide open. There are no guarantees in this world - he could've returned for his senior year and blown his knee out in week 3.

You can disagree with his decision, but don't begrudge the kid for chasing the dream. Just my two pennies.
              If anyone cares, I wish Josh well and hope his decision proves to be the right one for him. I agree that anything could happen and injury is always a possible issue. But just as that is not known, also unknown is if he might have had a spectacular senior year which could have materialized in a better deal and possibly more choices for him. In any event, water over the dam and under the bridge.

Comment

How could he have gotten a better deal?? That deal is pretty standard for entry level guys. Nice bonus, close to 200K and at least 80 per year plus potential nhl money
                You have to ask a kid, would you take 400K out of your account, play at Union or any school another year to maybe make 100-200 more(maybe)

I doubt you would take 400 out of your account and hope you had a spectacular deal.

deal or no deal... Bang the button, deal

Comment

My updated lineup prediction (after reading more in-depth on the recruits lol)

1: Carr---Novak---Wilkins
                  2: Hatch---Gonye---Vecchione
                  3: Ciampini---Bennett---Sullivan
                  4: Lichtenwald---Roy---Ikkala

D1: Bodie/Gingras
                  D2: Gostisbehere/Vasaturo
                  D3: Boyle/Taylor

G: Stevens, Sakellaropolous, Pieri

I believe Hatch has the most potential to be converted to center, based on speed and skating ability. There are some question marks with the offense lines, but it will be interesting to see how the coaching staff reconfigures the offensive lines. (Who knows, maybe Cruice or DiPauli have break-out years.) This team is very deep with defense, we should easily be a top defensive team again this year. Boyle will be on a very short leash as there are 3 other freshman D who will be hungry for playing time.
                  Union College Hockey
                  2014 NCAA National Champions
                  2012, 2013, 2014 ECAC Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                    If anyone cares, I wish Josh well and hope his decision proves to be the right one for him. I agree that anything could happen and injury is always a possible issue. But just as that is not known, also unknown is if he might have had a spectacular senior year which could have materialized in a better deal and possibly more choices for him. In any event, water over the dam and under the bridge.
                    Of course we care .. Hokydad is spot on in that a 2/2 FA deal doesn't get much better. He is 23 and in 2 years will be 25, which is getting older by NHL standards. My bet is the money was not the main factor, it was the opportunity to play no lower than the AHL and get a hard look to make the bigs. A lot of FAs signed after college get less than 2-year deals and never even make it to the AHL. I wish him the best of luck and thank him for his contributions to U's success the last 3 seasons.. though it does still suck .

Originally posted by UnionFan4Life View Post
                    My updated lineup prediction (after reading more in-depth on the recruits lol)

1: Carr---Novak---Wilkins
                    2: Hatch---Gonye---Vecchione
                    3: Ciampini---Bennett---Sullivan
                    4: Lichtenwald---Roy---Ikkala

D1: Bodie/Gingras
                    D2: Gostisbehere/Vasaturo
                    D3: Boyle/Taylor

G: Stevens, Sakellaropolous, Pieri

I believe Hatch has the most potential to be converted to center, based on speed and skating ability. There are some question marks with the offense lines, but it will be interesting to see how the coaching staff reconfigures the offensive lines. (Who knows, maybe Cruice or DiPauli have break-out years.) This team is very deep with defense, we should easily be a top defensive team again this year. Boyle will be on a very short leash as there are 3 other freshman D who will be hungry for playing time.
                    If Sullivan plays anywhere near like he did the last 2 months of last season, he will be top 6. Agree that Hatch could end up at center and will be interesting to see if Ciampini makes top 2 lines. IMO the 3rd line is the big question mark, if Vecchione is on the top 2 lines then are looking at some combo of Ciampini, Lichtenwald, Gonye, Roy, etc. I'm a big fan of Ikky and Coatta, and there are plenty of interchangable parts to have either a big physical or smaller fast 4th line. Overall the offense does not look as deep or explosive as it might have been with Jooris and the 2nd PP unit could be a little thin. There are also huge question marks on defense, where only Bodie and Ghost have played at least 2 full seasons, and in goal where Stevens will likely have to make some big saves behind a green D corps.
                    UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

In spite of losing Jooris to the pros , the loss to graduation and free agency for Grosenick, I am optimistic about next season. The departure of Jooris will focus the team starting now resulting in them rallying behind Stephens from day one, he will lead the way so to speak. Every player will have a greater sense of urgency and the learning curve for the inexperienced will be more of a team focus and accomplishment. No doubt there will be bumps and bruises but there will be surprises too, we will have home ice and like last year getting a bye will go down to the wire, but we will be in Lake Placid at the end.

Comment

Praise for 2014-2015 recruit Roman Ammirato and why local kid Tyler Hynes didn't come in as expected this year:

http://bit.ly/14qHTZL

Comment

• Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
                          Praise for 2014-2015 recruit Roman Ammirato and why local kid Tyler Hynes didn't come in as expected this year:

http://bit.ly/14qHTZL
                          Even discounting the hype every recruit generates, Ammirato sounds very good, plus he's from New Jersey !

Comment

Powell River Kings broadcaster Alex Rawnsley chats with incoming D Noah Henry -

http://bit.ly/16pWhPV

Reading between the lines, it sounds as if Henry coming a yr ahead of schedule may have had something to do w/ Jooris signing w/ Calgary.

Comment

Perhaps they were skittish that Ghost may be leaving in spite of all that was said about staying, it's tough to know what pressure is being applied behind the scenes contract wise. Hopefully Ghost will stay all 4 years and graduate on time.

Comment

If anyone is feeling down in the dumps, this is sure to cheer ya up:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BQ7l7FZCIAA6_Xn.jpg:large

(via @unionhockey)

Comment

Working...
                                X