Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union Hockey Official off Season Thread: Can U Three Peat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union Hockey Official off Season Thread: Can U Three Peat?

Wow,a real body blow. Didn't see this one coming. I hope it works out for him, but the money looks meager and he passes up on his degree, at least for now. This may seem like sour grapes but I really don't see him as NHL caliber.

Comment

Hello everybody, what is your lineup predictions now that Jooris is gone? Here's mine:

1: Carr---Ikkala---Wilkins
      2: Hatch---Novak---Sullivan
      3: Ciampini---Gonye---Cruice
      4: Lichtenwald---Roy---Hynes

D1: Bodie/Gingras
      D2: Gostisbehere/Vasaturo
      D3: Boyle/Krug

G: Stevens, Sakellaropolous, Pieri

-This team is kind of thin at the center position. One of the big question marks is who will be the #1 center with Jooris and Kyle Bodie gone. I don't see Cole or Roy as the answer, they are more of the grinder type, third or fourth line centers. As for now, Cole is my #1.
      -I really like the Hatch/Novak/Sullivan line and expect big things from them this year.
      -Carr and Wilkins need to step up and have big years.
      -I'm excited to see the 6'6'' Eli play with Roy and just destroy people.
      -This lineup seems to be bigger than last year.
      -The defense should be solid again, hopefully Boyle and one of the freshman step up so we have a solid 6. I'm happy with the top 4 though.
      -I can't stand Ciampini, he has zero puck handling skills and always loses the puck when he gets it. I hope one of the freshman wingers can replace him.
      Union College Hockey
      2014 NCAA National Champions
      2012, 2013, 2014 ECAC Champions

Comment

Originally posted by UnionFan4Life View Post
        Hello everybody, what is your lineup predictions now that Jooris is gone? Here's mine:

1: Carr---Ikkala---Wilkins
        2: Hatch---Novak---Sullivan
        3: Ciampini---Gonye---Cruice
        4: Lichtenwald---Roy---Hynes
        You might be pleasantly surprised with Mike Vecchione.
        The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
          You might be pleasantly surprised with Mike Vecchione.
          Pleasantly?? He will be top 2 lines

Also, Jeff Taylor will be a top 5 on D side.

Comment

Calgary Sun article on Flames rebuilding and Jooris.
            http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/07/31...-young-players
            ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
              Calgary Sun article on Flames rebuilding and Jooris.
              http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/07/31...-young-players
              As disappointing as it may be to college hockey fans, the trend toward signing college players with remaining eligibility is not likely to go away and I realistically think it will accelerate. The pros have little to lose by signing kids to deals like Jooris'. If he makes it they are ahead of the game if he doesn't they are out a relative pittance. I don't want to lose players, but by the same token, give me kids who want to be here. I'm happy to let the dice roll with those we have. It may be some tough sledding, but it will be easy to root for them.

Comment

On the positive side, it does say a lot about the coaching staff that they can find these players and develop them into something NHL teams want.

Comment

New recruit for 2014-2015 - Roman Ammirato out of the CCHL...

http://bit.ly/13o7ik3
                  Last edited by rdf8585; 07-31-2013, 07:43 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
                    New recruit for 2014-2015 - Roman Ammirato out of the CCHL...

http://bit.ly/13o7ik3
                    Helps to remove some of the disappointment over the past 24 hrs. He could be a good fit though a bit on the diminutive side.

Comment

The Jooris signing really took me by surprise. The timing being so late made me not-so-fondly remember when the Rangers signed SLU forward Brandon Dietrich, after his sophomore season and on Draft Day in June of '01. While today's news is a setback for the U, it is also a positive that the program now has players of Jooris' and Grosenik's caliber.

Good luck to the U this season and beyond.
                      GO SAINTS.

Comment

I'm curious whether any other college players got snatched up out of these NHL development camps? If so or if it becomes a trend I could see the NCAA taking a look at changing the rules. I never understood how they let it pass anyway. I know the players are not under contract and pay their own way, but still, when you look at the Mickey Mouse stuff they crack down on it seems incongruous. Why not NFL or MLB development camps?

I am pretty po'd at Jooris the more I think about it. He let down his team and his coaches. All they asked of their kids was to let them know in time to not hurt the team. Welsh, Grosenick and Kinkaid all did so. Really selfish in my view.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                          I'm curious whether any other college players got snatched up out of these NHL development camps? If so or if it becomes a trend I could see the NCAA taking a look at changing the rules. I never understood how they let it pass anyway. I know the players are not under contract and pay their own way, but still, when you look at the Mickey Mouse stuff they crack down on it seems incongruous. Why not NFL or MLB development camps?

I am pretty po'd at Jooris the more I think about it. He let down his team and his coaches. All they asked of their kids was to let them know in time to not hurt the team. Welsh, Grosenick and Kinkaid all did so. Really selfish in my view.
                          I can tell you're not happy. I think this is the most blunt you've been on these forums.

I agree that it's a pretty lousy rule.

While the Union staff stressed telling them early, by all accounts this contract only came about through development camp earlier this month. You could argue he shouldn't have taken it as a courtesy to Union, knowing they would be hard pressed to recover so late in the summer. Then again, it's hard to pass up a professional contract, something that might be offered once in a lifetime. It's a tough situation all around.

The biggest issue is why college players are even allowed to attend NHL development camps without losing eligibility.
                          Last edited by rdf8585; 07-31-2013, 09:42 PM.

Comment

LSSU lost Kyle Jean (after his sophomore season) in July of last year after he had a good summer camp with the Rangers, who subsequently signed him.

Comment

I agree with you 100%. On the bright side, I have a feeling we have a very strong recruiting class coming in and should be able to make some noise this year. Jooris, Welsh, Grosenick, and Kinkaid going to the AHL/NHL makes the school look good and hopefully more attractive for potential recruits.

On a side note, does anybody know when season tickets become available?
                              Union College Hockey
                              2014 NCAA National Champions
                              2012, 2013, 2014 ECAC Champions

Comment

Originally posted by UnionFan4Life View Post
                                Jooris, Welsh, Grosenick, and Kinkaid going to the AHL/NHL makes the school look good and hopefully more attractive for potential recruits.
                                You would think so, but that's not the case. I asked Bennett about it in March.

I wrote this within a piece in March:

Kinkaid isn't the only other recent Union player to have gone on to the pro ranks. Forward Kelly Zajac and defenseman Nolan Julseth-White are currently on American Hockey League rosters (Albany and Providence, respectively) while forward Jeremy Welsh is with Carolina in the National Hockey League.

That has to look impressive to potential recruits, right?

"I'd like to think it does help, but we've heard a lot of 'no' through our recruiting battles this year," Bennett said. "To say it has pushed over the edge in recruiting, I can't say that it has."

Comment

Working...
                                X