Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union Hockey Official off Season Thread: Can U Three Peat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union Hockey Official off Season Thread: Can U Three Peat?

Pontarelli staying in Cornwall next season.

http://www.standard-freeholder.com/2...ing-with-colts
    ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

I never heard anyone from the program talking about MP coming a year early. As the article mentions, the Spinks and Laliberte played additional seasons for the same team and are no slouches. I think there may have be other factors in play as well, such as the family angle. I will just be happy to see him walk on campus in Schenectady next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
        I never heard anyone from the program talking about MP coming a year early. As the article mentions, the Spinks and Laliberte played additional seasons for the same team and are no slouches. I think there may have be other factors in play as well, such as the family angle. I will just be happy to see him walk on campus in Schenectady next year.
        It really does depend on each individual, the style of game they play, and how well they adapt to moving to college etc. I'm sure the RPI folks will correct me if I'm wrong, but seemed like Laliberte struggled a bit his freshman year. He "only" had 14 points and seemed to fade as the season went along.. certainly wasn't the dynamic point producer he was in juniors. Obviously he had a really nice season this past year and looks to be a more major offensive force going forward. I'm hoping that MP will be more like the Spinks or Matthew Peca, who also came straight from the CCHL/CJHL and put up major points. U is really going to have a big void offensively when Carr/Jooris/Bodie graduate and would be nice to have a couple freshmen that could put up 20+ points.

My concern is that Pontarelli hasn't really operated outside his comfort zone in preps or juniors (BTW, his numbers at St. Marks were RIDICULOUS - he had like over 80 goals in something like 54 games) and that a move to a tougher league farther from home would help his transition to the NCAA. MP is lot more like Laliberte than the Spinks; approximately the same size and from Quebec, which can be a bit of a cultural transition to US college. Also concerned that he was kicked out of St. Marks and will have to adjust to an academically rigorous school. As comparison, I'll be interested to see how Vecchione does after coming off 2 seasons in the USHL. I will ultimately agree with Wholin that I can't wait to see him at U regardless and I think his potential is off the charts.
        UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

the Pontarelli/Laliberte comparisons really are, "mirror-like". The biggest adjustment Lali had to make was the physicality of D-1 hockey.....suffering a broken finger that Fr. year was a huge set-back for a player of his caliber. Would've been nice to see the 2 of them compete against each other for more than 1 year.
          Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Charlie Vasaturo, injured late in the season, is back on the ice.

With three veteran defenseman gone, Vasaturo could play an important role next year. He was coming into his own before the injury.

Comment

Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
              Charlie Vasaturo, injured late in the season, is back on the ice.

With three veteran defenseman gone, Vasaturo could play an important role next year. He was coming into his own before the injury.
              That is great news and hope Charlie comes back at full strength. Agree that he was playing very well when he got hurt. I don't know what his injury was but from seeing him on crutches in AC it looked pretty serious. He is absolutely one of the keys for next season to be a success. If he can be a 4th solid d-man with Bodie, Ghost & Gingras it will take pressure off of the freshmen and Boyle. He's also the biggest d-man in a group that could be rather undersized if Taylor gets major icetime as expected. Which is actually one of the other keys.. Bodie and Ghost need to hit the weights & the protein shakes this summer and add 10-15 pounds of muscle. Having 3 d-men 165-170# could be trouble..
              UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Charlie looked great at the golf tournament last month. I think our D is generally undersized and needs to compensate with speed, agility and smarts. Hoping to see Ghost put on 20 lbs could be a mixed blessing if the Flyers take notice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                  Charlie looked great at the golf tournament last month. I think our D is generally undersized and needs to compensate with speed, agility and smarts. Hoping to see Ghost put on 20 lbs could be a mixed blessing if the Flyers take notice.
                  No chance he is putting on 20 lbs or for that matter 15
                  Maybe 7 or 8, maybe.. He will get wider as he gets older not from drinking shakes
                  He is fine and least of the teams worries.

Comment

The 2013-2014 schedule poster came out today:

http://media.tumblr.com/4ff8df49e930...7Oo1qz4rgp.jpg

Slick.
                    Last edited by rdf8585; 06-27-2013, 12:04 PM.

Comment

More insight from Cornwall on Pontarelli - pretty good read... http://www.standard-freeholder.com/2...for-pontarelli

Some great quotes from Pontarelli's coach, Ian MacInnis.

Comment

Found this quote on Pontarelli's time at Muskegon's tryout camp :http://blog.insidemuskegonlumberjack...&max-results=7

Michael Pontarelli (5th Round Pick at 63rd Overall – USHL Phase 2 Draft) – The first that would probably come to everyone’s mind is offense with this guy, and I don’t blame you after the stats he put up with the Cornwall Colts of the Central Canadian Hockey League that led him to being the Most Valuable Player. However, Pontarelli does have a defensive side to his game as I have seen numerous times so far during camp. Pontarelli possesses a Pavel Datsyuk-like back-check where he his stick lifting ability to strip the puck on the defensive end is second-to-none. A smoother skater, the Quebec native just finds a way to get the puck on net and his stickhandling is first rate (reminds me of Lumberjacks Forward Frederik Tiffels to a certain extent).

Comment

Probably not a good sign for Keith Kinkaid that Devils traded for Cory Schneider.

Comment

Brock Matheson and T.J Fox are on the move: http://t.co/cjMxF4cMRd

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                              Probably not a good sign for Keith Kinkaid that Devils traded for Cory Schneider.
                              That's a pretty damaging blow. As long as he's in NJ, hard to imagine him ever becoming more of a backup with Schneider the long-term guy.

Also of interest, Philly took a defenseman 11th overall, Samuel Morin.

Comment

• Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
                                That's a pretty damaging blow. As long as he's in NJ, hard to imagine him ever becoming more of a backup with Schneider the long-term guy.

Also of interest, Philly took a defenseman 11th overall, Samuel Morin.
                                Schneider only has two years left on his contract so there is still hope for Kinkaid as he's at least one more year away fr being NHL ready.

Comment

Working...
                                X