• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gwoz Resigns from DU?

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
    This isn't just some April fool's joke?

Maybe Gwoz really wants that UAA job...
    I actually want this to happen, because it would be so funny.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

I am absolutely shocked by this and he gets fired on April Fools day.
      Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
      Eric's Twitter
      The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
        I thought it was the poorest since Magness opened. I'm not sure if we packed the house even once. There were too many sub-4,000 games...
        DU's attendance was decent-11th in the country. Here is Nos. 10-15 attendance and the percentage of capacity filled. Overall it's respectable, but not like it was right after the championship seasons.

Michigan 5357 80.7
        Denver 5269 87.4
        Mass.-Lowell 5246 80.8
        Notre Dame 4885 97.3
        Boston U 4527 71.9

Comment

• Originally posted by Pablo View Post
          DU's attendance was decent-11th in the country. Here is Nos. 10-15 attendance and the percentage of capacity filled. Overall it's respectable, but not like it was right after the championship seasons.

Michigan 5357 80.7
          Denver 5269 87.4
          Mass.-Lowell 5246 80.8
          Notre Dame 4885 97.3
          Boston U 4527 71.9
          Reported numbers and how many are actually there can be different. We would just laugh when a sellout was announced yet the place was 3/4 full. Were you at all the games? I certainly was and attendance announcements were the butt of many jokes this year.

Comment

Most of the games that I went to, the announced figure seemed fairly close to reality. But I didn't go to some of the games vs. the poorer-draw opponents. In any case, DU is probably not the only school on that list with some of those discrepancies.

That said...it seems that the early and disappointing exits from the NCAA tournament killed some of the momentum that the championship seasons generated. Not exactly a boon for season ticket sales when you lose in the first round in 5 of the past 6 seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo View Post
              Most of the games that I went to, the announced figure seemed fairly close to reality. But I didn't go to some of the games vs. the poorer-draw opponents. In any case, DU is probably not the only school on that list with some of those discrepancies.

That said...it seems that the early and disappointing exits from the NCAA tournament killed some of the momentum that the championship seasons generated. Not exactly a boon for season ticket sales when you lose in the first round in 5 of the past 6 seasons.
              On the bright side, maybe next season I'll be able to get better seats.

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
                ha ha, you are probably right!

Comment

• Originally posted by duper View Post
                  Did you go to the "select-a-seat" or whatever they call it? If not, do it this year and get there early to get yourself a seat you like better.

I think they still do this...

Comment

If they "couldn't agree on a contract", that pretty much means Gwozdecky felt he was worth more than what DU was willing to pay, and/or wanted another long-term contract that would take him all the way to retirement in another decade. AD is probably looking at his recent string of first-round exits and countering with a 3-4 year extension at the same or slightly higher salary + benefits.

If he coaches again, no way does he take anything but a plum job. Rumor had it for some time that his salary + benefits & incentives were worth over $500,000/yr. He's made too much money, and been too successful for too long, to sell himself short at the age of 59.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      If he coaches again, no way does he take anything but a plum job. Rumor had it for some time that his salary + benefits & incentives were worth over $500,000/yr. He's made too much money, and been too successful for too long, to sell himself short at the age of 59.
                      That's how I see it.
                      Talk of him going out east to an ECAC team doesn't seem likely to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                        Did you go to the "select-a-seat" or whatever they call it? If not, do it this year and get there early to get yourself a seat you like better.

I think they still do this...
                        They do. The tickets this year were a birthday gift, bought very shortly before the season started, so it's no shocker that my seats were less than dynamite. My name is on the account though, so next year I pay the bill, and I will be able to do the select-a-seat. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

While I'm sure Gwoz wanted a raise, I don't think that was a deal breaker. It seems to me that there were more important reasons.

1. Lack of success at the NCAA's. rightly or wrongly.
                          2. Not a dominant team even though theoretically they had dominant talent.Depending on who you listen to.
                          3. Too many other issues, ie the players might not really like him all that much.
                          4. unrealistic views of what is acceptable success by the DU AD.

If you remember two years ago, the rumor was DU was thinking the attendance problems were related to who they played and defending the brand.
                          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Would have never happened if Jack McDonald was still AD. He sticks by his people. Of course that goes back a long long ways

I think the DU administration are nuts. Just nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo View Post
                              ha ha, you are probably right!
                              They'll still probably raise ticket prices.
                              Denver Pioneers - NCAA ICE HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS - 1958, 60, 61, 68, 69, 2004, 05, 2017

2016-17 Penrose Cup Champions

YEARS SINCE LAST COLORADO COLLEGE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP - 61...and counting

Chicago Cubs - WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS - 1907, 1908, 2016

Chicago Blackhawks - STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS - 1934, 1938, 1961, 2010, 2013, 2015

Manchester City F.C. - Premier League/First Division Winners - 1937, 1968, 2012, 2014.

RIP Butch

sigpic
                              www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

Originally posted by William Blake View Post
                                Well, there you go, I guess. Despite having pretty solid teams they can't get anyone to come to the games. Must have though it the was the coach's fault and that a new guy would "shake things up".

I suggest giving me free tickets next year. They could win me over for sure. Bring that up to 26 fans.
                                I think part of it is that they charge too much for college hockey. They need to lower ticket prices.
                                Denver Pioneers - NCAA ICE HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS - 1958, 60, 61, 68, 69, 2004, 05, 2017

2016-17 Penrose Cup Champions

YEARS SINCE LAST COLORADO COLLEGE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP - 61...and counting

Chicago Cubs - WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS - 1907, 1908, 2016

Chicago Blackhawks - STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS - 1934, 1938, 1961, 2010, 2013, 2015

Manchester City F.C. - Premier League/First Division Winners - 1937, 1968, 2012, 2014.

RIP Butch

sigpic
                                www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

Working...
                                X