PDA

View Full Version : Gwoz Resigns from DU?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

Runsub5
04-12-2013, 08:43 PM
The prevailing "wisdom" is that DU has concluded interviews, will make its selection over the weekend, and announce it as early as Monday.

Maine doesn't have a search committee yet.

dxmnkd316
04-12-2013, 08:50 PM
As a Minnesota fan, I'll tell you this: If your AD has to hire a search committee, it's time to hire a new AD.

I mean cripes, you don't fire one of the best coaches in all of college hockey unless you have a plan.

4four4
04-12-2013, 09:29 PM
Jason Zucker still getting press.
JZ is just one of those players who draws interest and fan favor by his still of play. Simply electrifying.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=665449&navid=nhl:topheads

Still getting press? This guy has a great future.

Old Pio
04-12-2013, 09:29 PM
As a Minnesota fan, I'll tell you this: If your AD has to hire a search committee, it's time to hire a new AD.

I mean cripes, you don't fire one of the best coaches in all of college hockey unless you have a plan.

The "committee" is mega-millionaire Dan Ritchie and whoever is holding his coat. And you're exactly right about "having a plan." That has led many well connected DU Pioneer fans to conclude that this firing had been in the works for some time. And was less a product of NC$$ tournament early outs (with which the Gophers are familiar) and more to do with unresolved contract negotiations or Gwoz' flirtation with Ohio State. I pointed out in a post that if that flirtation was part of the reason he was fired, and if DU had been reaching out to test the waters with other coaches, they would be about to hire a guy who committed the same "sin" as Gwoz. But as far as transparency is concerned, the College of Cardinals ain't got nothin' on the DU Board of Trustees. Somebody posted on the blog about waiting for a puff of white smoke over the Ritchie Center, that's about it.

I'll repeat my opinion: this was a horrible decision, for the wrong reasons and badly handled.

4four4
04-12-2013, 09:32 PM
The "committee" is mega-millionaire Dan Ritchie and whoever is holding his coat. And you're exactly right about "having a plan." That has led many well connected DU Pioneer fans to conclude that this firing had been in the works for some time. And was less a product of NC$$ tournament early outs (with which the Gophers are familiar) and more to do with unresolved contract negotiations or Gwoz' flirtation with Ohio State. I pointed out in a post that if that flirtation was part of the reason he was fired, and if DU had been reaching out to test the waters with other coaches, they would be about to hire a guy who committed the same "sin" as Gwoz.

I'll repeat my opinion: this was a horrible decision, for the wrong reasons and badly handled.

From what I have been told the DU admin got sick and tired of always having to bend over to Gwoz contract demands every year.

Old Pio
04-12-2013, 09:54 PM
From what I have been told the DU admin got sick and tired of always having to bend over to Gwoz contract demands every year.

Really? What's your source for that? There had been ongoing negotiations to extend the contract he signed years ago. But that's not quite "always having to bend over" for his contract demands "every year" is it?

4four4
04-12-2013, 11:41 PM
Really? What's your source for that? There had been ongoing negotiations to extend the contract he signed years ago. But that's not quite "always having to bend over" for his contract demands "every year" is it?

Every year or so a new job opening would open up and he would threaten to leave for more money. Ie. Wisconsin and Ohio State. I can't fault him for that. I also see why the DU admin might get sick of it.

Old Pio
04-12-2013, 11:48 PM
Every year or so a new job opening would open up and he would threaten to leave for more money. Ie. Wisconsin and Ohio State. I can't fault him for that. I also see why the DU admin might get sick of it.

You're either trolling or badly informed. Which? You are seriously begging the question here.

BigBossMan
04-14-2013, 03:23 PM
Consider the source. This is the same guy who fantasized that DU fans were ripping on Jason Zucker. Who passive aggressively suggested the DU fans who like to "whine and moan" will have plenty to keep them happy next season.

Are you talking about this quote from MagnessMan?

I know taking shots at one of the teams biggest talents isn't going to make me very popular on the boards. Actually, I never have been and I'm not going to start striving for that now. First off, I'd agree you BBM that he's most likely one of the most talented kid on the team (this is a big honor on team a as talented as the Pios are) The whole team was clutching their sticks while Beau was out. We played like crap against Tech and UMD. When Beau returned everyone seemed to relax and get back to their ability level accept for Jason. He continues to clutch his stick. I didn't say anything about his work ethic. I think this season he is not playing to his ability level. He is holding the puck too long and staying out on the ice much longer than he should. Last year, when he was taking stupid penalties (which he has a tendency to do) coach sat him down for a good part of a game. I think it was very effective in getting his attention. So far this season IMO Beau is smoking him in effectiveness. I think Jason can rebound but I think it will take some redirection from the coaching staff. He's showing signs of immaturity and I think Gwoz can help him. I know a lot of people will think I'm crazy for saying all this. I saw him be way more effective on the ice last year, versus what I've seen so far this year.

Last edited by MagnessMan; 11-21-2011 at 07:47 PM.

I think you're being a little harsh to MM. Aren't we all Pioneer fans? Well, those that actually show up for hockey games. Those that sit home and just whine and moan aren't really fans now are they? I've got two words for them. But you already know that.
:p

The Rube
04-15-2013, 12:55 AM

Closer to the truth than it appears.

Edit: Old Pio: it was more of a constant "pay me" by Gwoz that the admin was sick of.

Old Pio
04-15-2013, 01:18 AM
Are you talking about this quote from MagnessMan?

I know taking shots at one of the teams biggest talents isn't going to make me very popular on the boards. Actually, I never have been and I'm not going to start striving for that now. First off, I'd agree you BBM that he's most likely one of the most talented kid on the team (this is a big honor on team a as talented as the Pios are) The whole team was clutching their sticks while Beau was out. We played like crap against Tech and UMD. When Beau returned everyone seemed to relax and get back to their ability level accept for Jason. He continues to clutch his stick. I didn't say anything about his work ethic. I think this season he is not playing to his ability level. He is holding the puck too long and staying out on the ice much longer than he should. Last year, when he was taking stupid penalties (which he has a tendency to do) coach sat him down for a good part of a game. I think it was very effective in getting his attention. So far this season IMO Beau is smoking him in effectiveness. I think Jason can rebound but I think it will take some redirection from the coaching staff. He's showing signs of immaturity and I think Gwoz can help him. I know a lot of people will think I'm crazy for saying all this. I saw him be way more effective on the ice last year, versus what I've seen so far this year.

Last edited by MagnessMan; 11-21-2011 at 07:47 PM.

I think you're being a little harsh to MM. Aren't we all Pioneer fans? Well, those that actually show up for hockey games. Those that sit home and just whine and moan aren't really fans now are they? I've got two words for them. But you already know that.
:p

One post from a year and half ago validates your generalizations that DU fans "whine and moan?" Implicitly all that's necessary to be a "good" DU fan is to live up to the rules and regulations established by you? And rule #1 is to never, ever whisper a discouraging word about any DU player. Any criticism, no matter how mild or accurate, or well intended, is forbidden.

Who in h*ll is it who claims to be a DU fan yet spends the vast majority of his time here totaling up various high crimes and misdemeanors he claims are made by other DU fans? And by extension congratulating himself on his "purity" as a DU fan? Why you, bunky. That's who. Just a teensy bit arrogant, no? And let's be candid here, shall we? You've been known to engage in slanderous commentary about other DU fans (and were warned by USCHO.com that you faced permanent banishment if you kept it up), so your standards aren't quite as high as you imply. And going to the games doesn't qualify you for canonization, either.

Old Pio
04-15-2013, 01:20 AM
Closer to the truth than it appears.

Edit: Old Pio: it was more of a constant "pay me" by Gwoz that the admin was sick of.

I guess Mitch McConnell isn't the only one whose meetings are bugged.

gfmorris
04-15-2013, 02:02 PM
Osiecki informed at 0800 that he's out at tOSU (http://www.uscho.com/2013/04/15/osiecki-out-at-ohio-state-over-difference-of-opinion-over-the-management-of-the-program/). Let's start a pool on when this week Gwoz will be named the next coach of the Buckeyes. I want Wednesday at 11am Eastern.

GFM

duper
04-15-2013, 02:12 PM
Osiecki informed at 0800 that he's out at tOSU (http://www.uscho.com/2013/04/15/osiecki-out-at-ohio-state-over-difference-of-opinion-over-the-management-of-the-program/). Let's start a pool on when this week Gwoz will be named the next coach of the Buckeyes. I want Wednesday at 11am Eastern.

GFMI suspect that if it hasn't happened by Wednesday, it isn't happening. The timing is interesting. It's just about the right amount of time to talk to him, work out the basis of a deal, and have him already in the pocket before firing the current guy. Or, it might be coincidence. Neither way will surprise me at all.

Stauber1
04-15-2013, 03:40 PM
It is being speculated that Osiecki was demanding greater institutional support for the program and that may have played into OSU's decision.
I have absolutely no knowledge about that, but if there is any truth to that speculation it's hard to imagine that OSU would be in a position to persuade Gwozdecky to take the job.

Hockeybuckeye
04-15-2013, 05:11 PM
So when was it known and how among you guys about Gwoz having any interest in or contact with Ohio State? It hit us out of the blue today about Oz's firing, we had no idea this was coming.

Pigfarmer
04-15-2013, 05:31 PM
It is being speculated that Osiecki was demanding greater institutional support for the program and that may have played into OSU's decision.
I have absolutely no knowledge about that, but if there is any truth to that speculation it's hard to imagine that OSU would be in a position to persuade Gwozdecky to take the job.
The quotes I have seen indicate to me that Osiecki was canned out of the blue--- that there was no dialogue ..... So nothing to do with anything that he may have wanted

Old Pio
04-15-2013, 05:37 PM

I don't what's going in Columbus either. But the phrase "institutional support" is flexible. And what may seem insufficient at OSU may be overwhelming at CC. Plus, I'm familiar with situations where a current coach complains, is fired and is replaced by a guy who gets what the first guy wanted.

The Buckeyes could certainly do a lot worse than George Gwozdecky.

Hockeybuckeye
04-15-2013, 05:44 PM
I don't what's going in Columbus either. But the phrase "institutional support" is flexible. And what may seem insufficient at OSU may be overwhelming at CC. Plus, I'm familiar with situations where a current coach complains, is fired and is replaced by a guy who gets what the first guy wanted.

The Buckeyes could certainly do a lot worse than George Gwozdecky.I thought we had a good coach with Oz and OSU again shows their lack of concern for the program by pulling this move which could be a MAJOR setback going into the first B1G season. I hope both your and my teams come out right in the end with their coaches.

BassAle
04-15-2013, 05:47 PM
Gwoz was quoted in a couple local papers that he is interested in the Maine job and the real draw is the fan support. Doesn't seem likely that he would end up here.