Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gwoz Resigns from DU?

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
    For those who know Puck Swami, he makes a cameo appearance and has a brief comment on the situation in the comment section at the end.
    He lives!
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
      Anyone here with an ear in the DU athletic offices have any confirmation of the rumor floated on the internet that DU was in talks to hire now BU head coach David Quinn before the NCAA tournament?
      Yes. No. Yes. Yes.

Yes I heard the rumor several days ago.

No it did not come from university of denver athletics sources.

Yes the rumor came out of Boston via Denver.

Yes I believe it.

http://letsgodu.blogspot.com/2013/04...-athletic.html

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
        Yes. No. Yes. Yes.

Yes I heard the rumor several days ago.

No it did not come from university of denver athletics sources.

Yes the rumor came out of Boston via Denver.

Yes I believe it.

http://letsgodu.blogspot.com/2013/04...-athletic.html
        Interesting. The kid's been right before, but also has floated some incorrect or very incomplete information. I assume it's safe to say their pursuit of Quinn is over?

From your linked blog post, the DU staffer is quoted as saying no result from the regional weekend would've changed their mind - say he makes the FF, they're not going to fire a coach who is taking his team to the FF, what if he wins the whole shebang? You're going to fire the national championship winning head coach? What if he just gets his team there and loses in the semi or championship game? You're going to fire the coach of a Frozen Four team? Has that ever happened?

I feel very sorry for all of you who are fans of a program run by a bunch of garbage cans for administrators.
        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Well, there is now an opening for AD at Rutgers...with a move to the Big 10 he could fill that post, add hockey, and be back behind the bench in two years.

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
            Interesting. The kid's been right before, but also has floated some incorrect or very incomplete information. I assume it's safe to say their pursuit of Quinn is over?

From your linked blog post, the DU staffer is quoted as saying no result from the regional weekend would've changed their mind - say he makes the FF, they're not going to fire a coach who is taking his team to the FF, what if he wins the whole shebang? You're going to fire the national championship winning head coach? What if he just gets his team there and loses in the semi or championship game? You're going to fire the coach of a Frozen Four team? Has that ever happened?

I feel very sorry for all of you who are fans of a program run by a bunch of garbage cans for administrators.
            No one at DU is willing to answer the Frozen Four scenarios.

DU is very confident that they can hit a homerun with the new hire. They claim that money isn't and won't be an issue and they will spend whatever it takes to bring in a winner.

We all know elite college programs in all sports are built recruiting bluechippers. Hockey is unique, because of the three-year lagtime between most verbal commitments and the first day on campus. So if there's a hiccup in the recruiting pipeline DU is going to be in big, big trouble.

For now DU is keeping both assistants. If they can bring in a big name with NHL ties, retain the assistants [who are some of the best in the business] DU might just pull themselves out of the fire.

Collateral damage to season ticket sales, Gwozdecky's former player involvement, fans of the program, alumni donations and respect in the community remains to be seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
              Well, there is now an opening for AD at Rutgers...with a move to the Big 10 he could fill that post, add hockey, and be back behind the bench in two years.
              All kidding aside. Gwozdecky could be a very successful AD, coach, teacher or even president of a university. His organizational skills are top 1%.

Comment

Originally posted by bunt_q View Post
                They said they are going to try and get her on again tomorrow morning. And after the treatment she got today - basically, "we don't care what you have to say, but you'd better something." She'll show up. She has to.
                Well........ has the Hyphen appeared, responded, put forth an explanation yet? Did she show up on KOA 850 this morning? That would be No, no, no and no. She and the entire DU Administration are completely pi55ing on the DU fanbase's heads. The fanbase that fanatically supports the team, buys the season tickets, buys the hockey sweaters, bring the kids to the games, supports the concessions stands etc.

You all deserve better, much better. They canned one of the best 3 or 4 D-1 hockey coaches in the nation on Monday. Boom! It's now Friday. Dead freakin' silence. Really??? No comment??? This is just shy of gross negligence. If DU haven't made a public statement by now, when do you folks suppose they will? Next week? Next month? Nope. There's nothing you all can do to change this stunningly incompetent decision, but you sure as hell can turn the heat up, make noise and demand some VALID statement of explanation. College hockey fans from Hockey East to Alabama-Huntsville to Anchorage-Alaska are talking, reading, blogging about this. National attention. It may be a private university, but without the fans, there is NO PROGRAM.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleA View Post
                  It may be a private university, but without the fans, there is NO PROGRAM.
                  Exactly.

Being a small, private university in the middle of plenty-to-do-Denver, DU must rely on the casual hockey fan more so than other schools. Among the local DU staff/students/alumni, only a percentage like sports and even a smaller percentage like hockey. Most of the season ticket holders sitting near me have no ties to DU. A very large number of those who purchased single games definitely do not. I have no idea how many of the season ticket holders will bolt if DU slides in their product they sell, but I would have to assume quite a bit. They have enough turnover as it is. I'm lucky I have quite a number of options for my leisure dollars here in Denver. I have TONS of sports, and plenty of hockey (even if the Cutthroats fold). I enjoy hockey and for the time being, my dollars are staying. I cannot say that for anyone else though.

Comment

The fanbase that fanatically supports the team
                    Whoa, Whoa, Whoa, lets not go overboard here.
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                      Sound like BS to me, bb. Pretty sure JackPa leaving was no surprise at all to BU, that they had plenty of time to hire Quinn. I have no inside knowledge from anywhere, but I'd be surprised if he wasn't pretty much locked up by New Year's, but BU waited for the proper time to announce JackPa's pending retirement, and then an appropriate amount of time to introduce Quinn. Sounds like web conspiracies from internet nutcases.
                      It was not a surprise -- Jackie even admitted in his retirement press "tour" that he intended to retire last year, but changed course following the sex/wilding/drinky-drunky scandal last year. He decided to stay another year to attempt to calm the waters. I have no doubt that Quinn was the heir apparent and knew it last year.
                      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                        Whoa, Whoa, Whoa, lets not go overboard here.
                        Um hmmm, as opposed to the wildly fanatical and huge following that Michigan Tech has...Don't balloons and confetti fall from the rafters when you get 2,500 people to attend a game?

Comment

Well........ has the Hyphen appeared, responded, put forth an explanation yet? Did she show up on KOA 850 this morning? That would be No, no, no and no. She and the entire DU Administration are completely pi55ing on the DU fanbase's heads. The fanbase that fanatically supports the team, buys the season tickets, buys the hockey sweaters, bring the kids to the games, supports the concessions stands etc.

You all deserve better, much better. They canned one of the best 3 or 4 D-1 hockey coaches in the nation on Monday. Boom! It's now Friday. Dead freakin' silence. Really??? No comment??? This is just shy of gross negligence. If DU haven't made a public statement by now, when do you folks suppose they will? Next week? Next month? Nope. There's nothing you all can do to change this stunningly incompetent decision, but you sure as hell can turn the heat up, make noise and demand some VALID statement of explanation. College hockey fans from Hockey East to Alabama-Huntsville to Anchorage-Alaska are talking, reading, blogging about this. National attention. It may be a private university, but without the fans, there is NO PROGRAM.
                          They'll make a comment... once they've announced who the new coach will be.

They made their decision; what more do you want? If you can't support the team just because a coach was sacked, don't support them.

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo View Post
                            Um hmmm, as opposed to the wildly fanatical and huge following that Michigan Tech has...Don't balloons and confetti fall from the rafters when you get 2,500 people to attend a game?
                            I don't believe we were talking about Michigan Tech...you must be confused, I suspect that is quite normal.
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                              I don't believe we were talking about Michigan Tech...you must be confused, I suspect that is quite normal.
                              You seem to be a little obsessed with DU, so I thought you might want to talk about your own program for a change. But I guess not.

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo View Post
                                Well, during Final Fives where Denver is present and Michigan Tech is not, there are more likely more Michigan Tech fans in the Xcel.
                                Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                                What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Working...
                                X