Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gwoz Resigns from DU?

Originally posted by Pablo View Post
    But my own thought, is that if you're making the tournament every year, and if you have the talent that DU has had, and if you have the decent seedings that DU has had, and if you have a well-paid and good coach at the helm, you should expect to make it to the Frozen Four once every three or four years.
    You might actually have something here. The way the administration at DU has been acting, I think they either need to be winners year in and year out, or play those PC games where nobody loses.

Comment

Originally posted by bunt_q View Post
      So everyone who's looking for a better explanation, we're all just morons, eh? It really must be nice to know everything. Can you tell us what it's like to be so brilliant? Or would your explanation just sail over our heads?
      It's either performance ... which has a poor basis (with the exception of Pablo's recent post) and has been thoroughly "debunked" in this thread OR it's about the second reason given. The inability to negotiate a contract i.e... money. The "money" angle is what has been discussed since the performance issue was quite rightly set aside. If you think it was about something other than those two things then say so. Don't call yourself a moron.

Comment

Originally posted by COHockey View Post
        You might actually have something here. The way the administration at DU has been acting, I think they either need to be winners year in and year out, or play those PC games where nobody loses.
        I think the administration at DU is probably reading this thread and looking for the best explanation that comes out of it before they go to the media and explain it for themselves. I half expect to see Pablo's post quoted word-for-word in tomorrow's paper.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
          It's either performance ... which has a poor basis (with the exception of Pablo's recent post) and has been thoroughly "debunked" in this thread OR it's about the second reason given. The inability to negotiate a contract i.e... money. The "money" angle is what has been discussed since the performance issue was quite rightly set aside. If you think it was about something other than those two things then say so. Don't call yourself a moron.
          Weren't you the one going with the "he's difficult to work with, and a bit of a dick" theory? That's neither of those two. So that's at least three possibilities. Point is, it's not something we should be left to speculate about. Just tell us.

Comment

I think the administration at DU is probably reading this thread and looking for the best explanation that comes out of it before they go to the media and explain it for themselves. I half expect to see Pablo's post quoted word-for-word in tomorrow's paper.
            Noooo!!! I do not give them permission. They need to come up with their own lame answers.

Comment

Weren't you the one going with the "he's difficult to work with, and a bit of a dick" theory? That's neither of those two. So that's at least three possibilities. Point is, it's not something we should be left to speculate about. Just tell us.
              SSshhhhh!!!!! Don't point out that he changed his story in mid-stream. It will confuse his brain. Of course, his sense of staggering superiority will remain perfectly intact. He will most likely give you a nice lesson on the use of the English language. After all, internet bloggers who are so pathetic that they get dumped by the little-known University that they used to provide free marketing for are the nation's foremost experts on the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo View Post
                I strongly disagree with the Gwoz firing. But to the extent that his firing was based on performance, it wasn't because he wasn't winning enough national championships. It was because he wasn't advancing past the first game of the tournament in 5 of the past 6 years. And in the other 1 of the 6 years, he lost in the 2nd game of the tournament. I don't know what the admin was thinking. But my own thought, is that if you're making the tournament every year, and if you have the talent that DU has had, and if you have the decent seedings that DU has had, and if you have a well-paid and good coach at the helm, you should expect to make it to the Frozen Four once every three or four years. I think everybody could understand losing the occasional first round game, and losing games in the Frozen Four if you make it that far. But the 1-5 record in the NCAA's since the 2005 national championship was a bit perplexing, even to those of us who fully supported Gwoz. There was just something "off" and "flat" about the team's NCAA tournament performances that was hard for many DU fans to understand, particularly in the aftermath of DU's 8-0 record in the NCAA tournaments of 2004 and 2005.
                The only real response I have to this is the fact that since that 2005 tournament the tournament as a whole has become far more of a crapshoot. It's not just Denver. Granted the 1-6 record in the last 6 tournaments is frustrating and everything but how many teams have made 6 straight tournaments? It does seem possibly reasonable to say that the 1-6 record in the last 6 NCAA tournaments does not merit DU giving Gwozdecky the big raise he thought he deserved, but at the same time, there are plenty of teams that would love to have that 6 year stretch, not to mention the last decade he has had.

Example: the 2007 tournament had 8 games won by the lower seed including two 4-seeds defeated 1-seeds and three different 3-seeds making it to the Frozen Four. Parity is in full effect and in the one & done format, anything can happen now. 1 is not that far apart from 16 anymore.
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by sk8tronthepond View Post
                  DING, DING, DING. Premature winner on the previous post. This guy gets it!!
                  There can't be two winners!
                  Huskys all the way

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                    Example: the 2007 tournament had 8 games won by the lower seed including two 4-seeds defeated 1-seeds and three different 3-seeds making it to the Frozen Four. Parity is in full effect and in the one & done format, anything can happen now. 1 is not that far apart from 16 anymore.
                    I agree that the increased parity makes the seedings and expectations different than they used to be. Also, the early defections from the top programs mean that you have senior-laden teams with good chemistry playing against more freshman and sophomore dominated teams. But I think that there is still enough of a difference between the "top 5" teams tournament teams and the "bottom 5" tournament teams (in terms of talent, quality of coaching, demonstrated record of success over the course of the season, etc.), where the top 5 teams should be reasonably expected to advance a round or two. Not as much of a difference as there used to be. But I don't think that it's a total crapshoot yet.
                    Last edited by Pablo; 04-04-2013, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thecalkid View Post
                      There can't be two winners!
                      You're right. I have to choose my words carefully on this big stage. The previous post claiming to be a winner was not a winner. Another question, did losing to CC in game 3 play into this? Look at the difference in the records of the two teams. Similar to the UNH game, penalty trouble.......was discipline an issue with this team?
                      I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by sk8tronthepond View Post
                        You're right. I have to choose my words carefully on this big stage. The previous post claiming to be a winner was not a winner. Another question, did losing to CC in game 3 play into this? Look at the difference in the records of the two teams. Similar to the UNH game, penalty trouble.......was discipline an issue with this team?
                        I don't know whether losing to CC played into it. I kind of doubt it, because after that loss, we all got the impression that the team would be well-served by not having to play in the Final Five. They needed some rest, due to injuries to a couple of their guys. So while that loss stung, the sting was lessened by our incorrect presumption that the loss would help us in the long run by having a rested team in the NCAA's--a presumption that is based on the "we don't want to go to the Final Five because we didn't go to the Final Five and it helped us win a title in 2004" thing.

Yes, discipline was a BIG issue for this team. DU was one of the most penalized teams in the league (and maybe the country). Which was really uncharacteristic of Gwoz's teams. They had a good penalty kill, but an occasionally horrible power play. This really hurt them, and the UNH game was a prime example of both untimely penalties and a poor power play.

Comment

Anyone here with an ear in the DU athletic offices have any confirmation of the rumor floated on the internet that DU was in talks to hire now BU head coach David Quinn before the NCAA tournament?
                          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Sound like BS to me, bb. Pretty sure JackPa leaving was no surprise at all to BU, that they had plenty of time to hire Quinn. I have no inside knowledge from anywhere, but I'd be surprised if he wasn't pretty much locked up by New Year's, but BU waited for the proper time to announce JackPa's pending retirement, and then an appropriate amount of time to introduce Quinn. Sounds like web conspiracies from internet nutcases.
                            bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                            SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                            All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                            A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                              Sounds like web conspiracies from internet nutcases.
                              It's being floated by everyone's favorite BC high school blogger :P
                              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Interesting article on the contrast between Mike Rice at Rudgers and Gwoz. For those who know Puck Swami, he makes a cameo appearance and has a brief comment on the situation in the comment section at the end.

Comment

Working...
                                X