Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gwoz Resigns from DU?

Originally posted by duper View Post
    For once in your life, you have a point.
    Yes. Once. Congrats on overcoming your hyperbole.

Here's the irony; the fact that you are actually a nice guy who just enjoys acting like a smug, pompous dick ion a public forum supports the fact that you don't have a clue what Gwoz is actually like.
    That isn't irony at all. Primarily, because it's complete nonsense. I do not enjoy acting like a smug, pompous dick here; that's a common misinterpretation. I have differing views about many things from the average poster here. I simply express those views forcefully and with a full vocabulary. This medium is one of the written word. Learn what irony actually is please ... and then try not inventing specious characterizations of what I've said to support your strawman interpretations.

There's a communication technique from which I think you might benefit greatly. It's called "perception checking". Look it up. If you ask me, I'll provide a link.
    Last edited by uaafanblog; 04-04-2013, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
      I think duper just beat donald with his own stick.
      Think again.

Comment

I think this thread has been very helpful to Denver fans, they now have a new nickname for their AD "The Hyphen".

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleA View Post
          Never mind. They just announced that "she will not be commenting" on the show today. She must have figured out what many of us learned as kids:
          "Nothing good can come of this!"
          And again, I'll bet she and her crew NEVER anticipated the backlash they've gotten this week since Monday's decision. If Peg had nuts, she couldn't count 'em twice and get the same answer.
          Gutless. Apparently she thinks she can keep the cone of silence on this siuation but she owes an answer to alumni, season tix holders, fans. She screwed this up royally and isn't willing to take the heat. The buck stops somewhere else. DU is not going get a top tier guy because of the way this thing was handled and continues to be handled.
          "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
            That isn't irony at all. Primarily, because it's complete nonsense. I do not enjoy acting like a smug, pompous dick here; that's a common misinterpretation. I have differing views about many things from the average poster here. I simply express those views forcefully and with a full vocabulary. This medium is one of the written word. Learn what irony actually is please ... and then try not inventing specious characterizations of what I've said to support your strawman interpretations.

There's a communication technique from which I think you might benefit greatly. It's called "perception checking". Look it up. If you ask me, I'll provide a link.
            I appreciate your desire to lend a different view but aren’t you troubled that hyphen AD hasn’t said boo about this matter. Apparently, skipped out on media appearance today. Doesn’t she owe the fans of this storied program an answer on what lead to the sudden separation, state of search for new head coach, etc.? She or the admin or more likely both are stonewalling.
            "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
              Gutless. Apparently she thinks she can keep the cone of silence on this siuation but she owes an answer to alumni, season tix holders, fans. She screwed this up royally and isn't willing to take the heat. The buck stops somewhere else. DU is not going get a top tier guy because of the way this thing was handled and continues to be handled.
              I would expect she is spending more time on the phone answering alums then going on a radio station to be attacked by locals.

This thought process of needing a top tier guy is truly a misnomer. What is needed is the right guy, not a top tier guy. Look away from hockey and look at coaches in other sports and how many succeeded at every level being the no name.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                Whatever he wants, no...thats all part of negotiating, but how much could they have really been off? That is the 6-figure question. How much longer is he likely to coach? It would have been interesting to have been a fly on the wall to see just how far apart they were and if the DU AD really had any interest in negotiating or had just come the realization that she did not want to give Gwoz the raise he probably deserved based on his success and what coaches like Pearson and Hastings were getting without the 19 year track record nor pay that $1 mil due at the end of Gwozdecky's 10 year extension.
                Agreed. I'm beginning to wonder if this is the AD moving to kill off an expensive sport that doesn't pull in much money (or at least trim the budget to offset the low revenue).

To be honest, it's probably the most bizarre coaching move I have ever seen. I can't recall another time when I've seen a coach with a resume as impressive being fired (or forced to resign) without some sort of scandal.

If I was a Denver fan, I'd be very worried about the future of the program. You have a coaching vacancy that's going to be extremely difficult to fill with someone that's going to have the same level of success Gwoz has seen. The athletic department has made it crystal clear they aren't willing to pay top notch money for results. If I'm an elite coach, I would have serious reservations about signing any sort of long-term contract there because I don't think the athletic department wants to spend the necessary money. Would my pay be locked in? Sure. But what about travel expenses? Facilities? Recruiting budgets? How do I know those aren't going to be slashed and now I'm stuck at a school that doesn't care about winning and it's dragging my reputation down with it.

Edit: If I'm a coach that's looking to make a name for himself on the big stage, I would also have serious doubts about signing with Denver. Why would I want to be hamstrung with a tiny budget when I can wait for a program that's willing to commit the necessary resources? Why would I risk ruining my chances at getting one of the nation's elite positions (assuming Denver falls out of that classification as a result of this firing)?
                Last edited by dxmnkd316; 04-04-2013, 02:32 PM.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                  I think this thread has been very helpful to Denver fans, they now have a new nickname for their AD "The Hyphen".
                  We affectionately refer to her as Dopey.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                    I would expect she is spending more time on the phone answering alums then going on a radio station to be attacked by locals.

This thought process of needing a top tier guy is truly a misnomer. What is needed is the right guy, not a top tier guy. Look away from hockey and look at coaches in other sports and how many succeeded at every level being the no name.
                    OK, so much for transparency. Don't answer to the folks who spend the hard earned $$$$ on tix. DU is (was) top tier program and as such deserves one.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                      Yes. Once. Congrats on overcoming your hyperbole.

Keep telling yourself this.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        Agreed. I'm beginning to wonder if this is the AD moving to kill off an expensive sport that doesn't pull in much money (or at least trim the budget to offset the low revenue).

To be honest, it's probably the most bizarre coaching move I have ever seen. I can't recall another time when I've seen a coach with a resume as impressive being fired (or forced to resign) without some sort of scandal.

If I was a Denver fan, I'd be very worried about the future of the program. You have a coaching vacancy that's going to be extremely difficult to fill with someone that's going to have the same level of success Gwoz has seen. The athletic department has made it crystal clear they aren't willing to pay top notch money for results. If I'm an elite coach, I would have serious reservations about signing any sort of long-term contract there because I don't think the athletic department wants to spend the necessary money. Would my pay be locked in? Sure. But what about travel expenses? Facilities? Recruiting budgets? How do I know those aren't going to be slashed and now I'm stuck at a school that doesn't care about winning and it's dragging my reputation down with it.

Edit: If I'm a coach that's looking to make a name for himself on the big stage, I would also have serious doubts about signing with Denver. Why would I want to be hamstrung with a tiny budget when I can wait for a program that's willing to commit the necessary resources? Why would I risk ruining my chances at getting one of the nation's elite positions (assuming Denver falls out of that classification as a result of this firing)?
                        It sounds to me like Denver belongs in the nWCHA, with all of the other schools that aren't fully committed to competing at the highest level.
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

The Denver Post thinks that hypen AD owes explanation.
                          http://www.denverpost.com/opinion/ci...firing-mystery

Denver Post is probably a liberal rag but you guys deserve an explanation.

Comment

I appreciate your desire to lend a different view but aren’t you troubled that hyphen AD hasn’t said boo about this matter. Apparently, skipped out on media appearance today. Doesn’t she owe the fans of this storied program an answer on what lead to the sudden separation, state of search for new head coach, etc.? She or the admin or more likely both are stonewalling.
                            I would definitely think she should give her rationale. Typically though people in her position don't like to do so for many reasons. One could be to cover their own arse which I think all the upset people here are just assuming is the case. Let's not forget though that this isn't a public university. Much as she might like to come out and say something like ... "Hey, the guy got paid a base of $211,000/yr and after incentives and camps etc he earned $400,000+ a year plus had a 1 million dollar "buyout/annuity" while forcing us to negotiate with an agent for an extension that would have cost the university something like 5 million dollars over the next 10 years" ... she really isn't able to due to his right to privacy. She probably could say "We ran the numbers and recognized that we couldn't afford him".

It isn't like DU hockey is some huge revenue generator. They don't sell the joint out and even if they did with the program's expenses they probably wouldn't be in the black. Are there remedies for that? Sure they could go to alums ... but with twats like DG constantly ragging on the administration over a cartoon mascot they probably are sick and tired of the negative feedback. How much of a headache and financial hit are they supposed to take? Maybe if DU won a national championship every other year they could find a justification.

Why doesn't someone ask George these questions? He's completely free to give the answers. She really isn't free to get specific. But again, yes ... she'd be smart to cover those issues in general.
                            Last edited by uaafanblog; 04-04-2013, 03:02 PM.

Comment

The Denver Post thinks that hypen AD owes explanation.
                              http://www.denverpost.com/opinion/ci...firing-mystery

Denver Post is probably a liberal rag but you guys deserve an explanation.
                              An editorial where they imply that Gwoz is paid less than the "median" of D1 hockey coaches. BS he was. He was one of the highest paid. They can't even read the data set that they quote.

Comment

Wow...the misinformation coming out of people on this thread who don't know **** about the DU hockey program is staggering. This thread has gone down the tubes.

Comment

Working...
                                X