PDA

View Full Version : Gwoz Resigns from DU?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30

Priceless
04-08-2013, 10:08 AM
Dude was making, at minimum, $210k base...before all other added income.
If he couldn't set up some sort of retirement plan on his own he's not nearly as smart as we all give him credit for.

If someone comes to you and says "We're going to give you $X for the rest of your life" you're going to turn it down? It isn't about whether or not he set aside money for his retirement, it's whether or not he was going to get even more for his retirement. Now he won't.

dggoddard
04-08-2013, 10:27 AM
Question, so DU doesn't have to pay out the annuity to Gwoz? Dener Post and others should keep pressure on school to provide answers. This lacks the transparency that liberal academia always call for..except when they have screwed up.DU pays the out the balloon payment and his salary next season. In other words, pay him NOT to coach.

scsutommyboy
04-08-2013, 10:33 AM
DU pays the out the balloon payment and his salary next season. In other words, pay him NOT to coach.

If that is the case I can see why Gwoz wouldn't say anything. he didn't get screwed out of any money, he just got let go. Can I get that deal at my job?:eek: I would be more than happy for them to show me to the door.:D

Siouxfaninseattle
04-08-2013, 10:37 AM
DU pays the out the balloon payment and his salary next season. In other words, pay him NOT to coach.

Are you saying this is what happened? Or that this is what should have happened?

dggoddard
04-08-2013, 11:04 AM
Are you saying this is what happened? Or that this is what should have happened?That's how buyouts work.

When a coach gets fired they still gets all their money.

The only time a coach isn't paid out is when he/she gets fired for "cause." A scandal of some sort that violates specific language in the contract.

That's why college coaches rarely get fired and almost always donors pay the buyout not the schools.

Hux
04-08-2013, 11:44 AM
Could you get any more metaphors into two sentences?

Hey, typing on the phone I was just trying to be concise. ;)

Alaska Hockey
04-08-2013, 12:04 PM
If that is the case I can see why Gwoz wouldn't say anything. he didn't get screwed out of any money, he just got let go. Can I get that deal at my job?:eek: I would be more than happy for them to show me to the door.:DHe got let go after 19 years, if would of completed 20 years would of received a retirement from DU of about 40- 50 % of his base wage (most are based like that). So he gets refunded what he paid into the account. But will not get the $80,000.00 to $105,000.00 per year for life if he would have completed his 20th year with DU. If you ever hold a job for that long I know you would be thrilled to be let go with a year’s severance pay instead of working for the last year and getting a pension for life. I am sure you would praise and tell everybody what a good deal you got…….a year’s pay for doing nothing but in 12 months you would thinking about that check for $6,666.00 –$8750.00 that would have been in your mailbox every month that you didn’t get. and say boy did I get a great deal ......thanks boss

gfmorris
04-08-2013, 12:06 PM
Sums up the AD's message nicely. Well done.

Heh. I was actually talking about ignoring Donald, but yes ...

GFM <— met Gwoz a decade ago, interviewed him about hockey, and has talked with UAH assistant Gavin Morgan ('99) about Gwoz before and especially now.

FlagDUDE08
04-08-2013, 12:10 PM
He got let go after 19 years, if would of completed 20 years would of received a retirement from DU of about 40- 50 % of his base wage (most are based like that). So he gets refunded what he paid into the account. But will not get the $80,000.00 to $105,000.00 per year for life if he would have completed his 20th year with DU. If you ever hold a job for that long I know you would be thrilled to be let go with a year’s severance pay instead of working for the last year and getting a pension for life. I am sure you would praise and tell everybody what a good deal you got…….a year’s pay for doing nothing but in 12 months you would thinking about that check for $6,666.00 –$8750.00 that would have been in your mailbox every month that you didn’t get. and say boy did I get a great deal ......thanks boss

If a retirement package comes with 20 years, it now makes sense why they threw him out. That's not all that unusual.

UncleRay
04-08-2013, 12:52 PM
He got let go after 19 years, if would of completed 20 years would of received a retirement from DU of about 40- 50 % of his base wage (most are based like that). So he gets refunded what he paid into the account. But will not get the $80,000.00 to $105,000.00 per year for life if he would have completed his 20th year with DU. If you ever hold a job for that long I know you would be thrilled to be let go with a year’s severance pay instead of working for the last year and getting a pension for life. I am sure you would praise and tell everybody what a good deal you got…….a year’s pay for doing nothing but in 12 months you would thinking about that check for $6,666.00 –$8750.00 that would have been in your mailbox every month that you didn’t get. and say boy did I get a great deal ......thanks bossDo you just flip a coin each time?

duper
04-08-2013, 01:17 PM
Do you just flip a coin each time?:D You must spread some reputation...

bunt_q
04-08-2013, 02:42 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/frei/ci_22976234/university-denver-prestigious-but-also-arrogant

Low blow from Frei, playing the Metro/Denver State card, but completely accurate and appropriate.

I suppose for those of us who shelled out a ton of money to that place, better to be thought of as arrogant than gutless. :)

bunt_q
04-08-2013, 02:46 PM
That's how buyouts work.

When a coach gets fired they still gets all their money.

The only time a coach isn't paid out is when he/she gets fired for "cause." A scandal of some sort that violates specific language in the contract.

That's why college coaches rarely get fired and almost always donors pay the buyout not the schools.

But wait, didn't uaahole (whatever his name is) already tell us that there was, in fact, a scandal? Dirty laundry of some sort. So why is DU paying then? Lots of money just to prove some know-it-all on a college hockey forum wrong.

vizoroo
04-08-2013, 02:57 PM
He got let go after 19 years, if would of completed 20 years would of received a retirement from DU of about 40- 50 % of his base wage (most are based like that). So he gets refunded what he paid into the account. But will not get the $80,000.00 to $105,000.00 per year for life if he would have completed his 20th year with DU. If you ever hold a job for that long I know you would be thrilled to be let go with a year’s severance pay instead of working for the last year and getting a pension for life. I am sure you would praise and tell everybody what a good deal you got…….a year’s pay for doing nothing but in 12 months you would thinking about that check for $6,666.00 –$8750.00 that would have been in your mailbox every month that you didn’t get. and say boy did I get a great deal ......thanks boss

Murray Armstrong at age 61 after twenty-one years (presumably 100% vested in his retirement plan) as DU's Hockey Coach, "The Chief" moved to Florida. He lived in the Sunshine State until his death, only one month short of his 95th birthday. Far exceeding the life expectancy of one born in 1916.

Since George Gwozdecky's father, Doc Gwoz, born 1913, lived to age 99, the Board of Trustees must have feared a similar payout to Coach Gwoz.
Insert Smiley for "Tongue In Cheek"

gfmorris
04-08-2013, 05:27 PM
One week and there's been no public comment other than a press release and a tweet amending said release from "resigned" to "released". This is weaksauce, DU.

GFM

cetihcra
04-08-2013, 07:24 PM
One week and there's been no public comment other than a press release and a tweet amending said release from "resigned" to "released". This is weaksauce, DU.

GFM

As a fan, it certainly would be nice to have a truthful statement from DU about this firing, however it really does no good for anybody involved.

Chances are the reasoning has been hit on in this thread at one point or another, and chances are there was a touch of bad blood on one or both sides....but there's no way the University would or should smear themselves, and they're certainly not going to smear a stand-up man who has given 19 years of his life to DU. In the end what matters is that they do a thorough search for a candidate that fits their values, and will help the program succeed. I'm sure that a few of the big-$ donors or alums can make a call and get the real story in confidence, but it truly does no good for the fans and community to know what went on beyond what was officially stated.

r

bunt_q
04-08-2013, 08:17 PM
do a thorough search for a candidate that fits their values, and will help the program succeed.

Of course, we as the public and alumni will have no way of evaluating this, since they won't tell us what those values are.

The Rube
04-08-2013, 09:53 PM

GFM

I think, due to the true nature (and supposed nature, which has been discussed on here), there really is nothing to gain by either side in mentioning anything. It can only hurt one or both sides in the future. Something about letting sleeping dogs lie........(or is it lay? I never remember the proper grammar for that phrase)

bunt_q
04-08-2013, 10:14 PM
As long as the Denver Post is dutifully writing nasty articles once a week, there's a lot to lose. DU has gotten more press in the last week than it normally does in a year, and none of it positive. A large price to pay for secrecy and to protect your AD, especially at a university that isn't exactly known as an athletic powerhouse. Today's editorial targeted the university itself; the only athletics reference was to compare DU's behavior in this instance to its disgraceful behavior at the state legislature. Did DU lose power at the state house this week? Absolutely. We need a sacrificial lamb, and soon. If that's Gwoz, fine, but somebody must be blamed.

scsutommyboy
04-08-2013, 10:25 PM

A college coach is a contracted employee, which is different than most Americans including me. Most likely if they pay him for that last year it counts toward his pension and his 20 years. I could be wrong here, but will never know unless I see the contract. Have you seen the contract?