X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gwoz Resigns from DU?

Originally posted by Thecalkid View Post
    O there starting up the mining and logging all over again
    Is this the opening line to a Yooper folk song? It sure isn't any recognizable form of the English language.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
      Very good points.....I wouldn't want to deal with his smug *** every day either.
      Have you ever had a beer with him and talked hockey? I have and while he certainly could have changed as it was years ago, he was a nice guy and anything but smug.

Comment

Originally posted by bunt_q View Post
        Right, same reason people tolerate living someplace as sh*tty as Michigan. At least you're close to someplace nice like Canada. People do still live in Michigan, right? (The laggards and welfare junkies who haven't noticed yet that all of the jobs left that state sometime last century.)
        Well, as a still-DU fan, I left Denver and my Pioneers' season tix 17 years ago to live in the beautiful lakes country of northern Michigan. Thankfully, Detroit only represents Detroit, and most of Michigan is a much nicer, far more scenic, and far more saner place. It has neither the setting nor the demographics of Motown. Ask the college hockey fans in Houghton, Marquette, Big Rapids, or Kalamazoo how much they connect to Detroit when they think Michigan. (!!!) I enjoyed my time in Denver but as it got increasingly Californicated in the 1990's, I found it was time to move my family to a small town where my recreation options were right out the back door and the setting was a better one for my children to become adults. All that said, I remain an ardent Pio fan and think that The Hyphen made a huge mistake that will be tough to overcome.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
          Is this the opening line to a Yooper folk song? It sure isn't any recognizable form of the English language.
          I don't know what you're talking aboot; I understood it just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by MichPieGuy View Post
            Well, as a still-DU fan, I left Denver and my Pioneers' season tix 17 years ago to live in the beautiful lakes country of northern Michigan. Thankfully, Detroit only represents Detroit, and most of Michigan is a much nicer, far more scenic, and far more saner place. It has neither the setting nor the demographics of Motown. Ask the college hockey fans in Houghton, Marquette, Big Rapids, or Kalamazoo how much they connect to Detroit when they think Michigan. (!!!) I enjoyed my time in Denver but as it got increasingly Californicated in the 1990's, I found it was time to move my family to a small town where my recreation options were right out the back door and the setting was a better one for my children to become adults. All that said, I remain an ardent Pio fan and think that The Hyphen made a huge mistake that will be tough to overcome.
            Anything south of Chassel is Detroit.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
              If Doppes and staff can't negotiate on a fair market value salary commensurate with Gwoz's record, character and coaching ability, IMO they are nothing more than redundant clods disconnected to today's high standard of what is required to consistently win in college hockey.
              Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              If the DU administration didn't want to spend what Gwozdecky wanted for a salary, it seems to me the appropriate action is to go to the alumni and ask for donations to cover the difference between what they wanted to pay and what they could get him to agree to. I highly doubt that would have been difficult to sell the DU hockey alumni on the idea. Instead they just cut ties with one of the best coaches in college hockey.
              So, in other words, Denver should have just given him whatever he was demanding, no matter what it was. Got it.
              My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                Anything south of Chassel is Detroit.
                Our school's AD is a Chassel native, and it's nice country! If I blindfolded you and took you to where I live, you wouldn't think you were in the LP. It's why I'm here. When I'm not north of the bridge with a fly rod in hand.

Comment

Originally posted by MichPieGuy View Post
                  Our school's AD is a Chassel native, and it's nice country! If I blindfolded you and took you to where I live, you wouldn't think you were in the LP. It's why I'm here. When I'm not north of the bridge with a fly rod in hand.
                  Oh, I've been to BFE northern LP. My best friend from college lives in that country. Still not the same as the UP, and I'm not saying whethere that is a good, or bad thing.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                    What about Gwoz makes you think he's anything less than one of the most self-important coaches in college hockey?
                    I have met Gwozdecky face to face about six times outside of just a hello and shake of the hands. One time during a select-a-seat I got there early and there was about a dozen of us having a chance to talk to the coach for about a half an hour. He spoke about the program, the players, and about his family, then asked everyone some sort of question that showed interest in them. I knew it was genuine because I ran into him about six months later in the Springs and he asked me about my wife. Spoke nothing about hockey, just about our families and what was going on. I have had some longer talks on hockey, and he was humbled and nothing indicating pompous. Last time I met with him was late last year waiting at a restaurant. He had an interaction with my four year old son that was wonderful. I had the chance to tell him I appreciate him and his contributions to the team, school, and city. His response was classy, and thanked the players and his support staff, but also the fans, students, and alumni. My 19 month old son was being his typical ham and even after we sat, Gwozdecky waved at him across the room.

I have known others who had a beer with him, sat next to him on an airplane, and many others who are not DU alumni, STH, or even hockey fans who have nothing to say but praise about Gwozdecky.

Comment

Originally posted by COHockey View Post
                      I have met Gwozdecky face to face about six times outside of just a hello and shake of the hands. One time during a select-a-seat I got there early and there was about a dozen of us having a chance to talk to the coach for about a half an hour. He spoke about the program, the players, and about his family, then asked everyone some sort of question that showed interest in them. I knew it was genuine because I ran into him about six months later in the Springs and he asked me about my wife. Spoke nothing about hockey, just about our families and what was going on. I have had some longer talks on hockey, and he was humbled and nothing indicating pompous. Last time I met with him was late last year waiting at a restaurant. He had an interaction with my four year old son that was wonderful. I had the chance to tell him I appreciate him and his contributions to the team, school, and city. His response was classy, and thanked the players and his support staff, but also the fans, students, and alumni. My 19 month old son was being his typical ham and even after we sat, Gwozdecky waved at him across the room.

I have known others who had a beer with him, sat next to him on an airplane, and many others who are not DU alumni, STH, or even hockey fans who have nothing to say but praise about Gwozdecky.
                      Meanwhile Donald continues to be the most smug, condescending and self-important poster on this site.

Comment

I personally have a high opinion of Gwoz, but I'd just point out that having a high-level business relationship with someone, a fan encounter, or a friendly beer with the same person are generally speaking, apples, oranges, and pink elephants.
                        Originally posted by WiscTJK
                        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                        Originally posted by Timothy A
                        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                          Meanwhile Donald continues to be the most smug, condescending and self-important poster on this site.
                          And I'd challenge you to find anybody who's sat down and had a beer with me and talked to hockey or anything else who would say I was anything but personable, engaging and enjoyable to with.

Contemplate this on the tree of woe.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                            And I'd challenge you to find anybody who's sat down and had a beer with me and talked to hockey or anything else who would say I was anything but personable, engaging and enjoyable to with.

Contemplate this on the tree of woe.
                            For once in your life, you have a point. I have met two people who talked about meeting you, and they both thought you were a really nice guy.

Here's the irony; the fact that you are actually a nice guy who just enjoys acting like a smug, pompous dick ion a public forum supports the fact that you don't have a clue what Gwoz is actually like. The fact is, the private guy is MUCH more likely to be the real guy than the public guy.

Comment

I think duper just beat donald with his own stick.
                              bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                              SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                              All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                              A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
                                So, in other words, Denver should have just given him whatever he was demanding, no matter what it was. Got it.
                                Whatever he wants, no...thats all part of negotiating, but how much could they have really been off? That is the 6-figure question. How much longer is he likely to coach? It would have been interesting to have been a fly on the wall to see just how far apart they were and if the DU AD really had any interest in negotiating or had just come the realization that she did not want to give Gwoz the raise he probably deserved based on his success and what coaches like Pearson and Hastings were getting without the 19 year track record nor pay that $1 mil due at the end of Gwozdecky's 10 year extension.
                                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Working...
                                X