PDA

View Full Version : Gwoz Resigns from DU?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

HarleyMC
04-06-2013, 01:22 AM
Adam Wodon (http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2013/04/03_rocky_mountain_low.php) has a very good analysis on the Gwoz firing.

Mike Rane
04-06-2013, 01:37 AM
Adam Wodon (http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2013/04/03_rocky_mountain_low.php) has a very good analysis on the Gwoz firing.

Yes, indeed. Very well stated.

Alaska Hockey
04-06-2013, 02:46 AM
my 2 cents probably money...... or He really ****ed off somebody above and as non union appointed staff was fired.

bunt_q
04-06-2013, 11:52 AM

Good analysis. And still no answers.

Now we can all sit back and wait for the brilliant people of the north to tell us how this is all wrong.

willythekid
04-06-2013, 11:56 AM
I thought he should have been fired after he was caught cheating.

Runsub5
04-06-2013, 12:01 PM
My perception is that he thought he was larger and more powerful than the institution he was representing.

Alaska Hockey
04-06-2013, 07:37 PM
Good analysis. And still no answers.

Now we can all sit back and wait for the brilliant people of the north to tell us how this is all wrong.

As part of the blue collar work force I feel for Gwoz 19 years and no retirement.......D U handbook .. have to do 20 at DU to collect a check. It sucks

chickod
04-06-2013, 09:21 PM
That's actually the exact opposite of truth, unless you're only talking about the view from the city. CS is my home, and no doubt Pikes Peak is a better view to wake up to than anything visible from Denver. But the mountains west of the Springs have no depth - it's just the Pikes Peak massif - whereas the bulk of the central mountains are immediately west of Denver. In terms of recreation opportunities, spectacular sights, etc., sadly Denver kicks CS's arse. Of course, you would have to leave the city to know that.

My Dad and I spent a week in Denver/Boulder many years ago for a convention. We loved it there...

Red Cows
04-06-2013, 09:25 PM
IMHO, this is the type of Head Coach you want to FIND for your program, not get rid of. This would seem to be a step back for the Pios.

carltonbarrett
04-06-2013, 09:27 PM
As part of the blue collar work force I feel for Gwoz 19 years and no retirement.......D U handbook .. have to do 20 at DU to collect a check. It sucks

Wow, that is harsh....

Stauber1
04-06-2013, 09:47 PM

Dude was making, at minimum, $210k base...before all other added income.
If he couldn't set up some sort of retirement plan on his own he's not nearly as smart as we all give him credit for.

To be clear, you will not find a more avid supporter of the blue-collar workforce than myself. I also think that DU letting Gwozdecky go was a very bad move (and, although I freely admit I don't have all the facts, I can't shake the feeling that it was a bit unfair for how long he put in and where he took the program). But financially the guy is still more than set.

And it's not like he was doing work that isn't going to be marketable in the economy or that caused physical wear and tear that leaves him incapable of other forms of labor.

Suze
04-06-2013, 11:17 PM
Dude was making, at minimum, $210k base...before all other added income.
If he couldn't set up some sort of retirement plan on his own he's not nearly as smart as we all give him credit for.

To be clear, you will not find a more avid supporter of the blue-collar workforce than myself. I also think that DU letting Gwozdecky go was a very bad move (and, although I freely admit I don't have all the facts, I can't shake the feeling that it was a bit unfair for how long he put in and where he took the program). But financially the guy is still more than set.

And it's not like he was doing work that isn't going to be marketable in the economy or that caused physical wear and tear that leaves him incapable of other forms of labor.

woosh

DoubleA
04-06-2013, 11:34 PM
Wow, that is harsh....
CARL-ton BAR-rett
DA-DA............Da-Da-Da

DoubleA
04-06-2013, 11:41 PM
My Dad and I spent a week in Denver/Boulder many years ago for a convention. We loved it there...
This is a college hockey thread about the DU hockey coach getting unexpectedly and unjustifiably canned. Did you mean to post this note about your trip on TripAdvisor?

MavsFan
04-06-2013, 11:43 PM
My perception is that he thought he was larger and more powerful than the institution he was representing.Bobby Knight syndrome.

Stauber1
04-07-2013, 12:56 AM
woosh

Apparently :o

HarleyMC
04-07-2013, 01:23 AM
I find it uncanny that the DU admin. will not provide a public explanation to the media and college hockey fans around the nation that have been riveted by this story, which appears to the general public as a mysteriously reckless and ill advised act of terminating one of the premier coaches in college hockey.

Goddard states:

There's also a possibility that DU is afraid of potential litigation and anything said publicly or privately could be brought up later. Did the university follow all of its internal protocols when firing a university employee? Did the university's Board of Trustees follow their own by-laws when agreeing to buy out the contract? Did the Board's Athletic Affairs Committee act within their own purview when making this decision? Were any federal or state laws violated when buying out the Gwozdecky contract?

I highly doubt that is the case. DU has apparently been contemplating this decision for weeks. It seems likely that even if DU had won against UNH, he still would have been shown the door. Not to consider all potential avenues of jurisprudence regarding the ramifications of firing a high profile coach like Gwoz would be a serious dereliction of duty by the admin. and trustees resulting in severe public and legal consequences for DU. I'm sure DU had all their ducks in a row or they won't be avoiding embarrassing and protracted litigation anyway, regardless of whether they make a public statement or not. If they performed due diligence on their decision, then what is there to hide from the scrutiny of those who want to ask the hard questions?

Runsub5
04-07-2013, 06:42 AM
Bobby Knight syndrome.

Good analogy.

chickod
04-07-2013, 08:56 AM
This is a college hockey thread about the DU hockey coach getting unexpectedly and unjustifiably canned. Did you mean to post this note about your trip on TripAdvisor?

Figures that the only person who would criticize a comment like that is from Boston...he was describing some of the aesthetic features (you DO know what that word means, right?) of the area and I was just acknowledging that. If you don't like it don't read it.

AspyDad
04-07-2013, 12:41 PM
Figures that the only person who would criticize a comment like that is from Boston...he was describing some of the aesthetic features (you DO know what that word means, right?) of the area and I was just acknowledging that. If you don't like it don't read it.

Question, so DU doesn't have to pay out the annuity to Gwoz? Dener Post and others should keep pressure on school to provide answers. This lacks the transparency that liberal academia always call for..except when they have screwed up.