Gwoz Resigns from DU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DoubleA View Post
    What time is Ms. Snapper-Doppes going to be on 850 KOA this morning?
    Listening but haven't heard anything yet...
    Sometime between 7-9am during the Colorado morning news. I'm not sure they give anything more specific than that.

Comment

• Re: Gwoz Resigns from DU?

Originally posted by DoubleA View Post
      What time is Ms. Snapper-Doppes going to be on 850 KOA this morning? Listening but haven't heard anything yet...
      Never mind. They just announced that "she will not be commenting" on the show today. She must have figured out what many of us learned as kids:
      "Nothing good can come of this!"
      And again, I'll bet she and her crew NEVER anticipated the backlash they've gotten this week since Monday's decision. If Peg had nuts, she couldn't count 'em twice and get the same answer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        And they are not even in the mountains! That's CO Springs. Denver has foothills. They are CLOSE to the mountains.
        That's actually the exact opposite of truth, unless you're only talking about the view from the city. CS is my home, and no doubt Pikes Peak is a better view to wake up to than anything visible from Denver. But the mountains west of the Springs have no depth - it's just the Pikes Peak massif - whereas the bulk of the central mountains are immediately west of Denver. In terms of recreation opportunities, spectacular sights, etc., sadly Denver kicks CS's arse. Of course, you would have to leave the city to know that.

Comment

• Originally posted by DoubleA View Post
          Never mind. They just announced that "she will not be commenting" on the show today. She must have figured out what many of us learned as kids:
          "Nothing good can come of this!"
          And again, I'll bet she and her crew NEVER anticipated the backlash they've gotten this week since Monday's decision. If Peg had nuts, she couldn't count 'em twice and get the same answer.
          I caught that too. She's chicken sh*t.

Comment

Brent, I'm not sure what you're talking about, Colorado Springs isn't "in the mountains" either. They're both close to the mountains. Its like, Minneapolis/St. Paul isn't in Wisconsin, it is close to Wisconsin.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

To easterners The Mile High City must be in the mountains. That doesn't explain Brent however.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                Brent, I'm not sure what you're talking about, Colorado Springs isn't "in the mountains" either. They're both close to the mountains. Its like, Minneapolis/St. Paul isn't in Wisconsin, it is close to Wisconsin.
                Right, same reason people tolerate living someplace as sh*tty as Michigan. At least you're close to someplace nice like Canada. People do still live in Michigan, right? (The laggards and welfare junkies who haven't noticed yet that all of the jobs left that state sometime last century.)

Comment

Originally posted by bunt_q View Post
                  Right, same reason people tolerate living someplace as sh*tty as Michigan. At least you're close to someplace nice like Canada. People do still live in Michigan, right? (The laggards and welfare junkies who haven't noticed yet that all of the jobs left that state sometime last century.)
                  I agree. Michigan is a massive ****hole, especially the parts that are very close to Canada.
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                    I'll stand by what I said: Gwoz may be worth more to another organization. He may be worth elsewhere what he was asking for. We may believe Gwoz is worth what he was asking for (whatever that was). An independent consultant could deem him worth what he was asking for. But if DU doesn't believe he is worth it, he's not going to get it. It's really that simple...
                    Clearly correct, but HarleyMC's core message is also clear and correct. He's not denying that the admins control the pursestrings. He's just saying the Denver AD used that power very unwisely in this case, and provides some nice arguments to support that conclusion. His first sentence should have started out: "True, but in this case the leadership's valuation was clearly myopic ..." The rest of his post was fine.

Comment

So am I the only one with talk radio on in his office? Kinda funny, they keep poking at the dear A-D. They could have just said, "she won't make it today," but instead, every 10 minutes they mention how she was to come on to discuss the Gwoz situation...BUT...blah blah blah. This isn't even sports radio, it's regular news radio!

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                        Clearly correct, but HarleyMC's core message is also clear and correct. He's not denying that the admins control the pursestrings. He's just saying the Denver AD used that power very unwisely in this case, and provides some nice arguments to support that conclusion. His first sentence should have started out: "True, but in this case the leadership's valuation was clearly myopic ..." The rest of his post was fine.
                        If the DU administration didn't want to spend what Gwozdecky wanted for a salary, it seems to me the appropriate action is to go to the alumni and ask for donations to cover the difference between what they wanted to pay and what they could get him to agree to. I highly doubt that would have been difficult to sell the DU hockey alumni on the idea. Instead they just cut ties with one of the best coaches in college hockey.
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I am really skeptical that it had anything to do with salary. Even if there was a gap there, we'd be talking a 6-figure gap at the worst...certainly money that DU could scrounge up if they wanted to.

EDIT: That is, unless all of the alumni out there react to the fundraising calls the same way I do. "I'll give when my oppressive student loan debt is paid off." Considering that's scheduled to happen shortly after my 54th birthday, it'll be a while yet.
                          Last edited by bunt_q; 04-04-2013, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                            Instead they just cut ties with one of the best coaches in college hockey.
                            And what if one of the best coaches in college hockey is also the most difficult to deal with. What about Gwoz makes you think he's anything less than one of the most self-important coaches in college hockey? Would you dispute the observation that this was a guy who saw himself as some sort of NHL-style GM? I'm sure there are others on this board that noticed how big the dude's head was. Does the admin set that program back with her decision? Very well may have. Get the right guy in the new position and there's no reason to think the program can't continue it's recruiting success. That's all left to see, it could go the other way as well.

There can be little doubt that DU's A.D. didn't make this decision without the full knowledge and support of her superiors. If Gwoz had that many people above him who weren't as enamored with him as everybody else in college hockey seems to be today then he should be glad he can go find a different job where someone will allow him to reign as he chooses.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                              And what if one of the best coaches in college hockey is also the most difficult to deal with. What about Gwoz makes you think he's anything less than one of the most self-important coaches in college hockey? Would you dispute the observation that this was a guy who saw himself as some sort of NHL-style GM? I'm sure there are others on this board that noticed how big the dude's head was. Does the admin set that program back with her decision? Very well may have. Get the right guy in the new position and there's no reason to think the program can't continue it's recruiting success. That's all left to see, it could go the other way as well.

There can be little doubt that DU's A.D. didn't make this decision without the full knowledge and support of her superiors. If Gwoz had that many people above him who weren't as enamored with him as everybody else in college hockey seems to be today then he should be glad he can go find a different job where someone will allow him to reign as he chooses.
                              Very good points.....I wouldn't want to deal with his smug *** every day either.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by bunt_q View Post
                                O there starting up the mining and logging all over again
                                Huskys all the way

Comment

Working...
                                X