Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gwoz Resigns from DU?

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
    Why go to a school that wants to decrease your budget and emphasis on hockey?
    I said they were going after him, I don't know if he'd leave or not...

It is pretty obvious that DU is not very like-minded, though.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
      I said they were going after him, I don't know if he'd leave or not...

It is pretty obvious that DU is not very like-minded, though.
      I hear you. I think Mike's job is a little underrated right now. Especially if we get the facilities bond from the state. He's got a chance to establish a program among the top of the conference year in and year out, being a contender for the NCAAs frequently.

I feel like it would take a lot of money to hire him, and with a 225k base already in Mankato, I'm not sure home much DU would be interested in that.
      AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Gwoz fired?
        He was one of the main architects of the NCHC formation, right?
        Interesting. I know the organizing hasn't gone well, but the thing hasn't even started up yet officially.

I will fondly recall his meltdown in a game at Tech a year or two ago. He was upset with his team for losing, so pulled the goalie about halfway through and made his skaters stay out there and watch while Tech scored about 3 or 4 unanswered on the open net. The DU players were completely humiliated and gave up on skating thereafter. George presumably calmed down after a week or two and maybe even apologized. For whatever reasons several of those players didn't return to the team.
        We don't have enough "unconventional" characters like that anymore. Someone should hire him for the entertainment value, even if he has the maturity of a 3rd grader.
        Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
        USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
          I tend to lean Donald's direction on this. I think the speculation around here is more accurate than what was written in that article.
          Not to get off the subject but here's the deal in this joint with regard to situations like this; don't tow the party line and your "worthless" or "an a-hole" or whatever. Just because DU fans worship the dude doesn't mean there aren't other perspectives on the person. Like anyone, I'm sure Gwoz is a mixture of self-interest and program loyalty. In this case, I don't feel the slightest hesitation to say that he was more self-interested than loyal to the program. Doesn't mean he's some evil being and I never said anything along such lines ... though from the reaction my mildly critical comments have gotten you'd think I libeled the man then peed in his shoes.

He wanted a bigger base salary. Some DU fans here on this board apparently don't read the annual season threads in which this topic has been discussed and confirmed and analyzed by other DU fans pointing out how Gwoz was trying to get the most leverage he possibly could for his next contract. Or where they talked about how the DU administration was the driving force behind trying to negotiate a new contract. I'm not sorry that I think the guy played with fire and got burned.

Allow me to ask one question ... How man other NCAA D1 hockey coaches have a contract with a professional sports "agent"? If that's not an indication of someone that has a wee bit more "self-interest" than his peers then I don't know what is.

Get off your high "gwoz was a god" horses for a minute or two and use some reasoning. Again, none of that makes the dude an evil person anymore than any other human. We are all self-interested to varying degrees.
          Last edited by uaafanblog; 04-02-2013, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
            Gwoz fired?
            He was one of the main architects of the NCHC formation, right?
            Interesting. I know the organizing hasn't gone well, but the thing hasn't even started up yet officially.
            That is why he got fired! He and UND are the reason why college hockey has changed. Maybe Hak is next?
            Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
            dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
            wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
              Not to get off the subject but here's the deal in this joint with regard to situations like this; don't tow the party line and your "worthless" or "an a-hole" or whatever. Just because DU fans worship the dude doesn't mean there aren't other perspectives on the person. Like anyone, I'm sure Gwoz is a mixture of self-interest and program loyalty. In this case, I don't feel the slightest hesitation to say that he was more self-interested than loyal to the program. Doesn't mean he's some evil being and I never said anything along such lines ... though from the reaction my mildly critical comments have gotten you'd think I libeled the man then peed in his shoes.

He wanted a bigger base salary. Some DU fans here on this board apparently don't read the annual season threads in which this topic has been discussed and confirmed and analyzed by other DU fans pointing out how Gwoz was trying to get the most leverage he possibly could for his next contract. Or where they talked about how the DU administration was the driving force behind trying to negotiate a new contract. I'm not sorry that I think the guy played with fire and got burned.

Allow me to ask one question ... How man other NCAA D1 hockey coaches have a contract with a professional sports "agent"? If that's not an indication of someone that has a wee bit more "self-interest" than his peers then I don't know what is.

Get off your high "gwoz was a god" horses for a minute or two and use some reasoning. Again, none of that makes the dude an evil person anymore than any other human. We are all self-interested to varying degrees.

I can't find any trolling in this post. W T F?

Good points.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                I can't find any trolling in this post. W T F?

Good points.
                When the guy is serious he usually is dead on.
                Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                  That is why he got fired! He and UND are the reason why college hockey has changed. Maybe Hak is next?
                  I thought the big however many there are now was the reason. Or perhaps we should fire Terry Pegula?

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                    Gwoz fired?
                    I will fondly recall his meltdown in a game at Tech a year or two ago. He was upset with his team for losing, so pulled the goalie about halfway through and made his skaters stay out there and watch while Tech scored about 3 or 4 unanswered on the open net. The DU players were completely humiliated and gave up on skating thereafter. George presumably calmed down after a week or two and maybe even apologized. For whatever reasons several of those players didn't return to the team.
                    We don't have enough "unconventional" characters like that anymore. Someone should hire him for the entertainment value, even if he has the maturity of a 3rd grader.
                    http://collegehockeystats.net/1112/boxes/mdenmtu1.o28 is the box if you're curious.

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                      That's funny. I didn't get past the official attendance of 2,175

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                        That's funny. I didn't get past the official attendance of 2,175
                        Just wait until your team is coming off a 4-win season and see how many people show up in that s-hole that is Magness. Based on yesterday, I don't think we're too far away from finding out just how empty Magness can get.
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

The bottom line is that DU hasn't been one of the upper echelon teams for several years now and the AD apparently doesn't feel like its going to get better anytime soon under the current coaching staff. They've certainly had the talent, so I guess it must be the coach???

Comment

Cos opinion's aren't like bungholes?
                            but a lot more diarrhea comes out of some than others.

Cos perspective works both ways?
                            And your perspective, which you love to spout, is based on ignorance and stupidity.

Cos putting an emoticon at the end of your anger means you aren't really angry.
                            Yep, keep telling yourself you are worth enough to me to make me angry. It will probably make you feel better about yourself. What you are is a complete bag of ******, which makes you fun as hell to troll. Especially when your responses to it are as inane, ill thought out, grammatically stupid, and pointless as the above.

No one, and I mean no one, is on this horse. No one thought he was perfect or infallible. We all think that he is the best coach DU has had in many many years, which is certainly nothing more or less than the truth. But yes, we DU fans consider your opinion of him worthless, because we know for a fact that it isn't based on 19 years of observing who he is and how he goes about his business, it is based on your personal bitterness based on a very small number of incidents that you CHOOSE to focus on while ignoring the vast majority of what you see.

bbdl is doing the same thing, but he is not nearly as big an a-hole as you, which makes trolling his posts much less fun than trolling yours. (much like you, Donald, I enjoy the hell out of irritating people. You aren't the first to assume that I take myself seriously.)

As for the agent thing, who cares? Apparently they don't all have agents. That is weird, I would think they would. I can't imagine why a coach wouldn't have one.

So yeah, he wanted more money than the school would give. At your job, if the company won't pay you what you want, do you stick around forever out of loyalty? That's kind of a stupid thing to fault a guy for. And it certainly doesn't prove that he's only out for himself.
                            Last edited by duper; 04-02-2013, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                              My hunch is Timmay.
                              Ohhh we wish! They wouldn't take Whitehead if we covered him in inch thick 18K gold and paid his entire salary for 5 years!
                              Which raises the question: where the heLL will Whitehead go when Maine cuts him loose? John Bapst wouldn't even consider him.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleA View Post
                                Ohhh we wish! They wouldn't take Whitehead if we covered him in inch thick 18K gold and paid his entire salary for 5 years!
                                Which raises the question: where the heLL will Whitehead go when Maine cuts him loose? John Bapst wouldn't even consider him.
                                The Tallahassee Warthogs.

Comment

Working...
                                X