Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gwoz Resigns from DU?

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I have a hunch, and it is that they're going after Hastings.

(I have no actual information, like I said, just a hunch)
    I have two non-Hastings hunches but yours is just as valid as mine.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
      I have a hunch, and it is that they're going after Hastings.

(I have no actual information, like I said, just a hunch)
      I know Lucia went from CC to the U of M, but besides that has a WCHA head coach ever left their team for another team within the conference?
      Originally posted by SJHovey
      Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
      Originally posted by Brenthoven
      We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
        I know Lucia went from CC to the U of M, but besides that has a WCHA head coach ever left their team for another team within the conference?
        Sauer from CC to Wisconsin
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2013...ter-at-denver/

Must read.
          "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Both Denver's and Mankato's seasons are over, they're not in the same conference anymore.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Al Renfrew from Michigan Tech to North Dakota to Michigan in 3 years...
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                Meh. It's an alleged analysis of the situation that completely ignores Gwoz's obvious monetary demands. Not a must read at all. There's plenty of better analysis in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                  Meh. It's an alleged analysis of the situation that completely ignores Gwoz's obvious monetary demands. Not a must read at all. There's plenty of better analysis in this thread.
                  Meh yourself. They jerked Gwoz around on his contract.
                  "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                    Meh yourself. They jerked Gwoz around on his contract.
                    They didn't. "They" had been trying to come to terms with him for quite some time. "He" jerked them around.

Comment

Stauber has it about right in one of his posts above.

Gwoz was imagining himself as the GM of DU Hockey ... he was "Burkeing" it. No way he goes to some podunk gig to rebuild anything or go to Omaha. He doesn't have what that takes anyway. This is a guy who wants to have his cake and eat it too. I can't feature him as an assistant in the NHL even. He'll be all about a B1G gig. In his mind he is a big fish in a big pond kind of guy. He'd take a gig overseas head coaching somewhere perhaps before he'd stoop to anything less than a B1G job.
                      You realize that your opinion is worthless on this issue, right Donald? All of you idiots that have nothing to say about Gwoz other than how big an a-hole he is are obviously blind and stupid when it comes to seeing what he does and what he's about. Go **** yourself, and have a nice day.

Comment

I have two non-Hastings hunches but yours is just as valid as mine.
                        so why don't you share your hunches?

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
                          You realize that your opinion is worthless on this issue, right Donald? All of you idiots that have nothing to say about Gwoz other than how big an a-hole he is are obviously blind and stupid when it comes to seeing what he does and what he's about. Go **** yourself, and have a nice day.
                          This whole situation makes me feel like the NCHC was more of an athletic department thing than Gwozdecky at DU.

Comment

Gentlemen (and I use that term loosely), it's a contract negotiation - neither side jerked the other side around. Gwoz (and his agents) incorrectly concluded that DU wasn't going to terminate him given his performance over the last 10 to 12 years puts him second to only York of BC in terms of accomplishments in spite of his financial demands (and any personality or ego conflicts). The Powers That Be at DU decided that in spite of his teams on-ice accompishments, Gwoz wasn't worth the money he was demanding (and any personality or ego conflicts), only time will tell is they were also incorrect.

I feel for whomever the school gets as their next coach, anytime you follow a legend who goes out near the top of their game you have to match what they did in the next few seasons or ALL the doubters over the decisions will come out of the shadows.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                              This whole situation makes me feel like the NCHC was more of an athletic department thing than Gwozdecky at DU.
                              I have been on record as saying that I didn't like the way the formation of the NCHC happened, and who knows exactly how it came to pass. Whatever happened, it was clearly reaction to the BTHC. I suspect that people over-reacted, but I certainly understand the instinct that you have to do what's right for you. I think some of you guys rooting for teams staying in the WCHA went off the deep end, but I also understand why you did that. When what someone else thinks is best for them screws me, I'm going to be pretty ****ed.

That said, Gwozdecky has shown repeatedly, both publicly and privately, that he is a good guy, and handles himself with dignity and class. I will absolutely root for him to succeed in any future coaching position he might take (and yes, that would even include CC).

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                                Gentlemen (and I use that term loosely), it's a contract negotiation - neither side jerked the other side around. Gwoz (and his agents) incorrectly concluded that DU wasn't going to terminate him given his performance over the last 10 to 12 years puts him second to only York of BC in terms of accomplishments in spite of his financial demands (and any personality or ego conflicts). The Powers That Be at DU decided that in spite of his teams on-ice accompishments, Gwoz wasn't worth the money he was demanding (and any personality or ego conflicts), only time will tell is they were also incorrect.

I feel for whomever the school gets as their next coach, anytime you follow a legend who goes out near the top of their game you have to match what they did in the next few seasons or ALL the doubters over the decisions will come out of the shadows.
                                Agreed, it was more of a game of chicken than anyone jerking the other side around. Gwoz wanted more money than DU wanted to pay and DU finally decided he wasn't worth that...The question is how much was Gwoz asking for because Head Coach $$s have escalated quite a bit of the last few years with the contracts given to coaches like Sandelin, Pearson and Hastings. Michigan Tech went from 2nd or 3rd lowest in base salary to HC to the highest (depending on Gwoz and Owens which is not public knowledge). The game has changed over the last few years so maybe Gwoz thought he could get alot more than Pearson and company and DU feels more comfortable paying their coach $250-300k even if it means cutting Gwoz loose. As you say Almington, only time will tell if they made the right choice in not showing Gwoz the money. The toughest part about this decision is the timing with the NCHC transition. It will be a tough spot for whoever they hire to deal with that transition on top of other normal changes with a new coach.

Comment

Working...
                                X